Zeus front brake conversion

Cornish Rattler

I was trying to think if our modern car has a servo or not. But couldn't be bothered to look at the moment.

I remember the Bentley had a Morris Minor master cylinder, which always amused me, but it did have a Citroen system as well, the Morris part was just there to provide pedal feel.

What you can learn when you have a chat!

• Like 1

There are hybrid systems, like the horrible one on the Defender and Discovery II, which used vacuum servos through a valve block, with an electric pump module for the ABS.  I haven’t taken a close look, but I’m not sure they have an accumulator, which may be why they feel like the brakes are grinding when the ABS cuts in, and why the pedal vibrates and it has a horrible noise, as well as the system’s comparative poor performance to the accumulator equipped power brakes of the RRC and P38.

36 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I was trying to think if our modern car has a servo or not. But couldn't be bothered to look at the moment.

I remember the Bentley had a Morris Minor master cylinder, which always amused me, but it did have a Citroen system as well, the Morris part was just there to provide pedal feel.

What you can learn when you have a chat!

My Audi had no vacuum servo, but a hydraulic pump built into the PAS pump, that then used a hydraulic accumulator and servo to assist the brakes.

The RRC and P38 have electric pump doing the hydraulic pumping, and then uses an accumulator and abs block as the servo.

Lots of different flavours :)

i ended up going to vacuum servo on my Audi, as replacing the pump, servo and accumulator would cost you the thick end of £1500!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cornish Rattler said:

I just can't reach to getting the Zues front kit this month so will save most of the money up and get it next month :(:)

They’ve just put their prices up too 🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

They’ve just put their prices up too 🤦‍♂️

Yeah they don't open weekends to order as you have to ring them to place an order and wasn't sure if the price they was advertising it with was with V.A.T or not but after looking on their web site it doesn't include V.A.T so was £580 so £700 now but still cheaper than the Heystee ones though.

10 hours ago, xychix said:

I am/was very happy with my zeus kit in my series III 109
also have a:
- defender 90 master cylinder
- hella IP28 pump for vacuum (I believe from some Volvo...)
https://www.paddockspares.com/16x6-5-wolf-rim-tubeless-white.html are the rims I've fitted.

if only I could drive.... 

Useful! Thank you.

The zeus kit looks to me like a total non starter for the reasons stated;

No series wheels on a series?

And non standard consumables. It means you are stuck with them for consumables for ever. Apart from the fact that Zeus could dissapear .

It just does not make sense to me. When the Heystee kit has an option that uses standard landrover consumables and allows you to fit standard wheels.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daan said:

And non standard consumables. It means you are stuck with them for consumables for ever. Apart from the fact that Zeus could dissapear .

It just does not make sense to me. When the Heystee kit has an option that uses standard landrover consumables and allows you to fit standard wheels.

The only query I have with the Heystee kit is whether the metric hub they provide is the same depth as the RRC one that I’ve used to convert my axle to CVs.

I’ve emailed them to ask.

22 hours ago, Daan said:

I get what you are saying Daan i thought the same thing but although the Heystee kit is better made its twice the price and you only get the conversion kit which doesn't come with calipers, disc's, pad's, and everything else to fit them which could be another few hundred quid on top so thinking when i get the Zues kit i will buy a couple of sets of disc's and try and sorce pad's locally if not buy a couple of sets off them.

4 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

I get what you are saying Daan i thought the same thing but although the Heystee kit is better made its twice the price and you only get the conversion kit which doesn't come with calipers, disc's, pad's, and everything else to fit them which could be another few hundred quid on top so thinking when i get the Zues kit i will buy a couple of sets of disc's and try and sorce pad's locally if not buy a couple of sets off them.

The Zeus kit comes with everything and more.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Santana PS10 based kit. After the shock to the credit-card, very much doubt you'll regret the discs, and you'll definitely not regret them in daily use. You might regret the rim choice the Zues kit forces though.

If a weekend toy, discs are still nice, however more for willy-waving than practical reality. Drums need 'doing' every 4-5 months, and if you're not making the miles, you'll not see the consistency and maintenance advantages over properly set-up drums. Doubt a weekend toy will need the drums touched for nearer 2-3 years. However regardless of how you use them, if you've the pennies, discs and servo to match, this makes a definite improvement.

Edited by Landrover17H

1 hour ago, Landrover17H said:

I have the Santana PS10 based kit. After the shock to the credit-card, very much doubt you'll regret the discs, and you'll definitely not regret them in daily use. You might regret the rim choice the Zues kit forces though.

If a weekend toy, discs are still nice, however more for willy-waving than practical reality. Drums need 'doing' every 4-5 months, and if you're not making the miles, you'll not see the consistency and maintenance advantages over properly set-up drums. Doubt a weekend toy will need the drums touched for nearer 2-3 years. However regardless of how you use them, if you've the pennies, discs and servo to match, this makes a definite improvement.

Yeah its not an everyday car just a weekend car but most weekends it can cover 300 miles doing metal detecting trips so getting used a fair bit 😀

Screenshot_20200817-171137_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200817-171111_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Cornish Rattler