Trackers - current state?

=jon=

Hi All,

Been thinking about adding some form of tracker to my pride and joy - what's the current recommendations with regards to the cheapy systems you can get from ebay (now for about £15!), or doing the job 'properly' and getting a commercial tracker such as a skytag (which is about £125 assuming the offer is still valid on landywatch?)

Just after some thoughts before I splash out my hard earned... I'd rather have a decent solution and pay a little extra than something that will fail at the most vital point!

Cheers

Jon

I've had SkyTag for a few years now - and it still works fine! If I had a complaint it would be that my Insurers (NFU) show it as "Unknown Tracker" and don't give any discount for it. Still, I guess I get the discount long term if it gets nicked.

Si

I have fitted 3 cheapy trackers now, my only complaint is not the trackers ut mobile service providers who are greedy and deactivate sim cards after 6 monthswithout topping them up, regardless of how much money is on them! Had this happen twice now, now the tracker sends a message twice a week to tell me it's alive so the credit goes down and then just top up on time, I am now waiting for Vodafones sim only unlimited text contract offer for 4.99/month then its an affordable fit and forget system, text it for it's location.

interestingly enough, mine give longs an lats to type into a mapping programme, very handy when in the middle of the woods, text it and it tells you where you're lost lol.

Skytag gets top vote though!

I've had SkyTag for a few years now - and it still works fine! ..... Still, I guess I get the discount long term if it gets nicked.

Si

Do you (Is it acceptable to) transfer the SkyTag between vehicles, depending which one you consider most at risk (or would have the biggest financial or emotional impact if it disappeared)?

I do understand that some vehicles are stolen while 'in storage' etc, but in my circumstances it's the one that is out and about that I would consider most at risk.

Thanks.

We have a few Skytag units fitted across various vehicles and am more than happy with them. Each of them was purchased from FCX via the D2 forum offer which is £120 including delivery and 3 months free monitoring. After the 3 months it reverts to 6.99 a month for the monitoring.

It would be nice to be able to log in and see the vehicle on a map at anytime but I think you have to pay more for that and geo-fencing options.

I'm insured with Adrian Flux and didn't receive any discount for having the system fitted, they also class it as an 'unknown tracker'.

It seems everyone rates the skytag units...

For the cheapy ebay systems, are there any UK PAYG deals that either don't expire, or can be kept alive for a reasonable amount of time if it's communicating with you via text every now and then?

Do you (Is it acceptable to) transfer the SkyTag between vehicles

I don't - but I don't see why you couldn't!

I had two cheap Chinese trackers before the SkyTag - but neither lasted more than a few months before they stopped working. In practice the monthly charge for SkyTag was so similar to the cheapest mobile contract - it was a no brainer!

Si

We have a few Skytag units fitted across various vehicles and am more than happy with them. Each of them was purchased from FCX via the D2 forum offer which is £120 including delivery and 3 months free monitoring. After the 3 months it reverts to 6.99 a month for the monitoring.

It would be nice to be able to log in and see the vehicle on a map at anytime but I think you have to pay more for that and geo-fencing options.

i also got mine from FCX but from defender2 forum. happy with mine. live watch option is usless as they turn it off when its reported stolen. but i do have nightzone option for mine. £11 a month. very helpful on the phone.

heritage insurace give them away for free if you take out a policy with them. :)

It seems everyone rates the skytag units...

For the cheapy ebay systems, are there any UK PAYG deals that either don't expire, or can be kept alive for a reasonable amount of time if it's communicating with you via text every now and then?

I've been using GiffGaff for over 3 years and have only ever put £15 on it, it still has a balance of £10. That seems to work for me, occasionally have to text it to keep it alive but they send a warning email to you when it's getting close.

I have fitted 3 cheapy trackers now, my only complaint is not the trackers ut mobile service providers who are greedy and deactivate sim cards after 6 monthswithout topping them up, regardless of how much money is on them! Had this happen twice now, now the tracker sends a message twice a week to tell me it's alive so the credit goes down and then just top up on time, I am now waiting for Vodafones sim only unlimited text contract offer for 4.99/month then its an affordable fit and forget system, text it for it's location.

interestingly enough, mine give longs an lats to type into a mapping programme, very handy when in the middle of the woods, text it and it tells you where you're lost lol.

Skytag gets top vote though!

This is £5 a month and gives you texts and data included:

https://www.giffgaff.com/orders/cheap-sim-only?ggCampaign=ps-G_Generic_Sitelink&KWID=43700003889360457&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtri0BRDLoaCF95e7o_sBEiQA_pgRQwP7OsSasDOC66kjlBwI-EoM8WSvomGimw4Mk-SIepMaAndW8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIvN1bWWmMoCFYobFgodnAMFZQ

I've been using GiffGaff for over 3 years and have only ever put £15 on it, it still has a balance of £10. That seems to work for me, occasionally have to text it to keep it alive but they send a warning email to you when it's getting close.

Thats even better. A warning is all thats needed, wouldnt mind topping up a fiver every 6 months to keep it alive, but without a warning invariably i'd forget and it'd expire.

• 3 years later...
On 1/7/2016 at 5:01 PM, Aragorn said:

Yes, but it's all about what happens if you get an alert at 3 am on a dark winter nights. With SkyTag you just confirm you're not with the vehicle -- no venturing outside to be, potentially, beaten up by the gang of thieves. They, and the police, then have live tracking of where your vehicle is. That's why the police like SkyTag, because they have all of the "live" information and they're in control.

You get what you pay for, and if you're treasured Landy is stolen, only the best will do.