Strong second hand value …

Been offered more than I paid for mine by a dealer, and it’s done 30k. Madness.

And pointless as it would be a minimum 12-month wait for a new one which would cost a lot more and would have lots of things missing that mine has. More money for a lesser spec, the world is officially mad :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Been offered more than I paid for mine by a dealer, and it’s done 30k. Madness.

And pointless as it would be a minimum 12-month wait for a new one which would cost a lot more and would have lots of things missing that mine has. More money for a lesser spec, the world is officially mad :)

It is indeed!

I am after a specific car that was only made for a short period in 2016/2017 with a diesel as a result of the VW/Audi/Porsche diesel gate thing. What is interesting is that the diesels are holding a higher price than the petrol hybrid version of the same spec. It seems that big diesels are not as out of favour as the media would have you believe

• Like 1

WBAC.com offered me £500 more for my 06 plate Renault Master than I paid for it eight years ago ! AND it has no MOT.

You are right, the world has gone mad.

Dont think I would pay 215k for a Pretender though, when they come down to around £1500, then I might think about it.

Meanwhile, the arse has well and truly dropped out of the (old) Defender market with only very late or very early models in standard, as-new condition really hitting the figures we're used to seeing.

I need to sell my Jag urgently due to the house move and that's worth a fraction of what I paid for it.

Can't win.

17 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Meanwhile, the arse has well and truly dropped out of the (old) Defender market with only very late or very early models in standard, as-new condition really hitting the figures we're used to seeing.

Interesting! Haven't noticed that on the ebay saved searches I've got.

20 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Meanwhile, the arse has well and truly dropped out of the (old) Defender market

Anecdotally, that does seem to be the case.  From people I know who 'deal', they're saying the selling price of middle aged vehicles has slumped.  Asking prices on eBay may not reflect that (yet) though.  In one case £5k for a 2004, Td5 in reasonable condition was all he could achieve, having gradulally dropped the price from £8k & it took months to sell.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, simonr said:

Anecdotally, that does seem to be the case.  From people I know who 'deal', they're saying the selling price of middle aged vehicles has slumped.  Asking prices on eBay may not reflect that (yet) though.  In one case £5k for a 2004, Td5 in reasonable condition was all he could achieve, having gradulally dropped the price from £8k & it took months to sell.

A lot of TDCis that have been put on various forums/Auto Trader/Car and Classic at anywhere between 19-40k and not one has moved in over a month. There's been a couple of TDI in ridiculously nice condition that can't acheive £12k.

This time last year you could have asked £20k for a middle of the road HT or Pick Up and it would have gone without question, they're hanging around now at less money.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:55 PM, Bowie69 said:

10% inflation has an effect on people's ability to spend...

This, coupled with £2 a litre for fuel soon and eyewatering gas bills, A land rover is now out of reach for many people.

Fuel cost has gone from £0.16 a mile when I bought it up to £0.27 a mile. At 30k p.a. that’s an extra £3,300 a year <_<

Interesting to read about second hand values for older Defenders, I guess that market is more affected by inflationary pressure than that for expensive new cars.