Webasto fuel pick up advice

Sharp

Hi

Working through my webasto install and so far I've put a new washer bottle in and made a mount for the heater in the engine bay where the old one was. I'm hoping to connect up the coolant pipes later in the week and run it for a while to make sure everything's as it should be before connecting it up but I'm still deciding on how to supply fuel to it. I'd rather not tee into the main fuel line for a couple of reasons, one I might install an air heater in the future and I'd rather have a dedicated feed for both rather than tapping into the fuel line twice. The second I can't really disclose on a public forum but you can probably guess.

I've seen a nice metal insert which goes into your fuel filler neck rubber hose with a long pick up that stretches into the fuel tank but unfortunately they're £70. I've attached a couple of pictures.

I'd like to make something up myself and have the following options.

1. bodge - drill a small hole in the rubber filler neck and poke a flexible fuel line down from there into the tank. Tape up with self amalgamating tape

2. buy a small slimline fuel pick up (picture below) and attach it straight through the rubber filler neck hose

3. Buy a piece of metal pipe and the above fuel pick up. Attach fuel pick up to pipe and then flexible fuel hose to the other side going into the fuel tank

Does anyone have any advice on whether any of those might work? I'm thinking of opting for option 2 provided there's no problem with having a flexible hose in the tank. If that's an issue it might end up just having to buy one although some of the normal fuel pick up pipes look like they're made of bendy pipe which would work well (last picture)

Thanks for any advice

20300.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Eberspacher-or-Webasto-fuel-connector-Stand-pipe-low.jpg

s-l300.jpg

s-l500.jpg

The filler neck is the prefered option , supported by the factory for both Eberspacher and Webasto installs. if you have access the top of the tank a standpipe is also an option.

Whichever route you take , ensure the pickup has the correct ID as incorrect fueling causes issues with the FOH.

Thanks for your responses. Sorry I should have said it's a 98 300tdi. I'm going to be quite short for time up until Christmas so dropping the tank to fit a new stand pipe is a less attractive option, although it's a reasonably new tank so probably wouldn't be too much bother. It is quite a long run compared to teeing it near the engine bay, I'll have a look and see if I can find out what the correct ID is. The pipe that connects to the webasto is tiny so I assumed that using any larger thickness pipe and then reducing it before the unit would be fine.

FYI is there anything special about stand pipes or is it just a piece of bent pipe through a threaded hole? Just wondering if there is any reason for using one instead of poking some flexible fuel line down into the tank.

Thanks for your help

well my Eberspacher is tee'd into the fuel line on my 300TDi, if I was doing it again I'd use the fuel filler hose option  as the heater will never then be able to empty the tank , but then I do have a slight advantage for parts access by virtue of who my employer is !

I don't think you've said what vehicle it is, but on a 90 you can easily tee into the fuel return pipe feed at the tank. You need to check if the return pipe fitted has a long or short dip tube, and swap to the long one if necessary (nrc9543 vs nrc9562).

Cut the bottom inch off the dip tube so you can't ever run the tank dry with the heater.

Putting it back to standard only means removing the tee and refitting the pipe direct to the tank with a fresh olive.

I did this in the Ibex about 15 years ago and it has never given me a problem. You can see the Tee and the fuel pump in the image below.

webasto_fuel1.thumb.jpg.4649d5fce2851b0441299639f9c1b340.jpg

Cheers everyone. Landy-Novice, how flexible is the pipe you've got? I've never had my hands on one but from the picture the pipe looks like it's pretty bendy, not sure if it would have enough to turn back on itself or not. That would be an easy solution for me I think, I have some thick rubber i could shape and use to clamp it onto the filler neck pipe if it would bend enough to snake it's way down.

Oops again, it's a 110 - I should really have put better details of what vehicle it is. I will have a scope on my tank for the return pipe but it looks a lot easier to access in the 90. Thanks for the picture and part numbers. I'm starting to move back towards just teeing it into the fuel line as an option, it's certainly the cheapest and i guess it can be undone pretty easily.

