Wheel carrier design

Anderzander

Hi all

Im trying to think of how I might mount my spare wheel on the back of my 80” - to give more room inside for when we head off camping - whilst still being able to open the tail gate.

The obvious thing is to pick up the crossmember mounts and have the wheel up on the left side of the tailgate:

589A1364-55D0-4898-80F8-8D1299CFDE3D.thumb.jpeg.83c539baca766f027338e013fa9ca38d.jpeg

With those crossmember mounts being central though - I can’t think how a folding one could be made to clear the tailgate? .... unless it folded down onto the ground, and then it seems like it’s be in the way for standing there? 🤔

Any suggestions guys ? 

If you remove one of the little bumpers you can weld or bolt a hinge to the rear cross member clear of the tailgate so it swings away like a Jeep swing away tire carrier. You can get the heavy duty hinge and latch capable of a 37" tire or a smaller tire plus something else. A to Z Fabrications makes a nice hinge as well. Just google the Jeep swing away tire carriers for ideas.

https://atozfabrication.com/tire-carrier-swingout-builder-s-kit.html?category_id=18

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2126.html

I think this is only my second post but I've built a few of these.

Sean

Alternatively you could sell it, and buy my 109. Much more space. I wouldn't charge you much.

But seriously, the swing away makes sense, you could relocate the plate and the grab handle to the carrier. Get a photo of the dog on the wheel cover.

• Haha 2

IIRC Pivlock's are designed for S2 to Defender bodies which are higher than S1 so the top mount will not fit?

My S1 is nowhere standard so I would consider welding something on but yours looks far to nice to muck arround!

I think you could design an drop down fitting bolted to the four tow hitch bolts but that would take up around 30" of space at the rear when horizontal.

A reversed  "Z" shaped side opening carrier bolted to the same four bolts could work but would be bulky?

When i purchased our swingaway, i was told it was an original for drop down tailgates ( MOD stock ) and came with a plate to pick up the door when mounting to a standard door.

It is for a S3/90/110/Defender, not sure it'll fit the 80 as your tailgate bracket may be in the way, but i can take some measurements for you

It's bolted at the cross member and at the capping point...however not sure how it would clip to a tailgate, but i'm sure there is a way

If your interested in it, let me know. £50 and it's yours but you'll have to sort postage or courier 👍

21 hours ago, sgo70 said:

If you remove one of the little bumpers you can weld or bolt a hinge to the rear cross member clear of the tailgate so it swings away like a Jeep swing away tire carrier. You can get the heavy duty hinge and latch capable of a 37" tire or a smaller tire plus something else. A to Z Fabrications makes a nice hinge as well. Just google the Jeep swing away tire carriers for ideas.

https://atozfabrication.com/tire-carrier-swingout-builder-s-kit.html?category_id=18

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2126.html

I think this is only my second post but I've built a few of these.

Sean

Never seen those - thanks for sharing. I’d also never thought of using the handle mounts ... 

I’ll have a think on that 👍🏻

It would be a bit like making one of these, that doesn’t bolt to the door:

https://www.safari-equip.co.uk/land-rover/defender/wheelcarrier/defender-single-arm-multi-height-wheel-carrier.html

16 hours ago, Escape said:

Something like https://www.landers-shop.fr/spare-wheel-carrier-def-half-door,us,4,DA2274.cfm would do the job. Not recommending that seller per se, just the first one I found with good pictures. Available at all the usual suspects, some claiming it fits both Series and Defender.

Filip

Thing with these though Filip and Badger110 is that I don’t want to drill or move anything really - I’d like it so I could remove it when we aren’t camping and have the standard back end.

8 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Get another bonnet to put the spare on when you go camping?  I've always found rear spare carriers a PIA.  

Or just take a set of tyre plugs and a pump and leave the spare at home - that and an AA card is going to get you home. 

Or a spare tailgate and bolt it to that if you get it right the tyre could rest on the cross member when down at horizontal.

Mike

5 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Or a spare tailgate and bolt it to that if you get it right the tyre could rest on the cross member when down at horizontal.

Mike

I hadn’t thought of either the hood or tailgate 😀 Seems an obvious consideration now I’ve heard it - but it never occurred to me.

A custom used tailgate would work particularly well in that is just slides off to go back to standard - the hinges and latches on it are pretty solid too .... Oooo 😊 

• Like 1

Make a bracket to fit the front bumper and mount it horizontally like some of the Belgian Minervas and our pinkies did.

(I would be looking for a spare bonnet to put the wheel on, sticking it on the back with the 80"s narrow springs will make it wallow a bit.  The phot shows the spare on the back of an 80 on a trip to Romania but the springs were beefed up. The bracket doesnt fold and the back seat passengers had to climb in over the front.

Peter

Romania PMB.jpg

• Like 3

If your wheels aren't as heavy as later ones could you make a wide "u" shape bracket to hang the spare over the offside rear panel. As youhave no barrel role on the sides it would sit flush down the side and with rubber to protect it and on the inside some thing to pack the difference like a "G" clamp effect. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 8:37 AM, ballcock said:

If your wheels aren't as heavy as later ones could you make a wide "u" shape bracket to hang the spare over the offside rear panel. As youhave no barrel role on the sides it would sit flush down the side and with rubber to protect it and on the inside some thing to pack the difference like a "G" clamp effect. 

This sounds a neat idea ala Willy's jeep.