Tyre deafness

Fellas

just completed a 150mile trip to Norfolk on knobbly mud tyres. Now I’m deaf 🧏‍♂️ .
I sold my others years ago due to truck being mainly used on mud and obstacle course set up I used to have.

In august I’m planning the nc500.. question is whats the preferred tyre choices of you chaps at the moment?

I currently have 265/70/16 on modulars. Planning to keep same wheels, so can I get some advice for a decent tyre that hopefully won’t break the bank. Like an aggressive look but don’t like the noise of knobblys..

what you guys running ??

thanks

BFG All Terrain KO2 would be my suggestion - in 235/85/R16 for good handling and performance off road or in 265/75/R16 to look cool in Tesco’s car park.

Mud terrains are only necessary if you are driving in mud a lot in my opinion as the impact to noise/mpg can be considerable compared to a good AT tyre. Of the mud terrain options though the BFG KM3 are probably among the best and not too bad on the road.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chambo110 said:

Thanks fellas.. I do like the coopers so that’s good to hear. Looked at bfg’s .. what’s the newest version though. Seems to be numbers and letter all over the place

KM3 is the latest incarnation of the Mud Terrains.

• Like 1

ATKO2 looks superb.  

235/85 is the best size for a whole lot of things, the wider tyres only helping in bog.  Road performance and economy, resistance to aquaplaning and grip in shallow to moderate mud, shallow snow and sand are all better with narrower tyres (sand benefits from bigger diameter tyres, not width, deflated to increase footprint without increasing drag).  Oversize tyres have their place, but really only on massively modified vehicles like Fridge’s or on bog area vehicles like our Falklands contingent.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Snagger said:

ATKO2 looks superb.  

235/85 is the best size for a whole lot of things, the wider tyres only helping in bog.  Road performance and economy, resistance to aquaplaning and grip in shallow to moderate mud, shallow snow and sand are all better with narrower tyres (sand benefits from bigger diameter tyres, not width, deflated to increase footprint without increasing drag).  Oversize tyres have their place, but really only on massively modified vehicles like Fridge’s or on bog area vehicles like our Falklands contingent.

Great info fellas.. much appreciated. So would 265 be classed as toooo oversized and better for Tesco’s ?

any pics on vehicles ??

I have bought a set of ATs* on 265/75 despite the fact that I thought the size was 'all show'.

The reason is that the size of the contact patch and the tyre section are not the same thing, the measurement is for the latter. So the sidewalls do stick out a fair whack but the actual tread footprint in contact with the road is less than my old 235/85 MTs and at least an inch less diameter. On the other hand, the BFG ATs in 265 are a wide tyre.

Also take into account that a 255/85 BFG mud on a Wolf rim is an incredibly heavy package (though no doubting the best combination for 50/50 road/off road use). That diameter of tyre might be perfect for a 1.4 or 1.6 transfer box but on my 1.2, I'd be changing down on hills and taking a hit on fuel economy I imagine. Not sure how you'd tell the difference with the V8 though.

*I am not saying the tyre maker name as I haven't run them, have no way to know how they perform and don't want to misadvise. I did a LOT of research before I finally committed but I can't stand by it until I've tried them out.

On 5/30/2021 at 1:25 PM, elbekko said:

I run Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in that size, not the knobbliest but do pretty good on and off road.

P38 is a heavier vehicle, so the pressure exerted on the tread area is comparable to a Defender on 235s.

Also be aware tyres harden with age quite quickly, and with hardness comes noise -whenever putting on new tyres I find the reduction in volume quite noticeable, same make, size etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I always thought a 90 looked right on 265/75R16 - here's my old one, some way from the nearest Tesco ;)

Tesco not made it to Stanley yet? Seems like a good reason to move down there...

Edited by Junglie

Apologies if you've already bought your new tyres Chambo. The Cooper Discoverer AT3 tyres I've got on my 110 are pretty quiet, seem grip ok in the situations I've found myself in so far (which is nothing particularly challenging, a fairly typical mixture of tarmac and fields as you would on a farm).

They are 265/75/16 and for what it's worth, in my opinion, they look great in Tesco's car park, a muddy field, a snowy forest track, on the M6, towing a mini digger...😁

IMG_20210727_195507658.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Filbee said:

Apologies if you've already bought your new tyres Chambo. The Cooper Discoverer AT3 tyres I've got on my 110 are pretty quiet, seem grip ok in the situations I've found myself in so far (which is nothing particularly challenging, a fairly typical mixture of tarmac and fields as you would on a farm).

They are 265/75/16 and for what it's worth, in my opinion, they look great in Tesco's car park, a muddy field, a snowy forest track, on the M6, towing a mini digger...😁

IMG_20210727_195507658.jpg

Agreed they do look very good

no need to apologise. All the info might help someone else out.

I went for maxxis at980e in the end. Couldn’t stretch to some of the other more well knowns. They got very good reviews from what I found. I’m very happy with them. Nice n quiet, and it stops in the rain and dry. Looking forward to snow test. ( just not yet). Will post pic tomorrow now I’ve painted her up.

cheers

23 minutes ago, Chambo110 said:

Agreed they do look very good

no need to apologise. All the info might help someone else out.

I went for maxxis at980e in the end. Couldn’t stretch to some of the other more well knowns. They got very good reviews from what I found. I’m very happy with them. Nice n quiet, and it stops in the rain and dry. Looking forward to snow test. ( just not yet). Will post pic tomorrow now I’ve painted her up.

cheers

Excellent! Look forward to seeing the pics tomorrow 👍

13 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I thought the same thing. Be interesting to see how they perform/wear. 

That’s all 3 of us then lol

ill keep eyes on wear and let ya know this time next year. Reviews / tests I read up on suggest they perform better. But I think I’ll be the judge.

13 minutes ago, Filbee said:

Looking good 😎👌

What offset are those wheels? That looks to be a serious amount of dish!

cheers mate. I love the way it looks now. Original wheels that came with it were boosts. But the fella I got it from called me about a year after the sale and said I had forgot to take the mud wheels and tyres that were part of the sale. Very honest.

these are the wheels that are on it now, but they had malatesta kaiman tyres on. Muds,, and although I couldn’t fault the way they behaved.. even in snow, I eventually succumb to the noise levels. Must be getting old .

so in short…. I have no idea of the offset.

there is a 30mm spacer on aswell.

I know I know about axle stresses etc. But if I didn’t spend my money and time on this thing I would be at a festival with the wife today watching Whitney Houston and some other clown 🤡 

cheers all for the assistance as always 

Edited by Chambo110