Can't wait to get it up and running, I never learn that things always take longer than I planned. Fitting the under wing washer bottle meant taking the coolant pipes, intercooler pipes and power steering reservoir off to wiggle it in and then I managed to smash the top off the egr valve off so ended up fully removing that. I'm going to work out a run for the pipes for the coolant tomorrow if the rain eases up a little. Lots of bends by the looks of it.

Used to have the filler-neck type on the ambulance, what a palarva to wrestle that octopus in or out of the filler (during a tank replcaement) and it never worked properly as you can't really tell when you've got it the right way round & not bent the end whilst wrangling it in... might be easier on a 90, dunno...

Mine being a petrol EFI 127 it's going to be quite different (110/127 tank return pipe doesn't have a dip tube), but I fitted a cheap chinese eblag 2L catch-tank in the fuel return line and took the feed off that, so it will run the heater for hours but never empty your main tank.

The 109 has a vastly oversized diesel tank for the Eberspacher, designed to fit in the rear body/cubby... what can I say, the welding stig got carried away in a bout of sleep deprived TIGing...

ebertank.jpg

One of these days I'll fit a petrol Webasto and the tank can be re-purposed as a backup petrol tank. As it stands you could run a heater for about a year on the amount of diesel it holds!

I removed the return fitting from the tank and drilled another hole in it (there is plenty of room) then soldered a length of copper brake pipe into the hole with a plumbers blow torch. Cut the pipe so it feeds from half an inch or so above the bottom of the Tank and jobs a good ‘un.

works perfectly, and brake pipe is the perfect size for the fuel hose.

Edited by Jon White

Cheers for everyone's suggestions, the secondary pipe looks like the best solution. I've not had much time to work on it over the last couple of weeks and I think for the time being I'm just going to Tee off the fuel line before the pump and look into making a more permenant solution later on.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/23/2017 at 3:57 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Used to have the filler-neck type on the ambulance, what a palarva to wrestle that octopus in or out of the filler (during a tank replcaement) and it never worked properly as you can't really tell when you've got it the right way round & not bent the end whilst wrangling it in... might be easier on a 90, dunno...

Mine being a petrol EFI 127 it's going to be quite different (110/127 tank return pipe doesn't have a dip tube), but I fitted a cheap chinese eblag 2L catch-tank in the fuel return line and took the feed off that, so it will run the heater for hours but never empty your main tank.

Resurrecting this old thread as I've just removed my Eberspacher T from the fuel line and needing an alternative that avoids drilling the tank and which may also avoid me having to pour diesel into a separate tank from a container if possible (although I prefer the latter to the former if thats my only two choices).

Is this still working Fridge? Is it just a catch can type of can with the return line cut and put in-line and a feed taken out to the heater? If this correct, Ilm guessing any 3-port tank would do?

Edited by Jocklandjohn

5 hours ago, Jocklandjohn said:

Resurrecting this old thread as I've just removed my Eberspacher T from the fuel line and needing an alternative that avoids drilling the tank and which may also avoid me having to pour diesel into a separate tank from a container if possible (although I prefer the latter to the former if thats my only two choices).

Is this still working Fridge? Is it just a catch can type of can with the return line cut and put in-line and a feed taken out to the heater? If this correct, Ilm guessing any 3-port tank would do?

John - yes it's still working lovely. Return from engine & to tank are on the top, so air bleeds out, and the heater pickup is on the bottom with an inline filter.

13 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

John - yes it's still working lovely. Return from engine & to tank are on the top, so air bleeds out, and the heater pickup is on the bottom with an inline filter.

Grand thanks Fridge. I assume it can cope with a modest dip in the return line to accomodate the tank fitting location, providing the exit-to-return is not too low relative to the rear tank return pipe? Or am I being unnecessarily picky and the return pressure is enough to flow-through?