That dam Towing restriction again this sound right ?

there is no grey area. it is safe and legal to tow 3.5 ton behind a discovery. that is what the law says and that is what matters. the caravan club 85% garbage came from a article published years ago and was simply there to guide people on what car to buy for their caravan so that the car had a easier time and a badly loaded trailer (like 50% of all caravans on the road because a lot of caravanners have no idea on how to load a trailer) has less effect on the car.

rant over. sorry.

The policeman or court might have a different opinion on whether is was safe, just because you saying it is safe does not hold much weight against industry recommendations (unless you are qualified expert in this area).

The law says (as I listed) some things that are open to interpretation, it is not written in to law that it is safe to tow 3.5 ton behind a discovery (it is within one on the numerous rules that apply)

I'm not saying it is against the law either, just one of the many things to consider.

I must admit that it would be a very very slow day for a policemen to stop you for this, it is more likely to be used as a get out clause by insurers or used as additional arguments if you have done something else wrong (like caused an accident) or got the wobble on (which is more likely as the weight of the trailer approaches the tow vehicle)

Bit of confusion here, an A - frame has no such restriction on speed although lots of other regulations apply.

I think you may be confusing an A-frame with a dolly? in which case two limits apply, 20MPH on normal roads and 40MPH on the motorway

But they are a b***** nightmare and your right.. the speed limits are worth observing :-)

Towing using a 'A' frame or towing dolly [where part of the casulty vehicle is lifted from the road]

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408927/a-frames-and-dollies.pdf

A frames that are able to operate the towed vehicles brakes are OK, as the towed vehicle is then a braked trailer

Re A frames, I don't have a towing dolly.... Does Anyone know how to remote brake a Landrover?

In that case the speed restrictions mentioned above dont apply other than treating it as a trailer. Its not too hard to make the brakes work using an overun device, I've seen them using a cable operating the service brake with a clevis pin and loop welded to the pedal. But that was many years ago.

its much more complex today as you need to be able to do auto reverse and keep the servo working .. and there is the thorny issue of trailer approval.

Its not impossible but for a LR I'd buy a trailer rather than risk bodging a system to use a frame today.

Always happy to read just how confusing it all can be...

So.... listening to you guys, this is legal ?

2016-07-31%20%20One%20Ten%20CSW%20met%20

And this is also legal ?

2016-07-31%20%20RRC%20met%20109%20CP%20o

What about this then ?

2016-07-31%20%20Ninety%20met%20One%20Ten

looks good to me, and if the trailer is braked for the last one it should be...

I said it is first but changed my mind and edited t say should be, since it depends on vehicle and trailer weight combined and I dont know the trailer weight

Till you hit 70 when there are some additional hoops to jump to retain what you have had for years.

I might be blind ! LOL but the only thing I've noticed on my over 70 liscence is I can no longer drive a single vehicle that's over 3.5 tonne, or have I missed something ?

The caravan club is not an authority, they may suggest the 85% rule for caravans but if Land Rover say the vehicle is designed to tow 3,500kg then, license issues aside, you can tow 3,500kg all day long!

If there was any chance that towing a trailer that weighs more than the tow vehicle was in any way dubious or unsafe, or likely to have the driver prosecuted for an unsafe outfit purely because of that factor, you can be damn sure that vehicle manufacturers would not open themselves to the risk by saying the vehicles were capable of it. In recent months many of the Jap pickups have been rated to tow 3.5T - so clearly it is not seen as an issue for motor manufacturers.

If you want to take a 90 weighing 1,750kg and hang a trailer weighing 3,500kg off the back then so long as you are properly licensed, obeying the rules of the road, loaded up correctly, and the vehicle/trailer are in good condition, you are doing nothing wrong. And the vehicle will handle it fine - though you might be a bit slow up some of the hills!

• Like 1

In that case the speed restrictions mentioned above dont apply other than treating it as a trailer. Its not too hard to make the brakes work using an overun device, I've seen them using a cable operating the service brake with a clevis pin and loop welded to the pedal. But that was many years ago.

its much more complex today as you need to be able to do auto reverse and keep the servo working .. and there is the thorny issue of trailer approval.

Its not impossible but for a LR I'd buy a trailer rather than risk bodging a system to use a frame today.

thanks for that, I think I will keep the a frame just for recovery purposes and see if I can get a heavy trailer for more general use...seems to be the safer option.

I might be blind ! LOL but the only thing I've noticed on my over 70 liscence is I can no longer drive a single vehicle that's over 3.5 tonne, or have I missed something ?

I understand that some of the automatic grandfather rights that we (rightly) have due to when we passed our tests disappear as your licence renews at 70, this means there are some additional medical requirements imposed on us. Last time I looked I decided not to worry about it as the change is a good few years away for me and it can all have changed by then anyway.

Its all on line and a google will find the answers ... today :-)

thanks for that, I think I will keep the a frame just for recovery purposes and see if I can get a heavy trailer for more general use...seems to be the safer option.

Its all about how much chance there is of it all going badly wrong, mechanically legally and morally, I live in a rural area and its amazing to see what people get away with and tow with impunity .. but every so often they have a purge at the local market and lots of people have troubles. If your going to tow on busy main roads the risk of all the above things is far greater. If you have room for a trailer and its not likely to get nicked its a good thing to have. If you only need it every so often a hire is a good idea.. horses for courses.

Interesting! I thought all coilers were 3500kg? It's the same running gear as a disco which does that much?

I asked about this many years ago at SVO when I was doing a job there and whilst the 'coffee chat' consensus was that of course the RRC was strong enough to tow whatever you hung on it, initially a precautionary approach had been taken due to the comparatively shallow chassis rails compared to other LR product.

Marketing being what it is and with the benefit of service experience I guess the figure was amended in the production and of course before the first Discovery production.

I had a similar discussion with Toyota about our Hilux fleet asking them how they had significantly increased the towing capacity in (about) 2012 - of course they never actually wrote anything down but intimated that it was always about legislation and marketing and never about actual engineering limits. I can certainly believe that most of the vehicles we are talking about could safely tow far in excess of the plated weight.... but not legally in this country.

Lets face it, they arent designed to work at 3500Kg and be dangerous at 3501Kg

Just as a remark as you guys are talking UK and we have the lot on French plates, they were all 3 legal.

Unlike most people, we put the lot on a local weighbridge and make pictures so en route we can show what we know we are doing and have the Gendarmerie / Police Municipal / etc. ask themselves if they really want to look ....

The RRC could tow 3.5 tonnes, as could the others, and be within the "Max Train Weight" (total weight car & trailer).

The Series can tow 3.5 tonnes, too, here but I'd rather not... :unsure:

The RRC could tow 3.5 tonnes, as could the others, and be within the "Max Train Weight" (total weight car & trailer).

The Series can tow 3.5 tonnes, too, here but I'd rather not... :unsure:

Every series LR (2 and 3) I have owned stated on the plate on the bulkhead that max towing weight is 2 imperial tons, which is 2032 KG. A 2.25 petrol would find this a pretty asthmatic experience, especially if there were hills involved.

We need to abide by what a manufacturer has written down if we wish to avoid trouble :)

Yes. I know.

However, my Series has no weights in the VIN plate (original one) and the type approval per country eventually rules.

And to add some fun - that is usually different per country..

My 109 is plated for 4tonnes of trailer; 6.7 tones gross train weight.

Hard work, but with a balanced load, doable.

11 inch front brakes, twin leading shoes, servo. It stops well.

The TDI helps.

G.