Let's cut to the chase shall we?

Happyoldgit

8 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

It's not that easy to compare models, for one thing you will find ordering a low spec Defender rather difficult. All Grenadier seats are manual - there are no electric options other than seat heaters.

A base Grenadier 5 seat station wagon is £58,000 before OTR costs and RFL.

If it does not come with things like that then I would expect it to be cheaper?

To make any realistic comparisons you need to go into the configurator - all Grenadier models can have loadspace windows or not - no cost option. The new Defender is a luxury SUV; JLR make most money with the blingy ones and make it difficult to order a basic one.

I've ordered a 5 seat commercial station wagon with expensive paint, a contrast roof, safari windows, hi-volt electrical preparation, soft pack, (leccy mirrors, puddle lights, reversing cam etc) side steps and off road biased tyres, at today's price it will be £67k OTR, (I've got the pre-increase price, so £60,500ish). 

Judging by the replies to a new member in Asia asking about lighting specs, it seems LR aren’t delivering or perhaps taking orders at present for low-spec models.  As Jeremy said, they have been built and marketed to be a high end luxury vehicle, not a working vehicle.  They are very much in the vein of a butch Discovery, while Ineos seem to be very willing to cater for the lower spec working vehicle as per their initial press statements.  I presume LR will restart deliveries of base models once supply issues calm down, but who knows?  They may find they can sell their entire capacity at the high spec price.

In that light, I think you can only compare prices to the top LR prices, but making direct comparisons even then is probably misleading.  Any way you cut it, though, both cars are eye wateringly expensive.

On 2/2/2023 at 7:21 PM, jeremy996 said:

To make any realistic comparisons you need to go into the configurator - all Grenadier models can have loadspace windows or not - no cost option. The new Defender is a luxury SUV; JLR make most money with the blingy ones and make it difficult to order a basic one.

I've ordered a 5 seat commercial station wagon with expensive paint, a contrast roof, safari windows, hi-volt electrical preparation, soft pack, (leccy mirrors, puddle lights, reversing cam etc) side steps and off road biased tyres, at today's price it will be £67k OTR, (I've got the pre-increase price, so £60,500ish). 

Congratulations. I hope you have many years of trouble free motoring ahead of you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday i was sent my contract to electronically sign. I checked it to my order and it was correct, so I signed it. 

I'm told that my vehicle has been built, but is still at Hambach, awaiting a software update, before being sent to my local dealer. So, a little bit nearer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

Yesterday i was sent my contract to electronically sign. I checked it to my order and it was correct, so I signed it. 

I'm told that my vehicle has been built, but is still at Hambach, awaiting a software update, before being sent to my local dealer. So, a little bit nearer.

Your excitement is palpable!

I sat in one yesterday...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

@Happyoldgitwhat did you think?

I have been accused of being like a little kid, very, very early on Christmas morning! To continue the analogy, it's about 01:50AM and I am not allowed to open presents until 09:00! Every second drags like a year!

I was pleasantly surprised, familiar yet different. I will expand on the experience when I get chance.

Now calm down now, you know what happens when you get overexcited 🤣

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My local dealer rang me today and said my Grenadier was flagged as ready to be Transported from Hambach to the dealer. They were told to make themselves ready to receive it; he muttered darkly that they have been ready since June!

There is still a firmware update due to be applied, supposedly to modify the idle emissions and not a big deal. What did concern me is that it will have to be registered as a "23" plate first and I will only be able to apply my personal plate, (put on retention from my LR110), later. That suggests that Ineos are doing the registration and probably by post, with all the opportunities for lost time and general cock-ups that creates with the DVLA.

One small step further down the road! 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 6:54 PM, jeremy996 said:

My local dealer rang me today and said my Grenadier was flagged as ready to be Transported from Hambach to the dealer. They were told to make themselves ready to receive it; he muttered darkly that they have been ready since June!

There is still a firmware update due to be applied, supposedly to modify the idle emissions and not a big deal. What did concern me is that it will have to be registered as a "23" plate first and I will only be able to apply my personal plate, (put on retention from my LR110), later. That suggests that Ineos are doing the registration and probably by post, with all the opportunities for lost time and general cock-ups that creates with the DVLA.

One small step further down the road! 

That sounds like a pain over it being registered by the dealer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Delivered today to Chandlers of Belton. Like every other retail Grenadier, it will remain a 2.7T paperweight until given a software flash and registered, (they haven't asked for the final balance yet).

Chandlers.thumb.jpg.9748cf9a3377c62c3423d1a95acbb15e.jpgChandlers1.thumb.jpg.eb5ff2c63f5ad8c090f2481eccba863b.jpg

Chandlers4.thumb.jpg.012473def84b03519ee5647e80d7bca9.jpg

Thoughts? Mostly wild excitement, but I think I should have specified the ladder at the back, it looks a bit bare. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jeremy996 said:

Delivered today to Chandlers of Belton. Like every other retail Grenadier, it will remain a 2.7T paperweight until given a software flash and registered, (they haven't asked for the final balance yet).

Chandlers.thumb.jpg.9748cf9a3377c62c3423d1a95acbb15e.jpgChandlers1.thumb.jpg.eb5ff2c63f5ad8c090f2481eccba863b.jpg

Chandlers4.thumb.jpg.012473def84b03519ee5647e80d7bca9.jpg

Thoughts? Mostly wild excitement, but I think I should have specified the ladder at the back, it looks a bit bare. 

Have to say, it looks superb. Even better when you compare to the SUV parked next to it. Hope it all gets sorted and delivered to you soon. Although as a Jimny owner, I had to wait over a year for delivery.

I like the colour, but what a wind up to have it sitting at the dealers (outside!!) for a further unknown amount of time. 

As I've not had any interest in new model launches for any other vehicles bar the defender I'm interested to know if this sort of approach is common? The defender launch was similarly protracted of course...

Steve

One step closer...

Nice colour. 

New vehicles sat in a compound out the back of dealerships waiting for PDI and fitting of accessories etc is all part of it. I'd be jumping up and down having to wait this long and still not know when I'd get hands on though.

29 minutes ago, steve b said:

I like the colour, but what a wind up to have it sitting at the dealers (outside!!) for a further unknown amount of time. 

As I've not had any interest in new model launches for any other vehicles bar the defender I'm interested to know if this sort of approach is common? The defender launch was similarly protracted of course...

Steve

Cars often sit about and many a company has had to do remedial work on vehicles waiting delivery or sales.

Recently Toyota GR86's sat in shipping yard for 6-8 months due to some sort of type approval issue in the UK.

Years ago a I stumbled across this compound:

yi0YML8h.jpg