Making my own main loom/harness

monkie

Man do I feel your pain. I started mine on December 22. I have my son every other week so I don't touch it when he's with me so I do take breaks but basically been a month of work. I've added a LOT of options to mine and I find if I make a break down list of what I need to do then cross it off as I do it it really helps mentally. You can see your progress even though you feel like you're not getting anywhere. I can finally see an end now, but having to figure things out along the way really takes it toll so I try to have some easy jobs to do along the way. You'll get through it.

I gotta say I really hated fishing the wires for the door jamb switches haha. 30 relays and just under 50 fuses later........gotta test it all out and then clean it up, I never want to touch this again!

Sean

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sgo70 said:

Man do I feel your pain. I started mine on December 22. I have my son every other week so I don't touch it when he's with me so I do take breaks but basically been a month of work. I've added a LOT of options to mine and I find if I make a break down list of what I need to do then cross it off as I do it it really helps mentally. You can see your progress even though you feel like you're not getting anywhere. I can finally see an end now, but having to figure things out along the way really takes it toll so I try to have some easy jobs to do along the way. You'll get through it.

I gotta say I really hated fishing the wires for the door jamb switches haha. 30 relays and just under 50 fuses later........gotta test it all out and then clean it up, I never want to touch this again!

Sean

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

All that work Sean, then you discover that your steering wheel is on the wrong side 😉🤣

Mo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, sgo70 said:

Sean

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

The thing is, you can be properly proud of what you have achieved. 

Well done fella :D

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Does £700 still sound like a lot for not having to do it yourself?

That has been going through my mind as soon as I started to chop up my old loom! I have added a few mods to mine like upgrading to modern connectors, relays for the headlights, better earthing for each corner and glow plug relay. 

Also indid a little more on it today with a fresh mind. I sorted out the parts that were bugging me yesterday and it's really taking shape. I think I spent too long on it yesterday. 

• Like 3

Good to hear, don't back down haha.

I've spent more than 700 on wire and plugs alone haha. The problem is with a kit it will never be what you want and you have to modify them. I've read so much on Defenders having a bad ground and the search is on to find it. For this alone I ran three ground busses (engine bay, cab, rear) all tied to the battery. I suck at electrical trouble shooting.

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

All that work Sean, then you discover that your steering wheel is on the wrong side 😉🤣

Mo

I knew when I took it down to the frame I might not get it back together properly. I also put the wrong engine back in!

Sean

• Haha 1

sgo70, I'm about to start making my own looms for total wiring replacement on my 110 CSW, so I have been following this thread closely.  I am currently struggling to find suitable, accessible locations for auxiliary fuse and relay panels.  Please, what locations have you selected for your 30 relays and just under 50 fuses?

Mike

2 hours ago, sgo70 said:

I sent you a pm cause first I feel like I'm hijacking Monkie's thread and also I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to my build which is easier than explaining everything.

Sean

Don't worry about that. The more information the better, it's all a learning process as far as I'm concerned. I have taken inspiration from how you and other people have done things, I don't want to be reinventing the wheel. 

1 hour ago, Bigj66 said:

For connections to relays etc are you guys just using standard blue/red crimped insulated spade connectors or something else?

Yes but I try to buy decent quality ones, ideally Tyco/Amp, as the cheap ones are often so badly made they'll never work reliably if they stay on at all.

I use these type sockets with the hanger so I don't have to unscrew a relay to change it. You have to get the terminals with the tabs on them to hold them in.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/standard-mini-relay-socket-with-terminals.html

Spent all day yesterday laying on my intake manifold running engine bay wires, sore today. If you look closely at that spaghetti mess of a fuse box you can see 3 relay holders on the side. Thats the fuse box with 10 relays and 40 fuses, couple smaller ones inside the truck. One 60 amp relay and 3 stereo wires to go!!!

Sean

IMG_3854.jpg

Edited by sgo70

3 hours ago, sgo70 said:

I use these type sockets with the hanger so I don't have to unscrew a relay to change it. You have to get the terminals with the tabs on them to hold them in.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/standard-mini-relay-socket-with-terminals.html

Spent all day yesterday laying on my intake manifold running engine bay wires, sore today. If you look closely at that spaghetti mess of a fuse box you can see 3 relay holders on the side. Thats the fuse box with 10 relays and 40 fuses, couple smaller ones inside the truck. One 60 amp relay and 3 stereo wires to go!!!

Sean

IMG_3854.jpg

This is top quality work, my eyes are drawn to the large blue wire on top of the engine. I think one is going to cause you a bit of trouble :lol:

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

That's what I was thinking.... what on earth needs that many relays? One for each and every single light on the car? :o 

I don't know they add up pretty quickly

• 4x for the headlights*
  • 1x Glow plugs
  • 2x Heated windscreens
  • 1x Hazard relay

Thats 8 before you start adding any extras such as an air compressor etc. For example when I eventually get around to the 1UZ swap there's two more for the igniters, at least one fuel pump, ECU main power and so on.

* Or you get into the situation I did where lose one light and lose both whilst doing 60mph down on a narrow road next to a Loch in Scotland in a storm at night - not a pleasant experience I can testify to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I can see an LS but I still don't know how you manage to fit that much wiring into a Defender :ph34r:

It's a giant Faraday Cage. 🙂

Beautiful workmanship but watch out for thieving "travellers", if they strip the car they'll get £9k in copper!

Can't wait to see the end product.  👍

G

Here's my entire fusebox and relay collection for the 109:

2020-02-08_15-13-22.jpg

That's everything in the truck fully fused & relayed including heated screen, EFI, digital dash, and dual-speed electric fans (Freelander dual fan relay behind dash). ECU+EDIS are behind the gauges, midi-fuses for the main power feeds are in the battery box. Total <10 relays and <30 fuses (that's the fusebox capacity but I've got unused slots).

• Like 1

Yeah I had to add 2 for each window for power windows, 2 for power door locks, 3 for the AC to get the engine to idle up and turn on the rad fan, 3 for headlights, air compressor, brake relay for engine ecm, reverse relay, 2 seat heaters, starter, 2 LED flashers, I can't remember the rest. It takes quite a few just for engine controls because it has to go from a 20g signal wire to the load. I didn't even count the 4 built into the push button start, remote start, alarm etc. I don't even want to show what I did to the batteries today, you guys will make fun of me haha. I'm afraid to hook up the positive cable still, have at it lol.

Sean

IMG_3859.jpg

Edited by sgo70
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, landroversforever said:

That's what I was thinking.... what on earth needs that many relays? One for each and every single light on the car? :o 

And yet despite all those relays he'll still be driving it long before you drive yours Ross 🤣

Mo 😉

• Haha 3