7 minutes ago, MECCANO said:

So I'm guessing from the level of reinforcement going into this chassis, you wouldn't recommend some one bolting portals to standard chassis, even if it's new?

Have you seen how much metal is in these things? Unsprung weight is about the same as the moon.

Also - great news on the scans etc. Stephen :i-m_so_happy:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MECCANO said:

So I'm guessing from the level of reinforcement going into this chassis, you wouldn't recommend some one bolting portals to standard chassis, even if it's new?

I would say it depends on what portals you plan on using my mogs weigh 250kg without wheels so around 100kg heavier than standard rover axle, sumb axles will be heavier, Volvos being the lightest @FridgeFreezer is your man for them. @Timc20xeripped a section out of his chassis so I'm playing safe regards Stephen

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Have you seen how much metal is in these things? Unsprung weight is about the same as the moon.

Also - great news on the scans etc. Stephen :i-m_so_happy:

I would not be surprised if unsprung weight is the same as the sprung weight :) once finished .

Very good to hear your treatments have worked and all is looking good too.

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

I would say it depends on what portals you plan on using my mogs weigh 250kg without wheels so around 100kg heavier than standard rover axle, sumb axles will be heavier, Volvos being the lightest @FridgeFreezer is your man for them. @Timc20xeripped a section out of his chassis so I'm playing safe regards Stephen

Tim does also have enormous tyres on top! 

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

This isn't solely aimed at Stephen, more the collective and their thoughts.

I thought the issue was more around the added leverage genrated by the drop boxes. Increasing wrap/twist. Wouldn't unsprung weight only become an issue during extremes of articulation or if you were going to pretend you were in the Dakar. Or am I missing something.

I figured you could help with the wrap issue by raising the top mount point of the a frame ball joint. Or by replicating a radius arm setup (like the front) to relieve the forces on the a- frame joint. But then you would need a watts setup like a d2.

Then again I don't remember seeing the maxidrive bolt on boxes having issues. However I don't think they had as much drop as the mog axles.

Preparing to be shot down...

4 minutes ago, MECCANO said:

Then again I don't remember seeing the maxidrive bolt on boxes having issues.

Not sure those have ever been seen being used in anger have they? :ph34r:

Back to your question - it's a bit of both. Portals (+ the inevitable larger tyres) do add a lot of extra leverage on suspension components, my 109 suffered badly from axle wrap until I put the bars on, and during a heavy recovery (tugging an immovable idiot in low 1st) it snapped the back one.

However, under more normal conditions you do also have knocking on for double the amount of weight flailing around underneath the car as it hits bumps etc. and the suspension (and mountings) have to deal with that too, it's probably similar to the effect of putting an extra ton of weight in the truck all the time and driving around, you're going to stress stuff more & wear it out faster.

• Like 2

Everything has momentum when moving the heavier it is the harder it is to stop. Normally under braking and cornering the momentum is the body chassis etc, however hitting a bump or hole it's the axle. The suspension has to deal with this and with the change from chassis momentum to axle momentum. The lift in height also increases the chassis momentum. On top of this with portals you add a lot of extra leverage. Pah portals they'll never work.....:hysterical:

Mike 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Pah portals they'll never work.....:hysterical:

What !!!!!!!!!

You've let me do all this work and decided to tell me this now !!!

And here's me classing you as a friend on this forum.......

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Whilst I agree with what you’re getting at here, I know that they competed at least one ladoga….but I’ve never understood why people went for them as at the time they were 2-3 times the price of Volvos.

35 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

I know that they competed at least one ladoga….

I'd be interested to see the truck & which class it competed in, I've genuinely never seen bolt-on portals in action outside of that one chap with a 130 that did some overlanding and spammed pictures of his truck across every known corner of the internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

What !!!!!!!!!

You've let me do all this work and decided to tell me this now !!!

And here's me classing you as a friend on this forum.......

Regards Stephen

It's alright fridgefreezer is a friend, he has portals and his'll never work either......:stirthepot:

Mind he does need to get his muddy from time to time! :ph34r: :hysterical:

Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

We had a guy running maxidrive portals here in DK aswell as in Transgothica and Magam trophies back in the day. They were fitted to a std. 90" and worked ok as far as I know. Maybe not worked in anger, but very much "worked" 🙂

They have later been fitted to various vehicles and especially 110's like them... or is it me liking them on 110's? 🙂

/mads

Edit: you can se the car in this video. It is the one on the err.. front? Of the video, Green 90: 

Edited by toenden

51 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd be interested to see the truck & which class it competed in, I've genuinely never seen bolt-on portals in action outside of that one chap with a 130 that did some overlanding and spammed pictures of his truck across every known corner of the internet.

From memory it was a white tomcat with the maxi drive portals and simex ET2 tyres competing in TR3

Because I’m sad and nostalgic I still have the LRM issue from 2006/007 with it in. I’ll dig it out when I get home, I believe jez even has a mention in it as he was bumped up a class because of mods.

the 130 guy uses the tibus portals. I dare say they are a bit better than the maxi drive as they use a lot of g-wagon parts. I really liked that truck but lost all respect for him when he started a crowd funding page to rebuild the thing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

From memory it was a white tomcat with the maxi drive portals and simex ET2 tyres competing in TR3

Because I’m sad and nostalgic I still have the LRM issue from 2006/007 with it in. I’ll dig it out when I get home, I believe jez even has a mention in it as he was bumped up a class because of mods.

the 130 guy uses the tibus portals. I dare say they are a bit better than the maxi drive as they use a lot of g-wagon parts. I really liked that truck but lost all respect for him when he started a crowd funding page to rebuild the thing 

Why on earth was he crowdfunding for a rebuild? Did it get crashed?

On 7/4/2022 at 6:13 PM, Stellaghost said:

Remember this..

Well had another consultation today and saw the top dog, so he is very happy and told me they have no concerns after discussions with colleagues from other departments and apologised for this  information not being relayed after the meeting. His junior at my last consultation got a bit ahead of himself !!!!! So I have a scan in September and if results have not changed significantly that will be my last scan, after that it's just blood tests.

Apparently these nodules can come and go , grow, and shrink etc

So all in all good news for me to share with you guys regards Stephen

Excellent news

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Why on earth was he crowdfunding for a rebuild? Did it get crashed?

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Honestly though, not really in the spirit of things, he was making money out of it through photography/films, so was a business, why should we fund his business?

Exactly

@FridgeFreezer as much evidence as I can give you…

642F1089-9AF4-4E9B-98D9-3D0A3665A76C.thumb.jpeg.c0b1406f20531fe4b0a42e40725b6ac4.jpeg

FE03CB8D-BE5F-4828-B179-0B81F12AA6EC.thumb.jpeg.2c5211a14c7e36cfe50caf3eaa8be5a0.jpeg

87BA6172-A0A1-4DB7-934A-D668E444C011.thumb.jpeg.cccff07cf97bf0d296b15c300911dd57.jpeg

BC6736A1-A6D2-40EC-843E-68BF22589E69.thumb.jpeg.63ba749479fcbd13821047a1e307f2d1.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Interesting, wonder what happened to it?

That car still lives (if we are talking of the tomcatish thing), or atleast it did in oktober when I ladt meet it in Pomarania 🙂

Still running portals but I don't know which kind. Lovely chaps, and through the years I have seen it fly more than once so used in some anger 😎

It is quite funny in another way aswell, as the engine rests in the rear of the car...

As far as I can see on the pictures, the codriver looks to be the same, although a bit older now 🙄

/mads

• Like 1