9 hours ago, NRS91 said:

Apparently multipack boxes of deutsch plugs are cheap on TEMU, my cousin keeps buying random multipack boxes to keep his service van topped up. Might be an option if you want to reterminate it all with waterproof stuff.

Wow how much stuff on Temu

Will be revisiting

Regards Stephen

14 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Failing that and we all get together and cobble a MS install together through donations :D

Pretty sure I've got a slightly used MS that Stephen could have.

13 hours ago, NRS91 said:

Apparently multipack boxes of deutsch plugs are cheap on TEMU, my cousin keeps buying random multipack boxes to keep his service van topped up. Might be an option if you want to reterminate it all with waterproof stuff.

I'm fairly wary of knock-off connectors, I'm sure they mostly work OK but there's a lot of precision engineering & fine tolerances in connector pins to make them actually work properly & reliably rather than going all melty and on fire :ph34r: and you'd probably never spot the difference by eye.

• Like 1

Just now, FridgeFreezer said:

I'm fairly wary of knock-off connectors, I'm sure they mostly work OK but there's a lot of precision engineering & fine tolerances in connector pins to make them actually work properly & reliably rather than going all melty and on fire :ph34r: and you'd probably never spot the difference by eye.

Yea thats fair, my cousin is a HGV fitter working on skip lorries and they hold up to the abuse there which is why i recommended them.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Echo that.... I'd far rather spend the money on decent branded stuff so I can trust it. Temu stuff I wouldn't be trusting. Seen a couple of people say they've ended up with subscriptions or spurious charges after buying from there.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Happy to buy it you think it's the right way to go, however if it involves laptops etc it will be a no go, I'm more terrified of computers than I am of wiring..........

Regards Stephen

• Haha 1

Given you have the LS400 ECU there and it's free I'd get that fired up since we know how to do that. Getting MS running whilst more flexible in the long run will inevitably mean a more significant wiring job, plus there's then tuning it.

It's (one of) the biggest benefits of the 1UZ setup is that the factory ECU just runs the engine and gearbox (but that you simply disconnect and ignore and the ECU doesn't care). If you want to play about after the event then at least you have a running engine to start from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, Ed Poore said:

Given you have the LS400 ECU there and it's free I'd get that fired up since we know how to do that. Getting MS running whilst more flexible in the long run will inevitably mean a more significant wiring job, plus there's then tuning it.

Agreed - the factory ECU is there & will play nicely you'd be daft to replace it. The day it decides to play up feel free to prod me about an MS though ;)

• Like 1

A question for you electrical guru's 

This connector is from the alternator and sump hopefully you can see the little silver dots on the wiring

20231004_114343.thumb.jpg.300bf2ecaf82d9ec0cdfae9b70623fbd.jpg

what do these dots mean, I'm trying to match wires up, but for example there is a green and red wire with silver dots on it but the only other green and red I can find has reddish brown dots on it

any words of wisdom gratefully received, I'm asking because I cannot find reference to these dots in the wiring book

Regards Stephen 

Regarding the sump I recall that's just an oil level sensor (possibly just a switch and not the most reliable) that fed the dash so not usually used in conversions. At least they didn't do what they did on the 4.4TDV8 and get rid of the bloody dipstick!

Chase the wires through on the engine side and I think you'll find most of them unnecessary, that whole "loom" isn't required to run the engine but just feeds the alternator and sensor on the sump. I can't remember if there was some thing else attached (I'll try and remember to have a look on mine) but not needed for running the ECU.

7 minutes ago, steve b said:

Any thoughts about the exhaust ? I'm hoping it's going to speak to the locale :D

So rather ironically beautifully a Tdi exhaust is about the right diameter for one. Being naturally aspirated bigger doesn't necessarily mean better like it does in a turbo system. 

17 minutes ago, steve b said:

Did it come with a @FridgeFreezer:mellow:

They look pretty good and environment proof

Any thoughts about the exhaust ? I'm hoping it's going to speak to the locale :D

Steve

I would have loved it to come with a @FridgeFreezer then I could have sat back and watched a master at work....

Unfortunately it is just the stuff I ordered from Temu

Exhaust will be hand crafted eventually 

Regards Stephen 

12 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Stephen will be an electrical genius within a week. 

You are soooo bad...

you absolutely know that will never be true of me...

An electrical genius would not have been stuck in a bog in darkest Wales with no temp gauge or oil light.....

Regards Stephen 

37 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

So rather ironically beautifully a Tdi exhaust is about the right diameter for one. Being naturally aspirated bigger doesn't necessarily mean better like it does in a turbo system. 

That'll certainly blow the soot out once you get it it running :)

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

That'll certainly blow the soot out once you get it it running :)

I was wondering whether a Rover V8 downpipe thingy could be grafted onto the 1UZ headers such that you're at least then standard LR exhaust positions etc. Ideally need to get hold of one to try it out.

Defender is sorted for the moment, so JCB engine rebuild next then perhaps some time on my 1UZ.

18 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I was wondering whether a Rover V8 downpipe thingy could be grafted onto the 1UZ headers such that you're at least then standard LR exhaust positions etc. 

Pretty sure I won't have that luxury, there is not a lot of standard configuration under Sid....

regards Stephen

• Like 1