TDI radiator

Daan

I meant more the type and price point rather than the supplier, that said your points are noted all the same.

While I am sure decent branded plastic/aluminium rads are of sufficient quality I prefer the welded copper/brass construction on a rattly old Land Rover that spends a lot of time on rough roads.

Did LR themselves use the modern type on Td5 and later? If so then I guess my theory is nonsense, however Tdi vehicles came with the older type so I could at least play the originality card of sorts :)

When I was last looking, Island were the only place that appeared to stock them out of all of the online distributors I searched. Alas, they didn't really stock them at all!

My current one is copper, from Bearmach, and is still very good, 5 years on. The only problem with it is that the top copper plug is seized solid, was from new, no way it will ever come out without damaging it. I order everything either direct from the Bearmach shop or from the dealer these days, because they have stock. If I wanted another copper radiator, that is what I recommend. the TDCI radiator and intercooler is with plastic endcaps. The early ones did occasionally split, later ones are ok. I am now tempted to try a cheap aluminium welded rad, and take the copper one as spare. I am a bit surprised no one on here has one, as they seem to sell a lot of them, and many different brands.

Daan

Bit OT & just on the Island 4x4 thing, like most of the other well known suppliers, they have thier core supplier (mostly Britpart for Island 4x4), and these bits are drop shipped from the warehouse almost immediately ( I don't think they hold any actual stock themselves?)

They are also supplying some parts from a 3rd party general motor factor (eurospares or something?)- these don't come direct either from Island 4x4 or the Britpart/Bearmach/allmakes warehouses and seem outside thier control but sometimes fill a gap if the product is not supplied by the main names.

I always avoid selecting these parts unless it's really cheap and I can afford to wait, which isn't often, it's a bit quicker to use somewhere like Eurocarparts.

Dunno, I took the advice of the Heat transfer engineer at the industrial cooling firm I went to, he's a forum member too.

There are fins, they're just not easily visible on a low resolution iPhone picture :)

The rad core is the lower one in the below image

7D6AA7B2-6C42-4678-8351-F552D1936215_zps

• 3 months later...

I bought a Champion radiator off ebay. This is the plastic core radiator. I has been brilliant, I have protected it with a punched stainless sheet sandwiched between the grille and the front panel. I was worried about reduced cooling, but with this rad, cooling was never a problem, even when half full of mud. Much recommended. they are 5 kg lighter than a copper rad.

I choose the champion one from the ebay feedback and feedback on landy forums; I couldn't find a bad word about it. The cheap Chinese ally rads do have a lot of bad feedback; late delivery, doesn't fit and leaks were their problems.

Daan

I got a new all-metal one for my 200tdi from my local engineering shop who deal with what they describe as " an old-school radiator maker" and it was about £250 - lovely piece of work too. I read all the plastic V metal comments on various threads and decided on metal for a few reasons main one being it can be soldered or welded as I've had to have done before, and is a lot easier to do on metal than on plastic if it leaks. They made it even thicker cored for me too to make more efficient. I have no connection to Precision other than a happy customer - give a call for a quote ask for John (Or Andrew) they're the brothers who own and run the company (for decades).

Precision Engineering

Address: 48 Seafield Rd, Inverness IV1 1SG
Phone: 01463 235537

NO. I cannot paste from my work computer (no chrome I believe is the reason). Maybe someone else can. If you type in 300 tdi radiator on ebay, one advert appears of a radiator with a blue sign that says champion car radiators.

£78.59 with free delivery and brass plugs, its a winner I reckon.

Daan