A few cheap Land Rovers coming on the market soon perhaps? ......

CwazyWabbit

Apparently the Hoegh Osaka grounded in the Solent last night was carrying 1400 new cars including Land/Range Rover http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-30673439 and http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11700873.Hopes_to_free_stricken_ship_fade___LIVE_UPDATES/

Anyone reckon the tie down lashings will have survived being lent over at 45 degrees? What happens to the vehicles if they get damaged during salvage? Will they go back to the manufacturer?

I suppose as they were leaving the UK they will not be UK spec vehicles, they were heading for Germany so probably left hand drive. Although if they are scrapped there'll be plenty of 'as new' parts .... Maybe Ross will get a TDV8 for his 90 ;)

• Like 2

IMO If LR go for an isurance payout, which is the most likely as when you've got a production line it's generally easier to get paid out at cost + inconvenience of a late delivery than to take back cars that need to be pulled apart by hand and inspected for faults before being repaired, therefore they become the property of the insurance company who in turn either sell them to a cost recovery company or auction them directly. Depending on the damage they will either be put back on the road by smaller companies as no recorded damage, accident damaged or broken for parts / scrapped.

A few examples I've seen go through CO PART were a large batch of new vauxhalls with hale stone damage to the top surfaces (loads of dents) or some flood damaged peugeots that a local garage bought and are running as courtesy cars.

Either way I'm sure it'll involve phone slamming :)

When I worked at JLR the company line was that every vehicle was built to fulfill an order, not just speculative production for stock. That said, it may be that dealers/international distributors specify vehicles and place orders to hold their own stock. Equally things may have changed in the last 7 years, and it may just have been marketing hype anyway :)

Really? They'll have the new ones built before the ship is floating again at that rate!

According to JLR they sold 425000 vehicles last year, if we assume that all of those vehicles were built in that year then evenly distributed that's 1164 vehicles completed per day, split that between the three manufacturing plants (Halewood, Castle Bromwich and Lode Lane) and you're at 388 vehicles per plant per day. The true figures most be slightly higher on a per day output as the manufacturing plants have 5-6 weeks shutdown a year

I think its likely (though I have nothing besides supposition to base this on) that the majority of the vehicle aboard the ship were freelander or evoque, which are built at Halewood which runs 24 hours so probably has a higher than equal share of the 1164 vehicles/per day total.Even accounting for already busy order books I think its probable that JLR could replace those 1200 vehicles within 12 days

• Like 1

It's tantamount to train spotting but I just watch the AIS sites out of personal interest.

They were talking about refloating her today, last night, so I'm sure they knew the tide would be high enough for the job. I'd say the paper is just spinning the story. I seriously doubt it was a surprise for anyone.

If anyone's interested in having a look, go here, and zoom in on the Solent. You'll see the Hoegh Osaka represented as a dulled out green dot (dulled because her AIS is switched off, and a dot because she's stationary), and to the right of her you'll see the Svitzer salvage vessels and tugs represented by turquoise dots or arrows (dots again for stationary vessels and arrows for vessels under way)

Click on any vessel and you'll get vessel details, and photos.

By the by, check out flightradar24 for real time aircraft tracking. It'll freak you out.

I was at the Ford plant at Dagenham a good few years ago. Talking to some of the staff, they said if a car came off the production line with a fault it would be crushed straight away. They didn't even take off the new wheels and tyres or remove the stereo. The guys said it would be crushed even if it was a very minor fault, it was cheaper to build a new car than fault find...