A few cheap Land Rovers coming on the market soon perhaps? ......

CwazyWabbit

Flight radar has always freaked me out - surely we shouldn't have access to that much information?!

It was useful while working at Heathrow though; easier to check the app to see if you had time for a wee before a flight arrived on stand than to go through the control room. The world got clever without me noticing!

Yep, they spent the last two weeks or so repairing the crack, pumping out the water that she'd taken on, and arranging ballast to right her. Seemingly there was a film of oil on the water inside "from the hydraulics of the vehicles onboard" so at very least the plant machinery was probably submerged and is toast.

I was at the Ford plant at Dagenham a good few years ago. Talking to some of the staff, they said if a car came off the production line with a fault it would be crushed straight away. They didn't even take off the new wheels and tyres or remove the stereo. The guys said it would be crushed even if it was a very minor fault, it was cheaper to build a new car than fault find...

I read the other year that the average VW spends more time in the fix it line of production than it takes to build a Toyota!

But this means that they fix not scrap now?

Marc

In 1996 50+ Daihatsu Charades were sitting on a wharf in Japan ready to be loaded onto a car carrier for export to Australia, along came a typhoon and all but washed them into the briny, Daihatsu were going to load them and, when well out into international waters, deep six them due to their water damage.

Daihatsu Australia persuaded the factory to bring them to Australia and sell them off cheaply as one make a rally series promotion - The Daihatsu Rally Series - the cars were discounted by about 50% without any warranty. The sale price included a Terratrip, a small fire extinguisher and an alloy roll cage hoop, the bare essentials to register the car with the Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS) and enter it into a competition.

I purchased one and spent $15,000 just on a full chrome moly roll cage (the purchase price of the car was $10,000.00) added to that a sump guard, progressive coil springs, Bilstein dampers, carbon fibre internal floor skin to replace the "underfelt" (the carpet and headlining had to remain as they were Group "N" cars, ie Production) and eventually got a works backing, pity LR don't consider a similar offer to run an off road challenge with these vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...