Capstan winch scratch build - CAD, 3D print and cast.

lo-fi

I do love the Welsh railways, though Talyllyn is one I've not been to yet. Do you volunteer in the workshops? Funny how Land Rovers and steam railways seem to go hand in hand! There used to be an 88 often parked up at the SDR that had been painted up in "blood and custard" livery, it looked absolutely gorgeous. 

The Tirfor was the other option... Trust me not to take the easy route! Not sure I've ever seen a capstan on an 80; would look lovely. Shame it wouldn't fit yours. 

Anyway, back to the updates! 

I had a bit of re-working to do on the support bush. Couldn't get the key through with it all assembled! Was bound to mess something up. Larger bush ordered and supports machined to take. Luckily I'd not got all gung-ho and welded it all together! 

jA7j68yl.jpg

iWEKA91l.jpg

The support is it two parts so when I weld the outer to the plate, the inner holding the bush won't be affected by heat distortion.

I decided I need a ring on the top of the plate to stop water running under the bollard and pooling in the dip. It'll add extra strength too, and fits nicely under the hollow in the bollard. So I rolled one up, making it the perfect diameter to do this with a piece of round scrap from the 12hp hoover project:

omYcEcvl.jpg

l4VcaiUl.jpg

yxw2xJ0l.jpg

Makes a nice little cap for the bollard, also to stop water pooling. I'll maybe fettle the top down a bit with a sand bag, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Letters may have to be 3D printed, casts made and popped on the top to complete the look.... Should confuse a few rivet counters!

Edited by lo-fi
Forgot pics

I love threads like this and seeing how people go about putting stuff together!

If you enjoy your steam and your near enough it's the steam weekend at Beamish this weekend I believe. I went last year and was very impressed with the amount of stuff just trundling past. There's a steep hill upto the entrance and they really have to work them to get up. A friend is crew on a steam lorry so I might go and see if I can blag a cheeky ride. 

• Like 1

Beamish is a little far, sadly, but I'd like to plan a trip one year. 

Got a few bits done yesterday.

cleaned and painted the motor:

xLQXPGbm.jpg E9QT2Qlm.jpg

Started welding the motor mount tube:

C06LPznl.jpg

Check clearance with Plasticine. I'll machine a shim to suit, leaving 10 thou:

nFkr00ql.jpg

Popped some Rivnuts in the plate. I really need an air driven tool:

z64nEhKm.jpg

First view of it coming together:

v7bUZsPm.jpg

xULCTAEm.jpg

6FfUMWdm.jpg

Weighs in at ~50KG with plate, bollard, motor, gearbox and plate.

A little preview of early testing:

• Like 1

Got a few bits done over the past couple of days, just getting the support bush and fairlead sorted.

I love machining Meehanite (cast iron bar with no hard spots or defects):

ZelzDSgl.jpg

There's also something immensely satisfying making a massive pile of lovely uniform chips.

A lovely fit on the new bush. My phone died and I didn't take nearly enough pics:

luz5fg5l.jpg

47brrzFl.jpg

The carrier for that bush may look thin, but it's some kind of uber-tough 4140 or something. It gets supported by a rolled ring that will be welded itself. I didn't want the potential distortion in the actual bush carrier, so we'll see how it goes, I'm happy with it. Here it is on the lathe getting tacked nice and square:

YX9mAfYl.jpg

I don't like welding on the lathe, but sometimes it's the only way. Covering everything in WD40 and the bed with a piece of sheet steel seems to protect things nicely.

Anyway, I had to stop to do the fairlead supports. If I weld all the gubbins in the middle I won't have a flat top I can clamp down to the bench while welderising various bits in. If it's not clamped down firmly, it'll distort, and having got this far and kept it flat, I really didn't want that. 

