2 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

I did look into doing that myself but decided is wasnโ€™t doable. Clearly I was wrong and Iโ€™m now sad I got rid of my mog diffs

Don't be sad there's a guy on eBay selling 3 pairs of 404 axles for ยฃ600 per pair regards Stephenย 

7 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Ahhh Daan what did you go and do that for !!!! Can't get it out of my head lol regards Stephen

I did it because we are the most informative forum in existence, so it should be shared!:SVAgoaway:

13 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Going to have to strip one of my diffs down to see how doable it is with the equipment I've got. Daan did it say how much the diff nose was shortened by regards Stephen

Have a look here:ย https://www.facebook.com/ร„ssa-Offroadi-seiklused-102461024699138

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Lordy I can feel the weight of those things just from a picture :lol:

I promise you now, they are heavier than they look. To the point where my plan was to do what soren did and weld a mog flange on the end of a landy axle with the diff upside down. Iโ€™ve got one tacked together but canโ€™t do a propper test fit with the shafts in place. Nige hasย got some 2.88 ring and pinions on the shelf with my name on to make the gearing a bit more sensible too...

• Haha 1

So been having a bit of rough measuring I think I can take 110mm off pinion length plus what I've already removed gives me 155mm or a smidge over 6"

ย I was looking to extend chassis by around 7" but I may get away with not lengthening at all, so all looking good on paper at least. But, there is a few issues namely splines to cut and threads to machine which is a pain as I have never done either with lathe or mill, also diff has internal threads for tightening up taper bearings so lots to do and think about regards Stephenย 

20210510_184948.jpg

20210510_185020.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Like 3

On 4/26/2021 at 2:01 PM, Stellaghost said:

I would agree most of the difficult machining is done although I still need to make tubes to hold radius arm bushes once I get around to needing to make the radius arm/arms regards Stephenย 

Talk about speaking too soon lol regards Stephen

2 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

So been having a bit of rough measuring I think I can take 110mm off pinion length plus what I've already removed gives me 155mm or a smidge over 6"

ย I was looking to extend chassis by around 7" but I may get away with not lengthening at all, so all looking good on paper at least. But, there is a few issues namely splines to cut and threads to machine which is a pain as I have never done either with lathe or mill, also diff has internal threads for tightening up taper bearings so lots to do and think about regards Stephenย 

Just shim it like a land rover diff.

Daan

30 minutes ago, Daan said:

Just shim it like a land rover diff.

Daan

Possibly, two taper bearings back to back, threads on pinion shaft tightens inner races and pushes bearing into tapered on-board bearing. Prop side bearing outer race is tightened by threaded castellated ring that screws into diff nose, may struggle with a shim to get bearing tight enough regards Stephen