New shocks, on a budget.

OK, I've searched and searched but I still don't have a definitive answer.

I need to replace the shocks on my 110, I can't justify spending loads of money so I've set a budget of £150 and that's it.

At the moment I'm looking at, std Terrrafirma, Monroe, both std gas and adventure, and even B**tpart super gaz.

A trawl of similar threads around the web just seems to end up with people saying buy OME, Koni, Bilstein etc. That's not an option.

So, what I'm asking is has anyone any direct experience of any of these cheaper brands?

Dear Pat_Pending,

1st of all, how desperate are you to get them replaced?

Suspension is an area where you only get what you pay for.

People have their own views on what's best and worst.

Personally I would never fit Terrafirma shocks.

A few mates have fitted them and the casings rust very quickly and are from what I've been told have the same ride quality as standard.

I've never used them so i can't really comment but if it barks like a dog it is a dog!

If you don't need them just yet, then save a little more and go for the best.

These would be Bilstein or OME.

OME come standard with Urethane buses.

Bilsteins don't.

Koni do some HD dampers but are massive in diameter and price.

mates have driven my 2004 XS 90 and can't believe the ride quality.

What ever you do make sure you use Urethane bushes (except if you purchase OME of course) you wont regret it.

I have recently had a suspension upgrade completed.

I scrimped and save then purchased OME front and rear along with an OME steering damper.

One of the best mods completed on my 2004 XS 90.

Well worth it and not regretted.

If you need em ASAP then do for standard Land Rover HD as fitted to later level XS models.

Obviously make sure that they are compatible with your year range, if they are they'll should be a direct swap.

landypc

Thanks so far, should add I'm after something hopefully better than the oil filled Armstrongs, I had gas dampers on the Range Rover and was very pleased with the ride (Koni). Not a case of saving up, I just can't justify the cost no matter how good they are.

TBH, I'm leaning toward Monroe Adventure, I just need some first hand reviews.

I have OME on mine and my dad has armstrong on his. He has standard springs, I have maxtraction ones. His ride is sooooo much better.Land rover will have spent a fair bit of money getting the right damping and spring rates for each vehicle. If you dont need a lift you are probably best off sticking with all standard parts.

Jad

=jon=, on 10 Jul 2013 - 19:55, said:snapback.png

I believe Armstrong are what LR fit in the factory from new (pretty sure they did on the series, possibly defender too).

I think so too. Another good brand :)

I'm going to put my neck on the line and say I think that genuine shocks are made by Boge.

Armstrong as a brand seems to go around the forums as OE spec for Defenders and is never questioned. However they may be viable option in any case.

To elaborate, I have a 110 utility. Winch, steering guards and roof rack. Mostly medium load and mild/medium off road.

Front springs are Land Rover HD and rears are td5 station wagon progressives.

Love the ride but it's underdamped.

I need a shock that's compliant but controled, so going to be gas pressurized.

I know Konis are spot on but I'm sure I must be able to find similar dampning characteristics in a cheaper shock.

I think the Terrafimas fit the bill but I keep hearing stories of poor quality control.

I read some good reviews on the Monroe Adventure, but they weren't on a L/R.

None of the manufacturers put any meaningful description of dampning rates, I know what I want, I don't want to pay a premium for it,

Hence looking for peoples personal experiences.

Interested in this thread as I need to replace a rear gas shock to get through the MOT and wondering what to get?

Almost went for Terrafirma TF117s till I read some bad comments, also considered Monroe Adventurer Gas but believe their extended length is 558mm which maybe just a little short for my 130, so now looking at black Bilsteins at Paddock's?

My 130 has twin rear shocks each side, one gas, one oil. The gas ones were fitted in Tanzania after a 500km journey over very rough roads broke the Landy standard oil ones (plus a front shock), the landy was heavily laden in those days. Over the years I replaced the other oil shocks with standard Armstrongs which we carried as spares and they are still ok but the old gas ones now need to go. The Landy is now back in the UK unpacked and only doing on road trips so until we decide whether or not to take him back to Africa we just need decent but not too expensive on road shocks so thoughts/recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Like 1

I used Monroe Adventur with OME springs (HD) for work (heavily laden, bad roads, high speeds).... they didn't stood for 10.000 km. The internal shaft got bended and they went stuck in high position.... I was very disapointed at that time, before that I had the originals with no problem at all. I have seen 3 Defender (2 130 and 1 110) from overlanders that are using them with good results in their travel for South America

I would go with Armstrong. I swapped a set of new Armstrong for Terrafirma recently and honestly can't tell the difference.

I've used Terrafirma in the bush before now and they didn't last long at all.

Just fitted some rough country gas shocks which seem ok, slightly better than oil ones. Have also used decarbon which did a very good job And were pretty tough.

I've found the britpart gaz ones to be good and for the price would fit them again.

Interested in this thread as I need to replace a rear gas shock to get through the MOT and wondering what to get?

