On 6/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, Stellaghost said:

Absolutely. At the moment I can only find replacement cutters in America at a cost of £250 ouch regards Stephen

9 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Just to add to this I have been checking out tool cutter grinders, how expensive are they really only havnt got one as yet because you can buy a lot of cutting tools for several hundred quid and of course I've only had my milling machine for a couple of years and my lathe two years longer, both of which were bought to assist with mog axle conversion, not that I'll be getting rid of them once the axles are finished lol Regards Stephen

They are convenient to have around for when you have a blunt cutter at the weekend and no spares. I'm sure you'd find lots of strange used for a Clarkson, just make sure you get one with most of the tooling, that can be expensive to pick up afterwards.

3 hours ago, Timc20xe said:

what a great build this is . if you ever start offering the diff shortening as a service I would definitely be interested.  

I've 2 mog axle builds on the go . and have done a sumb axle build before 

We need pictures of these builds, lots of pictures!! Start a new topic and put them in this modified forum please.
I have a sumb axle build ongoing and always looking for inspiration.

Edited by Jamie_grieve
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jamie_grieve said:

We need pictures of these builds, lots of pictures!! Start a new topic and put them in this modified forum please.

Jamie I've got you on my Facebook.  my builds are the big green 130 with 44" boggers.   and now building a set of 404 axles up for my 90 with 38.5 mud treps , the sumb axles were on my old d1 years ago , my back still hurts lol

I've not been on this site for years 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jamie_grieve said:

Second that regards Stephen

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Timc20xe said:

Jamie I've got you on my Facebook.  my builds are the big green 130 with 44" boggers.   and now building a set of 404 axles up for my 90 with 38.5 mud treps , the sumb axles were on my old d1 years ago , my back still hurts lol

I've not been on this site for years 

I third a build thread, I find Facebook disjointed and generally horrible for build threads. Unless you know someone or happen across one it's hateful and even then you'll never find it a second time.

Mike

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Second that regards Stephen

what are you doing with your front axle ? are just using it upside-down and putting another diff drain in or are you cutting and shutting the axle casing ? 

cheers 

7 hours ago, Timc20xe said:

what are you doing with your front axle ? are just using it upside-down and putting another diff drain in or are you cutting and shutting the axle casing ? 

cheers 

Not doing the upside down thing I'm going to swap the axle tubes ( cut and shut ) regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_grieve said:

How does the pinion shaft splines compare to the half shaft splines? What major and minor diameters are they? You need to make new short shafts to move the front diff over?

Pretty similar however I will measure tomorrow and feed back

Short half shaft wise I have a new one with extended splines that may do the job I will be taking a closer look shortly regards Stephen

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jamie_grieve said:

How does the pinion shaft splines compare to the half shaft splines? What major and minor diameters are they? You need to make new short shafts to move the front diff over?

12 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Pretty similar however I will measure 

What a load of rubbish I speak sorry

So half shaft major diameter is 41.32 mm minor diameter is 36 mm. Pinion major diameter is 37.5 mm and minor is 32 mm

Picture of them side by side

20210626_071348.thumb.jpg.52321af52f676e42e85c23f69a852afc.jpg

This is the extended splines shaft for the short side, this is what came with the axles when I bought them and is used when flipping the front axle which of course I'm not doing regards Stephen 

20210626_071409.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Like 2

Front axle tired me out today its so bloody heavy

20210626_140656.thumb.jpg.06d3841952ba54a4c4b8e3af54ea9600.jpg

Moving and balancing don't really want to do the handling 

20210626_141323.thumb.jpg.05241c05f6d6108cd7855f342b047927.jpg

Split into manageable chunks

20210626_145503.thumb.jpg.9c6f6ecac75adcce8ffff9ad538a2de5.jpg

Researched diff removal this time it has to go 90 degrees to the left then it lifts out a doddle

20210626_154928.thumb.jpg.bc98f95ab73dd181e25ad812dc01039a.jpg

All steam cleaned

20210626_191942.thumb.jpg.49ae3651fc7c70410b537e0100d04944.jpg

Axle on bench ready to play cut and shut regards Stephen 

20210626_193440.jpg

• Like 1