Gon2far suspension setup

Jim-Bob

Hi all, I'm planning a series build eventually so this is all a vapour project at the moment, but I'm looking to retain series looks and originality as much as possible whilst making improvements to various parts/areas of the truck, one being flexiblility/articulation...I know fixed leaf springs aren't the best but it's the hand we've been dealt!

Now from what I've read from here and the rest of the interweb the Gon2far stuff seemed to cure alot of the inherent flexibility issues the series were produced with, but as I'm sure your aware they have unfortunately seized trading a while back.

So my question is does anyone make a similar kit or does anyone have any details on DIY self build kits or detailed plans that could be used for a DIY set-up?

The closest I've seen to a technical drawing is an exploded diagram showing how the parts of the spring mounts fit together?

Sorry for the essay! Thanks in advance :)

James

You could try contacting these guys : http://www.maxtraction.co.uk/

We have been looking very seriously into this when they were 1st shown by G2F and tried to get a kit into Holland. Eventually gave up. The "Revolver Shackle System" itself is still sold for the US market as they love leaving wheels & axles behind when they fly off...

Have a look : http://images.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAgQjRw4AWoVChMI5O6M5sPgxwIVw1caCh0qOwMb&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.difflock.com%2Fbuyersguide%2Fnewproducts%2Fgone2far%2Findex.shtml&psig=AFQjCNFM_u5S2icuyh40epggcADR5cPVsg&ust=1441564343428755

TBH, these days, without any back up from suppliers etc., I'd be very reluctant to fit it to any road going vehicle. A trailer to a site is different but we don't do that.. But I have some doubts calling the average insurer and telling them about this modification...

Eventually, we went for the original TIC 2 & 3 leaf set up with Koni's and are very happy with them.

Interesting read this !

Thanks Arjan.

I did see the revolver stuff, although it only seems to be made for jeep's now? Guess it could be shimmed to fit if they aren't a direct fit, but they do look like they are prone to breaking adding an extra pivot point that can twist too?!

Have TIC springs improved the articulation much, I've seen some parabolic's barely matching LR's original articulation! Are the shocks standard length or are they extended?

James - I have it fitted to my S1 86inch though did not use the revolver shackles in the end as the revised mounting and link points gave enough travel for me. Mine is road based so extreme articulation was not the priority though gives way more articulation than standard. The fronts have a locking system for on the road when you need to drive home that makes it way less "scary"

I can post some pics if you want to show how it goes together - or you can come and have look for yourself.

i have never found that flex is the downfall off road for my series (with various makes of parabolics over the years). In fact, its better than most defenders for that.

i have found that the only downfall in comparison to a coiler is the amount of under axle clearance when on shorter profile tyres. The spring plates can act as a plow sometimes. although its not very commonly an issue.

i am a little dubious as to how much benefit (considering the amount of work to fit them) there is.

i have never found that flex is the downfall off road for my series (with various makes of parabolics over the years). In fact, its better than most defenders for that.

i have found that the only downfall in comparison to a coiler is the amount of under axle clearance when on shorter profile tyres. The spring plates can act as a plow sometimes. although its not very commonly an issue.

i am a little dubious as to how much benefit (considering the amount of work to fit them) there is.

Cheers Mikey, so you'd recommend parabolic's, extended shocks? And some slighter larger tyres assuming you can go bigger on series rims or would they have to be swapped out for something defender?

James

Sorry guys - en route and didn't check to see if the links would work.

Right - apologies to the owners of the various pictures but below some pics of the G2F system

2015-09-06%20%20G2F%20Revolver%20Suspens

Awesome system !

Years ago, I made an X-Spring for Series - but there was no interest so it was abandoned! I'd hoped I would still have the prototype - but it seems it has gone to the great scrap-yard in the sky!

Imagine a single leaf bent into a horseshoe shape with a bracket bolted to each end to couple to the vehicle / main leaf. The leaf spring had a rate about 1/4 that of the main spring - so normally sat fully compressed with the two adaptor brackets touching one another through a rubber bump stop. As the wheel descends, the horseshoe opens up and because it's a single leaf, can twist as required.

It was trialed by a friend - and seemed to work well. He wasn't interested in it as he was in the midst of a concourse restoration. I decided not to pursue it as the likely market for them was too small.

Si

I believe fridge has gen - u -wine Gone 2 far.

