OT early overland expedition truckzilla

Eightpot

3 hours ago, Eightpot said:

I can't figure out if the powered trailer sat in the middle is a great idea or a very minor adjustment or stuck throttle cable away from an utter frank spencer style disaster 🤔

The main problem with this is the possibility of the pusher trailer forcing itself to jacknife either on corners or loss of traction on the front. 

8 hours ago, simonr said:

I dodn't know it was (ever) illegal to have two engines in the UK?

I seem to remember something from the Scrapheap challenge special with the Giant tractor thing, the back-to-back Taxi and the Range rover ice-cream van something about not being allowed to use two engines on road if they're driving separate axles independently. I'm guessing its something they'll have changed regarding EVs and multiple motors.

Wasn't one of the ideas explored by rover,with the 101, was to have a driven trailer?

I think the idea failed because the trailer could shunt the tractor unit.

I still think it's a good idea, and probably doable with modern electronics and maybe individual wheel motors.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, landroversforever said:

I seem to remember something from the Scrapheap challenge special with the Giant tractor thing, the back-to-back Taxi and the Range rover ice-cream van something about not being allowed to use two engines on road if they're driving separate axles independently. I'm guessing its something they'll have changed regarding EVs and multiple motors.

Citroen 2CV Safari was legal on british roads...still is

46 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

That’s penguin pecker cool :D didn’t know they existed!

Proper ice cold cool

Theres a 2Cv safari owners club Ive taken out laning a few times - they have even built there own copies of the Safari.

Those nice chaps over the channel, at Renault, also built twin engined R4's - one of which won the Dakar in it's early days

I wonder if the comment in the original video about it being illegal because it had two engines was mispoken - it would be illegal because it's two trailers.

You can't tow a trailer off a trailer in the UK. As Blue Peter was live, he might just have got the line wrong and moved on.

9 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

You can't tow a trailer off a trailer in the UK. As Blue Peter was live, he might just have got the line wrong and moved on.

Yes you can if one is a towing unit like the RAC & AA van use where one end of the casualty vehicles rest on the towing unit & secured to it. 

& agri tractors can tow 2 unladen trailers. 

9 minutes ago, western said:

Yes you can if one is a towing unit like the RAC & AA van use where one end of the casualty vehicles rest on the towing unit & secured to it. 

& agri tractors can tow 2 unladen trailers. 

I was going to edit my post to be clearer, but for everything apart from tractors, it isn't really what people would consider to be two trailers, more a dead vehicle towing a trailer. Either way, the thing shown in the video wouldn't conform!