Thermostat change,then the dreaded bolt sheared!!

DC_

Ok so having decided to do a thermostat change I got to it yesterday. Two bolts came off with no problems and one had to go shear on me πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

so after soaking it over night in plus gas, went out again today. Still no joy..... the mates have said use a stilson tool on them which I don’t have, so I tried mole grips. Any thoughts? I’m scared to drill as it’s alloy and I might ruin the housing.

I got snowed off today......as well πŸ™„

Β 

84DF7122-89EF-4FDE-B49E-8741277C5A7F.jpeg

A97AFDF0-BF1E-421B-9B3F-1DE400360BEA.jpeg

I would guess heat is an option and then a couple of sharp taps with the hammer on the housing.... other than that grind some flat surfaces on the bolt and use a socket or spanner. In fact i'd do both.

Edited by Mutley

AΒ bit of heat and a decent set of mole grips, grind a couple of subtle flats and clamp the mole grips onto it as physically hard as you can get them, then just work the bolt back n forth, try grip as close to the housing as possible, work it slowly, I might have got a spare one of those housings actually kicking about too, will see if I can look it out.

• Thanks 1

Get a nut that's *just* big enough to fit over the protruding sheared-bit, and force it down until it's flush against the top of the alloy housing.

Then use your favourite welder [MIG or stick] to weld all round the top of the nut so joining it to the sheared bolt.

Then while it's still nice-and-red-hot from the welding get a lump-hammer and whack the top-end of the broken bolt *HARD* a few times.

When it's cool-enough-to-touch put a spanner on the nut and unscrew...

The heat from the welder will have an expanding/loosening effect - also hitting it with the lump-hammer will microscopically drive the bolt _down_ in its thread, in the opposite direction to the years of tension it's been applying when it still had its head, so helping to fracture the corrosion-bond.

There's always a risk that some of the thread-into-the-alloy will come out along with the bolt. In which case drill/tap the hole to the next-size-up, and make up a stepped-stud. . . . that's what I had to do on the WWII-era Allis-Chalmers crawler tractor I was working on on Christmas Eve.

Thanks guys, flat surface on the bolt it is when I get a chance. I didn’t want to apply too much heat on the alloy?? I’ve tried a few sharp taps with Β hammer too.... I’ll keep at it. Thanks for having a look for a spare housing Maverick. Much appreciated.Β 

Hopefully more news tomorrowΒ 

Β 

if if only I had a welder, great idea though. πŸ‘

I've used the method Tanuki describes many times with great success. The other option, which I've not tried myself, is chemical:

A bit of patience required, but it looks quite effective!

I swear by a little Loctite low strength lock and seal (243, I think) on bolts near to coolant. Certainly seems to save future headaches.Β 

I agree with Tanuki, if you follow that description I am very confident that it will work. It is a stroke of luck that it sheared off at the top. My 110 has a bad habbit of favouring studs to be sheared off at the base flush with piece they are screwed into :wacko:

Β 

Took about 3-4 hours, my blow torch was also playing up (new year purchase coming I think)Β 

it was also soaking in plus gas for a few days. The heat carefully aimed at the housing I think did the job. Like advised I worked back and forth then many cups of tea.....

Β 

oh oh by the way!! The advice on another thread about heat from the fan inside the cab turned out to be spot on !!Β 

Β 

The thermostat was jammed open πŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ”₯😎

15FFF187-C616-4EEC-97F7-7FE28F2D2A79.jpeg

BC99C823-CFEA-416D-B40D-480467DBE4D9.jpeg

• Like 1

I run a tap through the threads then a die over the bolt if I am reusing it to make sure it is clean, reassemble with a touch of copper grease (unless it is a bolt to be thread locked inplace) then use a torque wrench set to the correct torque so that next time I don't have a fight - so far this has held up good for me.

• Thanks 1

New bolts coming Wednesday with all gaskets, copper grease will be going on and torqued to 7-10nm. πŸ‘Β 

Β 

happy new new year to you all 🍺🍺

MmmΒ just looking at your original pic, it looks like you have another half hole adjacent to that stud, as if the stud has been moved. If that is the case, once you have put the new stud in, I would fill the half hole with something to keep the water out, maybe silicon, just needs to be waterproof to stop future corrosion of threads.Β 

• Thanks 1