Plasma cutting going well with a new skookum earth lead. This is right on the limit of my machine:

27iXc6Jl.jpg

Finishing with the grinder:

ffLCOj1l.jpg

aGpU6rdl.jpg

I kind of want a cast look, so not looking for perfection. Setting up to drill the locating holes:

KhSHM3tl.jpg

I hate drilling rectangular holes... Used the angle as a guide, which worked well:

IIlOCAsl.jpg

Setting up with locating dowels making sure it's all square:

WBcZtbXl.jpg

Captive nuts:

Z2xqUrYl.jpg

In they go:

9FtFJEhl.jpg MPI86UYl.jpg

RWzANtrl.jpg lDE6cEJl.jpg

3WcdU37l.jpg

A a bit of finishing to do, plus I need to machine up some ends for the roller, but I'm quite happy with that. Now I can complete the centre (and motor) support stuff, finish welding it, paint it and get it on the vehicle.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bit overdue for an update...

I decided that the only way forward to keep the lot together it to thread the ends of the shaft and make some nuts. I've never actually done any thread cutting in the lathe, so no time like the present! The bar, in all honesty, is a little big for my little ML10 lathe, but you gotta pee with the pecker you got:

OZbDOVAl.jpg

ipOZiq5l.jpg

I also didn't have the correct change gears to be able to cut a metric thread (my lathe has an imperial leadscrew), so it's a person I'm not that keen on thread of 35mm x 16tpi :D Luckily 35mm is a nats nadger from 1"3/8, so let's call it that... I'm afraid I was concentrating on not stuffing it all up and not taking photos, so there aren't many. The results aren't half bad if I do say so myself:

ujf1bOTl.jpg

There's a big nut on top of the bollard and a slimmer nut under the gearbox. The large nut at the top takes a little ali extension to retain the top cap. It's sat proud on a spacer ring so it's accessible with a spanner, rather than being sunken and needing a huge socket:

KxsqM2nl.jpg

tqYq7xsl.jpg

CQyj9kKl.jpg

I machined up a nice little bolt to finish the capping off:

Ng2eqjol.jpg

I finally got the fairlead finished too. This took some head scratching to design something that would support the sides whilst allowing the roller to turn. I opted for a piece of pipe with machined cast iron caps which gets tensioned by a piece of M12 threaded rod running through the whole assembly. Phosphor bronze bushes are a press fit into the CDS pipe the roller is made of. I like simple and rugged, and PB on cast is hard to beat:

t04DSD6l.jpg

zN9arjbl.jpg

Again, I was concentrating on the job, not taking photos. Sorry.

The protector ring which sits under the bollard was too tall. My ghetto solution. Ahem:

bskIKHol.jpg

xEvHyMxl.jpg

And applied paint liberally:

coUXjqLl.jpg

VKSLPI4l.jpg

Fitted up:

9aXqJgul.jpg

And that's the point I realised I forgot the add the motor to gearbox adaptor supports. Ho hum. That's where we're at; seems like the never ending project!

TTFN

PS: sexy capstan rope arrived while I was on my travels in France:

Xnaojypl.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Lol, I'd love to make one for the S1, but I doubt you'd like the price :ph34r:

😊 At the moment that’s true - at least until I’ve recovered financially from the 80” I’m probably more in the realm of a 3.5t ratchet strap ...

You’ve built a beautiful winch 😍

I would like a period looking winch for the 80 - the issue is that the crank pulley on the 200 isn’t centred on the crossmember hole.

So something like yours would work well - or I try and find a period looking drum winch.

I haven’t planned to go to the Leafers.... I’ll look at it though 😊

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Looks great, you just need to bring it to seven sisters to try it out :ph34r:.

If you're doing another local(ish) one like Bunny Lane, I'll definitely be there! Had a blast last time. 

Oh man...... If only I had 1/4 of those fabrication skills shown here.....

Please, please keep them coming to show mere mortals like me how it's done.

and eh...

".. and steam engines getting in the way..."

Love that sentence...😁

39 minutes ago, Arjan said:

.. and steam engines getting in the way...

Cheers fella :)YouTube channel of the steam loco project on its way - I'll send you a link. On a bit of a learning curve directing, shooting, presenting and editing, but I'll get there soon enough.