That dam Towing restriction again this sound right ?

Very subtle, but no, sorry :)

He can tow a heavier trailer with a lighter car, which in combination is not over 3500Kg MAM. MAM is not weight, but maximum authorised mass....

I guess they realised no-one had a weighbridge at home, and actually asking people to estimate the weight of their truck was never going to be right.

He can also tow up to a 750KG MAM trailer (90% of these will be unbraked as not required) with any vehicle as long as it is 3500Kg MAM or less.

confused? You should be ;)

Haven't looked again for it.... But the wording certainly used to have something about the MAM of the trailer being less than the unladen weight of the car too.

Indeed, as far as towing weights for vehicles, that is in the manufacturer's handbook.

Some hybrid SUVs, for example, can only tow 500Kg :unsure:

There was the recommendation that you should not two more than 85% of your vehicle weight, but I think that was some spurious nonsense spouted by the caravan club, and has been enshrined in urban legend since.

nice to know I am good upto 8 1/4 tons thats way more than a disco one towing another disco even on a trailer. but definitely means i can recover my own vehicles with an A frame as long as they're road legal

HHHmmm. Based on Tal's post. i assume towing another car for recovery purpose could also be problematic for those with newer licences.

no, recovering a car on a bar or rope is an exception. anyone can do that.

fun thins licenceing thing isnt it.

• Like 1

Indeed, as far as towing weights for vehicles, that is in the manufacturer's handbook.

Some hybrid SUVs, for example, can only tow 500Kg :unsure:

There was the recommendation that you should not two more than 85% of your vehicle weight, but I think that was some spurious nonsense spouted by the caravan club, and has been enshrined in urban legend since.

So you have to:-

1) Drive a combination within you Driving License Limits

2) Drive a combination within what the Manufacturers say it is capable of (include nose weight on tow ball)

3) Not Drive dangerously or without due care and attention

4) Drive a vehicle that is safe and road worthy

So that 85% rule goes with item 3/4 on the list, it is bit of a grey area as What is driving dangerously?. I think it has been argued that a professional body in the related area (The caravan club) has stated that it can be dangerous to drive with a trailer/caravan that is over 85% the weight of the vehicle.

How that holds up in court I don't know.

I think the 85% rule was decided upon to give you some leeway from the towed vehicle being over 100% without actually having to weigh everything.

I would think that towing a vehicle that is over 100% of the vehicle doing the towing is more likely to be a problem if stopped.

You could then argue what about articulated lorries, what they are towing is over 100% of the vehicle towing it, but I guess they would argue that they have an active braking system making it less dangerous.

So to sum up a trailer over 85% the weight of the vehicle could be a grey area with the police and probably your insurers as well and if over 100% it would be even harder to argue that it is OK.

there is no grey area. it is safe and legal to tow 3.5 ton behind a discovery. that is what the law says and that is what matters. the caravan club 85% garbage came from a article published years ago and was simply there to guide people on what car to buy for their caravan so that the car had a easier time and a badly loaded trailer (like 50% of all caravans on the road because a lot of caravanners have no idea on how to load a trailer) has less effect on the car.

rant over. sorry.

Just a note on the BE

Category B+E

You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on when you passed your test. If you passed your test:

before 19 January 2013 you can tow any size trailer

on or after 19 January 2013 you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

Something that nearly scuppered me.

Does anyone have any information on towing a trailer with a MAM over the vehicles towing limit? Is it still weight on the day or is nearly every jap pickup towing illegally?

Another good one I heard was no trailer license required if your towing with a NATO hook!

Will.

With regards to my post if you want to tow a vehicle, it has to be taxed and insured to be legal with any of its wheels on the road. If its an offroader, out of tax, or un-insured it has to be all four wheels on a trailer.

And if you want to tow on an A frame the frame strength must exceed the weight of the vehicle and you can't go over 25mph.

Having done 30ish round a corner off road (with a peugeot estate on the frame) and felt the consequences I can highly reccomend sticking to that speed limit too.

As i understood it I can tow something over the towing vehicles actual weight as long as the trailer is properly braked....(I think, so please dont quote me to a policeman though)

And if you want to tow on an A frame the frame strength must exceed the weight of the vehicle and you can't go over 25mph.

Bit of confusion here, an A - frame has no such restriction on speed although lots of other regulations apply.

I think you may be confusing an A-frame with a dolly? in which case two limits apply, 20MPH on normal roads and 40MPH on the motorway

But they are a b***** nightmare and your right.. the speed limits are worth observing :-)