Thoughts and musings on the new defender

It is possible that the drop was invisible from the driver’s seat, the two surfaces blending and looking like one.  It’s worth walking the track if you aren’t familiar with it to be sure hidden obstacles don’t bite you hard, especially if deviating from the clearly established path.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Oh come on - as if no-one has ever got an old Defender stuck in similar or worse situation???

Of course, but that tends to be older vehicles modified for extreme off-roading, rather than a brand new, standard vehicle in a place where generally only experienced drivers go.  More like the drowned vehicle.  But my point is not a criticism of the vehicle in this instance.  Many have said on here that the modern vehicles allow bad drivers to get themselves into deeper trouble, and that is going to keep happening.  But it’ll also happen to moderately experienced drivers who become overconfident in the car.

I’m not blaming the car for either of those photographed cases - they’re both obviously the drivers’ fault.

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I'll see if I can find the pictures again, it looked like they'd just driven slightly to one side of an otherwise well used track. 

Thanks - I found the picture and then couldn’t find it again to put any of the others up.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, elbekko said:

Looks like someone took the new Defender a bit too far into the sea...

s98b3ffyv6y61.jpg

ekofy0eyv6y61.jpg

e68v6rdyv6y61.jpg

d36oyrdyv6y61.jpg

(Not sure why the images are stretched after pasting... originals here:

Demo/courtesy car from the dealer. Pure quality!

Hardly surprising. Imagine trying to modify/remanufacture the independent system.

I wonder what the weight of the tyre/wheel combo is. The rear frame/hinge/door-casting will probably break.

And to change wheels you'd have to go the Gym for a year before trying it. Nice Tonka Toy though.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

By entirely missing the point of the vehicle? Yes.

I think the Newtons per metre got me worse than the clear lack of understanding of everything else.
I also don't believe a word he says about the handling or body roll or anything else. Is there any chance that this is a coil sprung one?

On 5/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Must be some in the states from the H1 crowd that would adapt?

Jesse Haines Fabrication does a portal kit using the H1 components. I think the kind pins are bushed rather than some kind of sealed bearing so not sure how they'd hold up outside of a dry rock crawling situation.

38 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Jesse Haines Fabrication does a portal kit using the H1 components. I think the kind pins are bushed rather than some kind of sealed bearing so not sure how they'd hold up outside of a dry rock crawling situation.

Depends - LR kingpins are railko bushed after all, as are the Volvo ones, although mine are bearinged now :D

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

h1 portalboxes are now very sought after unsurprisingly 🤣

• Like 1