110 Adventure loss of control

I find LandyPoint has most of the stuff I need.

Don't have a D2 so really can't say anything on that - sorry

Can't comment on the dealer as I don't know where / who / etc. but is can be somewhat different from the UK.

Hi All,

thanks for feedback. We tried every main dealer in local Northern France but no one could look at it until August, RAC assistance co took it to a Ford garage yesterday where it sits and wheel being removed as we speak. As soon as we have any more news I will post it - vehicle was brand new from main dealer,  not off roaded at all.

Thanks

JT

39 minutes ago, JWT said:

not off roaded at all.

Seems a shame to have the toy and not make full use 😃, now that you're here have a look at the other forums and see what people get into and out of ....(usually!). Hope Ford sorts it out properly for you, ... do let us know how you get on.

They probably mean the stub axle , of this and the hub in a wheel bearing meltdown the stub axle usually gets the worst of it . Get the other three wheels checked really well - have them prise the disc brake pads away from the discs to do the bearing check .

As mentioned above going to the earlier oil lubricated set up is a big improvement .  

Have new brake pads fitted on the axle if there is any doubt about the side that let go - they could well be worn at an angle - and ensure the caliper is checked too .

Steve b

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JWT said:

Hi All,

garage investigating at the moment - early diagnostic is it was indeed the wheel bearing - I’ll update once they have a proper look. Question, is it normal these can fail after only 4 years?

thanks again for all your suggestions.

JT

Land Rover wheel bearings are actually pretty rugged and not prone to failing. However, Land Rovers also tend to face unusual conditions (even if you discount the occasional assembly glitch at the factory) and the wheel bearings are well placed to suffer from that.  As many have already pointed out, seals can be at the heart of the problem.  What some people don't realise is that even a small amount of water can cause a problem, especially if the vehicle sits for a while.  You can get condensation on the bearing track (ironically, the bit that needs grease the most and also the bit that has the thinnest layer!).  That condensation causes surface pitting, which leads to very high wear rates.  If you don't pick up the whine quickly, they can fail.  I know this from quite expensive experience...

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

just to close this one off, eventually had the car repatriated to Landy dealer in UK - hub had seized. Not sure if that is a common thing? No explanation as to why / how it happened, just parts fail! Anyhow bill was over £1800 to repair, new seals, hub, wheel bearing and axle.

Appreciate any final thoughts / comments.

Cheers

john

It's happened to me twice and I've seen it a couple more times. Typically the hub seal fails and grease gets out or water gets in. Or maybe cheap, soft parts

Price of parts would be < £150 but the labour is probably the thing, as invariably the hub can be hard to get off if the inner race welded to the stub axle.

£20.00 for the bearing set. £35.00 for the stub axle. Consumables at £10.00. 500% mark up, so £650.00 parts

2 Hours labour at £525.00 an hour. 

Seems fair

Will, if you replace the stub axle, you don't need to get the inner race off - although two minutes with a slitting disc, a sharp drift and care, usually works

Hi All,

just to close this one off, eventually had the car repatriated to Landy dealer in UK - hub had seized. Not sure if that is a common thing? No explanation as to why / how it happened, just parts fail! Anyhow bill was over £1800 to repair, new seals, hub, wheel bearing and axle.

Appreciate any final thoughts / comments.

Cheers

john

Fastening pin £77, stub axle £280.  That’s got a hell of a lot of markup.  And why the cam bearings?  

There is no way on Earth that a bill of £1800 isn’t fraudulent.   Land Rovers aren’t that rare in France, and even if routine channels couldn’t supply parts are regular prices, then mail order would.

The camshaft bearing puzzled me too , the part number might help to ID this item . 

For a JLR Main Dealer I don't think it's an unexpected amount , all parts will be genuine with bugger all discount . 

Did they perchance bother to check the other 3 WB's ? 

Time to find a good independent I would suggest for future works

cheers

Steve b