Cheap impact wrench Makita copies

mickeyw

eBay link

I've just spotted this, top quality, shipped from the land of cheap goods 😉

Now I have a genuine version, and it's very good, but far from the torque figures quoted in this ad.

Has anyone bought one of these? I'm just wondering how bad they could be. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out of the same factory but must have been built with cheaper components somewhere...

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

:)

Ah, a good old AvE compilation of expletories 😂

I don't think he offered a particularly fair contest against a different style of tool. Despite that the fake didn't do so bad considering the abuse it took, and by his own admission there are some quality components within. I'd love to see the innards of the real thing.

I've gotta say that if you already have the batteries and only want it for home use this looks like a fair gamble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At least they're not advertising it as makita, I remember about 10 years ago they were knocking stuff out as Makita, DeWalt and Hilti, it wasn't, a mate of mine was a builder, a proper skinflint, he rang me bragging he'd just bought 3 Hilti's for a ton, and they came with spare brushes! He was gutted when I told him they were Chinese carp. It was the same with the DeWalt and makita, people who obviously didn't know better were buying these things and some were getting hurt as the machines broke up under load, you still see the drills advertised, for about £25, but not badged as something they aren't.I've been using the Makita stuff for about 40 years now and know nearly every piece of kit they make, I could tell this chinese tat a mile off. We traced a lot of it back to a place in Ireland, when it was raided it was unbelievable, they'd literally thousands of these cheap drills, red for Hilti, yellow for DeWalt, and blue for makita, along with boxes of dodgy labels to stick on them, apparently, so I was reliably informed, there's nothing to stop anyone importing a fake copy of something into the uk, it's when you stick the badge on it becomes illegal.so theoretically, you could open a plant in China making landrover lookalikes and import them no problem, so long as they met our safety regs, the only problem would be if you stuck the badge on one, totally stupid if you ask me, why produce a cheap version of something unless you're trying to rip someone off.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these two months ago out of curiosity, I already have a much bigger Dewalt impact but I have a lot of Makita LXT kit as well so batteries are not a problem.

I can’t fault the makita copy, I’ve used it a lot with no issues, nice build quality, loads of power, using genuine makita LXT 4.0 and 5.0ah batteries. Mine came from a UK seller and was £27 delivered. It’s nicer to use than the heftier dewalt for every day use. I keep meaning to buy another one for a spare.

Edited by oneandtwo

• 9 months later...

I might need to help out a friend and replace the lower arms on an old Micra. I'm wondering if this would work on the bolts rather than trying to get a breaker bar in. @oneandtwowould you still recommend it? £34 on eBay at the moment and I already have 18V batteries for my proper Makita tools. TIA

I would say not, my experience is that sort of situation still requires a breaker bar to crack them off, then you can of course impact them out quite happily. 

Stuff that has been there 16 years is not going to be in a good way.

• Thanks 1

I've recently upgraded my 5-year old cordless DeWalt impact to the latest DCF899. As discussed in another thread about impacts. So far it has managed to release everything I threw at it, including suspension bolts on a 20 year old Range Rover that had been sitting outside for some years. Bolts on a Micra wouldn't worry me. It's not cheap, but as I already had batteries and a charger, I found £150 for the bare tool a good investment and have been very happy with it. Even better, I sold the old one on for £90. 🙂

Filip 

4 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I wonder if it would release crusty suspension bolts on an 04 Micra.

I'd say its a 1 in 3 my 1400 lbft Milwaukee would undo them. It'd also be a 1 in 3 that the bolt would round off and a 1 in 3 it would snap :SVAgoaway:. So I doubt a Chinese copy would manage it.

It definitely wasn't cheap but so far it's not failed on any of the three counts above.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I might need to help out a friend and replace the lower arms on an old Micra. I'm wondering if this would work on the bolts rather than trying to get a breaker bar in. @oneandtwowould you still recommend it? £34 on eBay at the moment and I already have 18V batteries for my proper Makita tools. TIA

Yes, I would absolutely recommend it. I have had it for almost a year now and it is still perfect working order. It won’t match a decent (CP etc) air gun but it has undone far more than I was expecting it to undo and at the price they cannot be faulted - they can be got for less than £30 on ebay now, everyone I know who has tried mine has since purchased one. 

it may not undo your Micra arms but for £25 they are well worth it. I might actually order another now while I am thinking about it!

Edited by oneandtwo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Peaklander said:

As you've already got the batteries, is the bare body impact worth buying? If Makita do a powerful enough Impact.