Snake oil for sale

monkie

12 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You mean to make the fake fuel saver blue LED even cheaper than £2? :lol:

TBH even though there's only an LED in it I can't quite believe they can sell them for £2 and make money.

And ship half way around the planet...  goes to show the markup on electronics goods.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

And ship half way around the planet...  goes to show the markup on electronics goods.

As Al says, it shows the Chinese government subsidy and cheap / prison / slave labour possibly maybe allegedly :ph34r:

Also, cheap Chinese electronics are a long way from quality, much like Britpart are a long way from gen parts. I wouldn't buy anything mains powered or with a lithium battery in it.

• Like 1

Oooh, I can't resist this as its a new one on me. I have seen "superchargers" that run from your 12v cigarette lighter socket before, but this "supercharger" is spun by the flow of incoming air.  This blockage in your induction system can also save you on fuel apparently..... Hang on, I get it now. It leaves the 12v lighter socket free to plug in your LED/capacitor fuel saver. Genius. :hysterical:

Screenshot_20191205_073702_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There was one everyone used to fit near the air filter which made the air more turbulent which they claimed mixed the fuel better and created more power. I never tried one so I can't comment on how many extra BHP you got, but i would imagine on a 1 litre 45bhp corsa you would be north of 200bhp when used in conjunction with a K&N air filter and cherry bomb exhaust. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cynic-al said:

There was one everyone used to fit near the air filter which made the air more turbulent which they claimed mixed the fuel better and created more power. I never tried one so I can't comment on how many extra BHP you got, but i would imagine on a 1 litre 45bhp corsa you would be north of 200bhp when used in conjunction with a K&N air filter and cherry bomb exhaust. 

I think that's got to be getting you into the territory of having to save up for a huge ironing board style wing on the back to provide all that extra downforce needed for the drive down to Halfords to get some supplies in to wire up your neons under car lighting so people can see you are a moron not just in the daylight but also on these dark winter nights 😁

Edited by monkie
Extra info
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

It was called Hyclone, and was discussed at quite some length on here, along with the vortex exhausts that the magazines endorsed (of course).  Basic laws of thermodynamics dictate they can’t work.

19 minutes ago, Snagger said:

It was called Hyclone, and was discussed at quite some length on here, along with the vortex exhausts that the magazines endorsed (of course).  Basic laws of thermodynamics dictate they can’t work.

Snagger , your such a spoil sport , one of them were on my xmas list 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, monkie said:

Hang on, I get it now. It leaves the 12v lighter socket free to plug in your LED/capacitor fuel saver. Genius. :hysterical:

No, silly: it generates power from the "free" energy created by the intake air. This is fed back in via the lighter socket making enough power to turn the alternator into a motor. Over 3000 rpm it'll feel like VTEC just kicked in, yo!!

Get a two way lighter socket adaptor and enjoy it supercharging the lighter socket superchip too... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lo-fi said:

Get a two way lighter socket adaptor and enjoy it supercharging the lighter socket superchip too... 

Ridiculous, if you use a two way socket you will break science and you tank will actually start to refill as you cruise along

On 12/5/2019 at 7:43 AM, monkie said:

Oooh, I can't resist this as its a new one on me. I have seen "superchargers" that run from your 12v cigarette lighter socket before, but this "supercharger" is spun by the flow of incoming air.  This blockage in your induction system can also save you on fuel apparently..... Hang on, I get it now. It leaves the 12v lighter socket free to plug in your LED/capacitor fuel saver. Genius. :hysterical:

Screenshot_20191205_073702_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

That’s not and electric turbo .... this is an electric turbo 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I thought that a few cars were running these electric blowers as standard? It was why some vehicle systems run on 48v. Or was I dreaming again?

With electric water pumps and PAS, one can see a trend.

If you think about it the plug in led capacitor will work, I mean it charges the capacitor in normal driving so when you floor it the capacitor will power the throttle body meaning that the alternator doesnt have to do any work until your back in normal driving which reduces load on the engine meaning more power is available to go to the wheels. Bet it saves atleast 20milliwats at that crucial moment  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I thought that a few cars were running these electric blowers as standard? It was why some vehicle systems run on 48v. Or was I dreaming again?

With electric water pumps and PAS, one can see a trend.

There's a huge difference between an electric supercharger/turbo and two PC fans in an offcut of drainpipe.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Isn't an electric turbo kinda like having a supercharger by very roundabout means? (Alternator generates electricity, electricity spins turbo, turbo creates boost)

I'd say so. I'd be interested to know just how much power one of these that was matched to the engine would use. I think I heard years ago (probably on top gear) that the superchargers on a Maclaren F1 take 120 HP just to run them.

The one in the video (I've not watched it yet) looks like it will actually compress the air like a turbo does. The other bunch of carp that I and others have been talking about are just fans at best or more like restrictors at worst!

Yes those electric turbo's should be termed superchargers, just like the centrifugal superchargers put there. 

There's no turbine, so no 'turbo' part to them. 

The McLaren F1 was normally aspirated, suspect you may mean the McLaren Mercedes, which was supercharged, and yes, they do take a lot of oomph to run, so in effect a 500hp supercharged engine with a supercharger taking 100hp to run it will be producing 600hp at the crank..... 

Some modern cars ( I forget which for examples) do run electric superchargers to fill in the boost gaps before the engine picks up speed/while the turbo is spooling. F1 engine have the electric motor driving the turbo turbine spindle, so that really is an electric turbo, and it also harvests electrical energy from the turbo by slowing the turbine with the electric motor instead of using a waste gate to control boost. 

All very clever but you never want it to go wrong. 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

The McLaren F1 was normally aspirated, suspect you may mean the McLaren Mercedes, which was supercharged, and yes, they do take a lot of oomph to run, so in effect a 500hp supercharged engine with a supercharger taking 100hp to run it will be producing 600hp at the crank..... 

Yes, I think you are right. Not really a type of car I pay much attention to - but taking over 100 HP to run the superchargers did make my ears prick up. I remember thinking to my self that most Land Rover engines don't make enough power to even run the supercharger on that engine!