Newest image of the next Defender ??

tuko

I think jlr have diluted their market quite a bit recently, I mean what is the difference between a discovery sport evoque rr sport and jag 4x4 thing really? The defender freelander discovery and range rover used to be strong and individual brands but now they're all sort of wishy washy.

I think jlr have diluted their market quite a bit recently, I mean what is the difference between a discovery sport evoque rr sport and jag 4x4 thing really? The defender freelander discovery and range rover used to be strong and individual brands but now they're all sort of wishy washy.

http://www.worldwidesalonmarketing.com/how-to-turn-disaster-into-triumph-a-lesson-in-customer-relations

http://gibbadventure.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/a-range-rover-in-kimberley.html

This story above, (same story, different versions), sums up what has always bothered me about the company's emphasis on the champagne crowd. They're making money, so great, but not with proper 4WDs any more. I don't think I've ever seen a new Disco up here that wasn't towing a caravan.

Round my way Ridgeway Land Rover and Ridgeway Jaguar are moving the two dealerships into one HUGE new one at Milton Park, near Didcot on the A34. They can't be doing badly to be investing that much!

The same thing is in progress at Harwoods in Crawley.

What they're building looks huge and has greatly improved visibility being on a traffic lighted corner of a major road.

The manufacturer's often tell the dealers if they don't provide top notch showrooms they will lose the franchise. That's why they've all gone to these useless big chains rather than the old family run garages. You know, the ones that gave great service, knew every little fault and trick and generally lived and breathed the cars they sold. Now we have posh showrooms full of 'the computer says' technicians and sales people who when asked a question stare at a brochure like someone who doesn't know how to read.

Still you can watch homes under the hammer in HD and drink a mokka chokka whilst you wait the 6 hours for a laptop to service your car and an oik to measure your tyre tread so I guess it's not all bad.

• Like 1

imho the perfect defender replacement would be based on the disco 4 platform, nice and roomy, good offroad and wouldnt be too hard to make a pickup version. ok so it wouldnt be modifiable in the same way as the old defender but it would work, be stylish and if they did a row version with all the toys taken off itd be affordable too.

Do they want a real commercial style defender , fleet buyers , dont want to pay top dollar, same as military , so profit margin is slashed

plus they dont buy over priced add ons , unlike the public . The old defender/ series needed all those type customers to try and give it economy of scale , it needed run out to try and get some life into the market . The new one needs to be built as a commercial not a

compromise , to be a true defender replacement ,as Davo says a 2litre with a car style gearbox aint gonna crack it . JMHO

It will definately not be modular. Thats the very reason i wont be buying one no matter what it looks like. Start twatting it off trees while green laning and it will be £eeeek to repair. It wont be a case of simply unbolting a wing panel or a roof panel and replacing...

And with that being the case whats the difference to buying latest discovery......

I thought the old design wasn't, er, "good enough", to hit pedestrians with, so I suppose this will have some sort of a crumple zone? It still needs to be a ute, trayback, single or double cab, etc., etc. I usually see about three new Defenders a year, so it'll be sort of a relief if they ever get this thing finished.

It will definately not be modular. Thats the very reason i wont be buying one no matter what it looks like. Start twatting it off trees while green laning and it will be £eeeek to repair. It wont be a case of simply unbolting a wing panel or a roof panel and replacing...

And with that being the case whats the difference to buying latest discovery......

There's no reason it couldn't have unboltable wings over the unibody structure. The RRC did that just fine (not quite unibody, but the body construction was similar).

I suspect the modularity will be all in the factory, different bits being welded in based on what was ordered. I don't see it being likely that you will be able to make a pick-up into a hard-top.

I agree totally, theres no reason it COULDNT be modular - i just seriously doubt it will be unfortunately.

Mainly due to manufacturing costs. The more bolts/fixings you have, the more man hours it takes to assemble.

Also if only the outer front wings are modular why bother? Sods law dictates that if you can easily unbolt/replace the wings you can guarantee they will be the only bits to escape damage lol

Another option to the utility route is that they go the G-Wagen way.

They have positioned themselves as a luxury brand, dropping the freelander and so on - so similarly positioned in the market to Mercedes perhaps.

At the end of the Defenders life they were at least partially positioning it as the niche 'real / rugged / leather seated 4x4'. They won't be ignorant of the Khan, Urban Truck, Bowler type mods going on at huge prices. So also not unlike the G-Wagen's market position.

They seem to be happy to do to low volume hi profit models - the series 1 restorations, the aluminium e-types, the re-invented special vehicles ....

So maybe we'll see a mega defender, with top spec powerful engine, clever electronics, on a strong beam axled chassis, with a luxurious interior, limited numbers, waiting lists, and huge prices ?

Sold as 'the icon' and priced accordingly?

With modern methods of fastening, I bet you can make it so that one bolt holds an entire wing in place -front OR rear.

I know it is a bolt and not a weld, but funnily enough, robots will do bolts up nowadays too :)

I guess it will only be modular if they think they can do it -LR have been innovative in the past, let's hope they have managed it this time.... With modern materials such as carbon fibre and aluminium tubs, making something that equates to a rigid 'chassis', although not in ladder form is quite easy and lightweight, then you hang all the relevant parts off it.

Just look at any of the latest raft of supercars, carbon fibre 'tubs' which is literally the passenger compartment, then bolt everything else to it to make it move, stop and steer. No reason why this *method* couldn't be used for more mainstream vehicles.

With modern methods of fastening, I bet you can make it so that one bolt holds an entire wing in place -front OR rear.

I know it is a bolt and not a weld, but funnily enough, robots will do bolts up nowadays too :)

I guess it will only be modular if they think they can do it -LR have been innovative in the past, let's hope they have managed it this time.... With modern materials such as carbon fibre and aluminium tubs, making something that equates to a rigid 'chassis', although not in ladder form is quite easy and lightweight, then you hang all the relevant parts off it.

Just look at any of the latest raft of supercars, carbon fibre 'tubs' which is literally the passenger compartment, then bolt everything else to it to make it move, stop and steer. No reason why this *method* couldn't be used for more mainstream vehicles.

I hope your right Bowie, i really do. Time will tell i guess..