Almost went for Terrafirma TF117s till I read some bad comments, also considered Monroe Adventurer Gas but believe their extended length is 558mm which maybe just a little short for my 130, so now looking at black Bilsteins at Paddock's?

My 130 has twin rear shocks each side, one gas, one oil. The gas ones were fitted in Tanzania after a 500km journey over very rough roads broke the Landy standard oil ones (plus a front shock), the landy was heavily laden in those days. Over the years I replaced the other oil shocks with standard Armstrongs which we carried as spares and they are still ok but the old gas ones now need to go. The Landy is now back in the UK unpacked and only doing on road trips so until we decide whether or not to take him back to Africa we just need decent but not too expensive on road shocks so thoughts/recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks

You'll be lucky to find the Bilstein Black models - after a load of research and messing around I finally placed my order for them only to get a phone call from Paddocks to say they stopped stocking them, despite their website showing them as in stock. Nobody else could supply them either in the UK as far as I could discover. So don't get your heart set on them until you find out for sure they can supply! I ended up with the Armostrongs all round on LR OE springs.

Have you looked at the Terrafirma big bore expedition???

Have had them on my comp truck & abused!!! They have held up well over the last 2 and a bit years!!

Just a thought ???

Kev

You'll be lucky to find the Bilstein Black models - after a load of research and messing around I finally placed my order for them only to get a phone call from Paddocks to say they stopped stocking them, despite their website showing them as in stock. Nobody else could supply them either in the UK as far as I could discover. So don't get your heart set on them until you find out for sure they can supply! I ended up with the Armostrongs all round on LR OE springs.

Thanks guys for the input, did consider the big bores and stupidily forgot to bid on a new pair on Ebay which went off recently at around £60, can't see any now for less than that for just one and for that sort of money after reading earlier comments I might prefer to try Koni? Haven't checked the Bilsteins with Paddocks yet but will do so after this. If no go looks like the best bet will be to put Armstrongs on for now and upgrade if we decide to go back to bush bashing!

Cheers

Pete

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd bump this up with an update as I wasn't sure if I'd said what my final choice was.

I ended up fitting Britpart cellular dynamics! Had them on for nearly a year now.

The poly' bush's they came with were utter rubbish, I did let Britpart know but they didn't seem interested. I put standard rubber bush's on.

Anyway the dampers themselves are excellent, perfect ride with the springs I'm using.

All the paint/powder coat is still on despite repeated pressure washing.

I've just got back from holiday in Norfolk, fully loaded for camping and greenlaneing, first time off road with a load on since fitting them and I was very happy with the ride.

OK so it's not the outback, but it's about all most people do. I'd have probably made a different choice if it had been where I was off to anyway.

So, thumbs up for something Britpart, four dampers for about the price of one "branded" damper, it doesn't get any better for me.

They were cheap, and they work!

Have to second that. Not sure my Britpart ones said "Cellular Dynamics" - they were all black and I've a feeling they were the predecessors - but they were something like £16 each and I put them on my RRC with Police spec springs up front (red/white) and an unknown but heavier HD blue set in rear. That was 7 years ago and they've put up with plenty of punishment on and offriad even though they're standard length shocks working with +2" lift. Also put Britpart yellow poly bushes in, and my RRC can take a roundabout at an impressive pace and remain flat.

I also just put the Terrafirma's cheaper +2" dampers onto my D2. P/N TF127, TF128. My outgoings were OME Nitrochargers and still performing 100%, but the rear metal dust shields had dissolved and the bushes up front were toast. The Terras struggle to handle my rear OME HD springs. I plan to fab new dust covers or get some off the shelf plastic ones and refit the OME's. I won't buy Terrafirma again, not because I don't think they're good, I can't fault them, but for the money I'd rather cobble together the extra bit and have the OME's. I can't be sure but there's evidence that the OME's were put on my D2 right back at the start in 2001 or 2002.

Pat, it's good to hear of your successful use of this shock.

While I am the first to be wary of that brand, I am well aware they do make/supply some worthwhile items. it's only like through each others experiences that we learn which they are.

I need some rear shocks for my 110...

I actually wanted to buy Terrafirma as I knew they matched the spring rates I use and were about the same price as the Cellulars.

I kept reading about poor build quality and finish. I saw some used ones on ebay and all the paint had flaked off and they were covered in rust!

So I took a chance with these.

post-8621-0-81807200-1402231644_thumb.jpg

Still looking good.

Just to add to this, and possibly present another option for cheap dampers. I found myself in want of some new dampers and wanted genuine ones for my old 90. I discovered that some folk buy new cars and immediately 'improve' then with super-fandango extend-o-matic super shocks for 'extreme' articulation. These people are the producers of almost new genuine LR shocks for little money. I bought a set of four, with springs, for £70 over on Defender2.com and am very happy with them. Later Defender rear shocks appear to be gas charged.

Hope this helps someone out.

Chris