I believe that is the case meccano, but I'm sure he'll confirm if he stumbles across this thread :)

Years ago, I made an X-Spring for Series - but there was no interest so it was abandoned! I'd hoped I would still have the prototype - but it seems it has gone to the great scrap-yard in the sky!

Imagine a single leaf bent into a horseshoe shape with a bracket bolted to each end to couple to the vehicle / main leaf. The leaf spring had a rate about 1/4 that of the main spring - so normally sat fully compressed with the two adaptor brackets touching one another through a rubber bump stop. As the wheel descends, the horseshoe opens up and because it's a single leaf, can twist as required.

It was trialed by a friend - and seemed to work well. He wasn't interested in it as he was in the midst of a concourse restoration. I decided not to pursue it as the likely market for them was too small.

Si

I like that idea Si, real shame it got abandoned and never made it to production! But I guess the series vehicles aren't the obvious/most suited choice for serious offroading hence the lack of interest? Was the prototype the only record of the design? Or have you still got the plans/drawings that would allow the project to be reborn if there was enough interest?

James

I have a (rough) Solidworks file for it - though I don't think the dimensions are correct.

post-74-0-04417400-1441696954_thumb.jpg

You get the general idea though. The original was made from a single leaf spring from a van I think, annealed, bent & re-tempered.

Si

I have a (rough) Solidworks file for it - though I don't think the dimensions are correct.

attachicon.gifSeries X-Spring.jpg

You get the general idea though. The original was made from a single leaf spring from a van I think, annealed, bent & re-tempered.

Si

That would add a lot of flex to the front springs, without chassis mods. Lovely!

The blue 109 shown straddling a berm is Koos' (forum member). If I'm not mistaken, he got that articulation by his own mods, using long front springs, not by the Gon2Far system.

I remember looking at the G2F and speaking to them about it. they said that on road handling was a little squirrely with revolver shackles on the front springs, hence the change to standard shackles and pivoting dumbirons replacing the original chassis dumbirons, locked with a bolt for road use. That is a lot more work to install than the revolvers, so was obviously done for good reason, suggesting the front revolvers must have made things fairly bad. I don't know if Si's sprung shackles would avoid those problems, but at least they'd still flex torsionally without extending in length and then binding like the revolvers (which get the torsion in the wrong axis once they open up).

Drew Wright (Wright Off Road) has a G2F system on his SII 88" trialler. It looks very good - I suspect it was the price and the welding that stopped it selling in big numbers.

attachicon.gifSeries X-Spring.jpg

Si

I was struggling to picture it, thanks go the image Si!

Were these intended to go on both ends of the front springs or just one end whilst the other end remains fixed?

Sure you can't be tempted into a small batch of 'prototypes' ;) seems theres a few people on here that might like to try some out for you :D

James

I've got the system on my S1 86, yes the welding is a bit of a faff and it is designed for S2&3 so further modifications were needed, but a brilliant system. The front dumb iron does lock for road use but I rarely lock it. It can be "interesting" in the wet and cornering at speed if not used to it. I didn't bother with the revolvers at the back as the revised mountings gave me more than enough articulation especially when coupled with 235/85 and an ARB in the rear.

Happy to take some pics if needed or if you want to come and have a look let me know.

Ed

I've got the system on my S1 86, yes the welding is a bit of a faff and it is designed for S2&3 so further modifications were needed, but a brilliant system. The front dumb iron does lock for road use but I rarely lock it. It can be "interesting" in the wet and cornering at speed if not used to it. I didn't bother with the revolvers at the back as the revised mountings gave me more than enough articulation especially when coupled with 235/85 and an ARB in the rear.

Happy to take some pics if needed or if you want to come and have a look let me know.

Ed

Thanks for the info Ed, bit far for me to travel for a look at the system, but I'm keen to read your Progress thread if there is one?

James, only needed on the shackle end as that's the end that can move. The opposite end is fairly fixed. That is unless it was intended to fit right over the axle?

I thought it looked like only one end of each spring Ross, should have studied the standard system more before asking! Much to learn I feel ;)

As Ross says, it fits to the rear eye of a spring in place of the shackle.

if you were to fit one to each end of the spring the axle would wibble and wobble all over the place, and your wheelbase would become "variable" :o:stretcher-smiley-emoticon:

I did think the same about handling Mikey as there would be a whole lot of twist going on! Thought I'd ask just for clarity though, and to show I'm a complete LR newbie :P

James