Budget workshop build

miketomcat

Excellent, in my experience you do what you have to do, only you can live your life however good, bad, rich or poor that may be, if what you're doing gets you where you want to go then that's job done for me, looking forward to progress updates regards Stephen 

• Like 1

Did exactly that on my old tin shed, condensation was horrendous so took roof off, had some left over roofing membrane from doing the house so put that on, then put roof back on, jobs a good un

Edited by A Twig

Metal is most likely to be cheaper at the moment. 12mm shuttering play is £40 a sheet!

If you need steel trusses I might be able to help - but it will involve a journey to north of me. I'd also drop James a text, as he often knows of barn roofing..  Also DM Angus Norrish - he's a useful source of stuff

Awesome! Good work Mike! Everyone has a way, better keep an eye out for free stuff on Facebook and Friday ad (Although when I search on Friday Ad, nothing comes up for me?!)

I'm also designing a shed to go in a sunken corner of the garden, it'll house Land Rover parts, so was tempting to put a thread up on hear, I'm going to source all the materials myself and build it to my own design, on a budget.

Steve

• Like 2

I'm always on the hunt for free building materials. A good source is when people are having a re-roof / extension and all the often quite decent old timber gets ripped off and dumped in the garden then advertised as 'fire wood'. I've rescued and built all sorts out of it over the years.

I've adapted the single garage metal trusses to give me the span with some 4x1 they seem strong enough. I'm planning to add two longitudinals to pick up on the original wall attachment, that should stiffen it all up nicely. I can add these till the new roof is on and the old is removed though. Once I've got both walls up then I really will need to find some roofing, most is either not enough, to far away or really long lengths (would need to borrow a trailer).

Mike

I've been managing to get a post and some panels in most evenings. The really tight side just needs 4 more panels and the corner post, but I can't do those panels on my own as lifting 30kg of concrete above my head is troublesome. :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

The other side needs a post panels and corner post so hopefully I can see this off at the weekend. Though I really should change a gearbox first. :ph34r:

Mike

A few yrs back I picked up about 10ton of stripped long run industrial roofing for about $1800 got it from an industrial roofing company, picked up straight from site.... over half I took straight to the scrappy's, was bent or rusty.... I got $1200 back for that, the rest I cut short lengths.... enough to cover a 12 x 12m shed and I cashed in the offcuts from cutting the good bits for another $300

Might be an option for you, if you can invest the time to do this 

Oh back then $3NZD = 1 Pound lol 

Three walls are complete now. I need to make up three extended roof trusses ready for the roof unfortunately I can't fit them until I take the roof of the existing shed. I've also discovered the existing shed is squiffy as one wall finishes bang on the front face the other protrudes about 100mm. I will need to concrete across the front to take the front wall but that maybe next year now as I need to take the existing shed front down to do this.

Mike

Something else I need some thought/ideas on is floor. From what I can see/guess the shed is on a concrete pad however it's about 150mm lower than the surrounding concrete including the bits I've added to put the new walls on. The current shed floor is on 150mm joists then something (I assume planks) and laminate flooring on top. It is roughly the same height as the surrounding concrete. I very much doubt any of it has any kind of damp proofing. 

So my ideas are lay some damp proof membrane the float a couple of inches of concrete over the top back filling the lower part (the concrete would have to be mixed by hand). Whilst at the Haynes museum I noted the had a paving slab floor in one area so I could go membrane sand and slabs. My father suggested leaving the shed floor in the lower section and laying a vinyl floor over the lot. Suggestions and comments welcome.

Mike

A couple of inches of concrete's going to be quite weak isn't it?

I'm fairly sure when I've done concrete bits it's worked out almost as cheap to get it delivered by a mixer truck (and waaaay faster / less work), and they will do tougher mixes with fibres in etc. for very little extra.

Also, as taught to me by the last chap who delivered concrete - a wheelie bin is far superior to wheelbarrow for moving wet concrete.

Shout if you need a hand one weekend.

Mike - why are you not going for a Fibreglass roof?  (or has your day-job changed?)

If the matting is still too expensive - what about using something else?  In the olden days, all kinds of things were used with resin to make a stiff board - cotton, wool blankets, even paper.

I don't do much fibreglass these days, apart from fixing plastic cars from time to time. I was planning on a fibre glass roof, I have a roll of Matt and resin is around £100 for 25kg gel is over double that but the absolute killer was 9mm OSB it was £450. The metal sheets I'm picking up tomorrow are second hand but more than I need at £150 and a roll of membrane I can get for about £50. My total spend so far is £480 including the roof and thats already more than I can justify at the moment. 

Mike

• Like 1