14 minutes ago, Wytze said:

New gen. machine's don't need skilled workers to operate them.  

I think VB may disagree with that. CNC certainly involves skill just a different skill set to what I try to achieve regards Stephen

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

I think VB may disagree with that. CNC certainly involves skill just a different skill set to what I try to achieve regards Stephen

For the one's who can programm and calibrate themselves, yes..      

You are doing great.  Great skill, and fast to. 

• Thanks 1

That's looking fantastic, it's a bit late now but would the diameter of that pinion shaft lend itself to having the 16 splines of a propshaft slip yoke cut into it? I ask as a Discovery or range rover solid front prop has a very convenient yoke that could be used potentially adding an inch or two to propshaft length in builds where the prop length is marginal.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie_grieve said:

That's looking fantastic, it's a bit late now but would the diameter of that pinion shaft lend itself to having the 16 splines of a propshaft slip yoke cut into it? I ask as a Discovery or range rover solid front prop has a very convenient yoke that could be used potentially adding an inch or two to propshaft length in builds where the prop length is marginal.

Thanks

absolutely no idea with the slip splines

one thing I have discovered is that the mog pinion is very hard HSS cutters will not even scratch it and the tipped cutter I'm using was the only one I could find that was narrow enough to do the job so I would probably have difficulties sourcing a smaller tipped cutter also the one I'm using is 11/4" bore and bench top mill table is 1" so I had to make a holding bush for it, the joys, I guess no build is straightforward but I seem to be spending about as  much time making jigs and rigs as I am actually working on axle mods but it will be worth it in the end regards Stephen

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Thanks

absolutely no idea with the slip splines

one thing I have discovered is that the mog pinion is very hard HSS cutters will not even scratch it and the tipped cutter I'm using was the only one I could find that was narrow enough to do the job so I would probably have difficulties sourcing a smaller tipped cutter also the one I'm using is 11/4" bore and bench top mill table is 1" so I had to make a holding bush for it, the joys, I guess no build is straightforward but I seem to be spending about as  much time making jigs and rigs as I am actually working on axle mods but it will be worth it in the end regards Stephen

I feel your pain, my feeble attempts at cutting splines in the past have always involved abrasive discs and diamond wheels to shape the discs for the last few passes to size. I'm rough enough not to hesitate to put a grinder in the tool post that would have a real machinist horrified.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jamie_grieve said:

I'm rough enough not to hesitate to put a grinder in the tool post that would have a real machinist horrified.

This has certainly been considered

Definately not ruled out lol regards Stephen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

You’re nearly there aren’t you ?  

@AnderzanderI hope thats not another one of your deceptive curses lol

But yes this is the last job to do apart from paint on this axle

Hopefully posting pictures of completed axle in a couple of weeks regards Stephen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

You’re nearly there aren’t you ?  

@AnderzanderI hope thats not another one of your deceptive curses lol

But yes this is the last job to do apart from paint on this axle

Hopefully posting pictures of completed axle in a couple of weeks regards Stephen

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

No, the whole lot is very hard it's actually hammering my cutting tool to death but I have a plan. Up to now I have just been extending the splines because it is easier to set up when the reality is I'm cutting material I don't need, because I'm going to chop 5" off the end of the pinion, so why cut what I don't need. The plan is to take pinion out of mill and set up in lathe and turn down most of the diameter I don't want and only leave a bit at the end to set cutter up against then the cutter will travel across the reduced area and cut only the section I want this causing less distress to my cutters hope that's clear enough, future pictures will explain better regards Stephen

That sounds like a plan!

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 11:41 PM, Stellaghost said:

Unfortunately not indexible tips, brazed on ones, however I may braze some tips on in the future if I have to regards Stephen

I assumed a man like you would have a tool and cutter grinder..... now where in your shed are you going to fit a Clarkson MK1? ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

I assumed a man like you would have a tool and cutter grinder..... now where in your shed are you going to fit a Clarkson MK1? ;) 

Just to add to this I have been checking out tool cutter grinders, how expensive are they really only havnt got one as yet because you can buy a lot of cutting tools for several hundred quid and of course I've only had my milling machine for a couple of years and my lathe two years longer, both of which were bought to assist with mog axle conversion, not that I'll be getting rid of them once the axles are finished lol Regards Stephen