Recon Power Steering boxes

ejparrott

Who's best recommended for a recon 4-bolt PAS box at the moment? I know Adwest were but apparently they are no longer supplying to the public. Paddocks stock them with and without the drop arm at over £200+VAT, exchange, but then I found a company in Chester via eBay doing them for £150, exchange, and I'm a bit dubious about that tbh. Looked at Craddocks and as usual made no sense of their website, and I'm loathe to use them anyway.

The box on The 109 has been an advisory last 2 MoT's now, but it's been quietly weeping away and I've not worried about it too much.... Then last week it plopped it's pants....big style! Think it's over due for doing now!

Having taken apart a few steering boxes I can appreciate how the innards can't really be reconditioned without extensive cost, so a cheap recon for me is a no-no.

Generally it's the leak from the drop arm that makes folk replace the boxes, and that is one area where new seals with not live for long.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=84439

If you can stretch to an outright purchase of a NEW box I would advise that option. That said, I have been lucky with 2nd hand boxes off breaker trucks. Of course they may have had a re-con box in them, but it's a risk I'm happy to take for £50 or so.

Last I heard though Adwest were not selling to the public?

This rumour seems to keep going round, but i think they still are (its Magal Engineering now - Megan dealt with my purchase - that was four years or so ago for me though - i'm sure i've heard of people buying them since then though). I believe Paddocks sell new Adwest ones as well if you cant buy direct?

I might try and ring Adwest's new owners in the morning and see what they say. Otherwise I'll check with FamousFour and Paddocks....Paddocks is tempting as they do offer one with drop arm on, having said which, there's so much ATF dribled over mine over the last few years, it'll probably fall off if I sneeze.....

When I bought my box at the end of the summer last year, Adwest were unable to supply one to me due to pressures of production.

The young lady did tell me, however, that if I bought a a Britpart one it would be a genuine Adwest box.

I ordered one from Paddocks and lo, it was so, complete with a little Adwest seriel number plaque riveted to it.

Mo

Nige its leaking from all over! Bottom seal has gone, but so has the input, I think that's the one that shat it's pants last week. TBH the whole box is grotty, so a nicely rebuilt unit would be the better choice at this time, especially as I've so much to do and so little free time at the moment.

Nige its leaking from all over! Bottom seal has gone, but so has the input, I think that's the one that shat it's pants last week. TBH the whole box is grotty, so a nicely rebuilt unit would be the better choice at this time, especially as I've so much to do and so little free time at the moment.

New one then almost definitely, so many reconditioned boxes are little more than a £6.95 seal kit, to actually do them properly would cost the same as a new one!!!

I sort of wished Adwest did remanufactured exchange, then for sure, latest seals, new components where needed and all new bearings.

I sort of wished Adwest did remanufactured exchange, then for sure, latest seals, new components where needed and all new bearings.

I have a feeling they used to, but stopped some years ago. I would think that the casings are generally good to re-use, so a shame there isnt a little recycling there.

The problem I have with things sold as 'recon with a 30 day warranty' is that some people consider a coat of paint a recon and if the warranty is 30 days they're aiming for it to last 31 so if it's a car I rely on I only fit new.

I reconditioned one myself just to have a go as I'd gone through a few £20 second hand ones, the box dropped oil as fast as you poured it in so I figured I had nothing to lose. I had a cracking manual that gave all the tolerances to measure etc. I had to make a couple of tools and I replaced every seal and bush I could whilst I was in there. Cost me £20, took hours and was a real ball ache but it lasted all the time I had the car despite big tires.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few day's laid up I've ordered a recon box from Paddocks. They've emailed to say the box will be coming direct from their supplier, so we'll see what we get when it arrives.

I opted to have one sent with the drop arm included in the end, there wasn't much by way of extra cost, less than me having to buy a puller if it refused to come off, as I've also only got a small window to send the old box back to get the surcharge back.