3 minutes ago, muddy said:

@miketomcatthink Sid is likely to see more abuse than Mikes ibex or Eds 110 for example?

This is very true, pre- morphed Sid used to do winch challenges and also modified trials which can be ridiculous and get very damaging

The other problem is I tend to think" can I get over, through that".....

In the past people have walked away shaking their heads thinking well he's definitely f£%&£%&ed that, but my ace in the hole is that I can repair virtually any damage to my vehicle, if I couldn't I would have to be more considerate to protect my wallet...lol regards Stephen

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, muddy said:

Id say 3-6mm depending how rocky your terrain is. I had to weld my chassis bottoms up at least once a year do to peeling them open on rocks or replacing bits of trailing arm ears where they had bent up badly, it doesn't need to survive a landmine and it doesn't matter if it dents its just to stop you smashing the bottom to bits by catching it on stuff, @miketomcat didnt you once smash a PTO drop box off? 

Two plain hinges at the front (20mm? bar?) and a M16 on each side just infront of the rear arms would make it hinge down to wash out. This all depends entirely on how rough you intend to be I completely understand but I think Sid is likely to see more abuse than Mikes ibex or Eds 110 for example?

I've never hit the PTO drop box even though it hangs below the chassis. Whilst Sid will undoubtedly be used harder than mine or Ed's neither of us are known for holding back. 45 on the other hand was used to the point of serious damage at Ladoga. However all of the damage was to the chassis and cross members, I never wished I'd fitted a belly pan.

Mike

• Thanks 1

My 110 did have a good fight with parts of Wales. I think we can say it was a draw, Wales snapped 4 of the 8 bolts holding on the towbar but the 110 did snap a 4ft boulder of Wales in half.

Only one of us had to tow the Argocat back to my parents though...

Your under-belly clearance should put mine to shame, and I don't find it bellying out too often :P

Clearance_sm.JPG

I think folks can go OTT with all this armour, if you hit something gently then quite thin stuff is fine, if you hit it hard enough it may make no difference whether it's 5mm or 15mm thick. Also worth looking at the actual armour-grade steels & alis, you can get away with very thin plates of it by comparison.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Cough........

Speaking of transfer boxes.........

Regards Stephen

There are a couple of people on here who have met Bob (@Gazzar springs to mind), he's the friendlies / (semi-) most helpful person you'll ever meet. And there in lies the problem, he's always dropping what he's doing to help the next person - the problem being he never quite finishes helping the first person and never ever gets around to doing his own stuff.

When I went to his yard last time the 40ft shipping container which was rammed with transfer cases somehow had managed to squeeze double the amount of stuff inside it. There were two 40fters side-by-side, the plan was to move the now empty one to another spot on the yard and then sort through the transfer case container whilst moving the contents to the new location.

I'll keep pestering him but unless I go up there and look for it myself I doubt he'll have the time too - and that's going to involve basically finding all LT230s in his yard and removing the plates to see what gearing they are as he doesn't recall it being labelled up as such :glare:

Spent the morning tinkering on with bottom suspension mounts, not happy with end result so back to the drawing board

My not happiness

Some 47mm shaft

20220824_105943.thumb.jpg.422a9cae027a5853c5cb4bc522de6386.jpg

drilled

20220824_112438.thumb.jpg.534cc1941892e81a917450c23a0ef7c2.jpg

Machined on the lathe

20220824_115304.thumb.jpg.14ac718ed449e61444fa576b6f91b91e.jpg

20220824_123854.thumb.jpg.094adb54ee9d16a6dbb7847bf1357e16.jpg

20220824_124632.thumb.jpg.25ded1dcd6afdf46500b9590da265d4a.jpg

Slot milled out and ends shaped

20220824_140256.thumb.jpg.00427d125e7eebad346b32d1c5f909e6.jpg

tried for size

20220824_140507.thumb.jpg.ec5102bdba082bd65d4cfb472bca801b.jpg

As you can see it's not wide enough, may just look at some Folded flat bar, will be lighter and not take several hours to make..lol

Regards Stephen 

• Like 3