LR4x4 Live

Anderzander

20 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Whatever happens we need username labels because I haven't got a clue what most of you look like and I can't remember names for toffee. :hysterical: :rolleyes:

Mike

But if you remember vehicles I'm sure names will come to you

ie Sid the Roach, and if you can't remember my username off that after I've plagued these pages with posts then there is really no hope for you or your memory.... lol

regards Stephen

11 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

But if you remember vehicles I'm sure names will come to you

ie Sid the Roach, and if you can't remember my username off that after I've plagued these pages with posts then there is really no hope for you or your memory.... lol

regards Stephen

Ah see cars are different I can remember a car or even a photo of a car from years ago, I can tell you were it was or what was in the photo. But I have trouble remembering my neighbours name let alone someone I've seen once or twice. 

There truly is no hope, I never had any marbles to begin with. :hysterical:

Mike

11 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

280 miles, 6/7 hours driving to Donnington castle regards Stephen

So Warwick would be another hour and a half on top of that at least. 

I honestly think Derbyshire is the middle ground …. I know for southerners amongst us it feels like it’s the north …. But it is part of the Midlands, even their ITV channel is called ‘Central’.

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

So Warwick would be another hour and a half on top of that at least. 

I honestly think Derbyshire is the middle ground …. I know for southerners amongst us it feels like it’s the north …. But it is part of the Midlands, even their ITV channel is called ‘Central’.

Not much further for us than going to Wales either. Might be a fun trip :)

Realistically any event in order to work needs to be central to the most forum populated areas, Midlands is a long way for me from the North and attendance is not guaranteed due to work commitments. Also we are looking at about a max of 10 regular posters where as in the South it can be easily triple that

My thoughts would be to hold it where you are going to get the best chance of it working, see if it will be successful enough ( as fridge said, it wasn't taken up when tried before ) and then expand it out to a regional get together it it becomes popular

Don't get me wrong the idea is great but in reality a lot of people are all for thing's until crunch time then it calls apart, I'm sure we've all organised something with loads of enthusiasm from friends and then it never happened 

As I said the idea is great, I would love a wander around everybody's toys and chew the fat for a while but the test event needs to be where you have the greater chance of success and unfortunately that is well further South regards Stephen

2 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Don't get me wrong the idea is great but in reality a lot of people are all for thing's until crunch time then it calls apart, I'm sure we've all organised something with loads of enthusiasm from friends and then it never happened 

As I've been involved in some way or another with organising and running events for far too long now, you're bang on - the key is to pick somewhere reasonable & "easy enough" for everyone, book it a long time in advance for those who need plenty of notice, and don't over-complicate the arrangements or make the cost any more than it needs to be.

Honestly a half-decent campsite near a half-decent pub who are both happy enough with a big group of Landies turning up is as good a start as any - if it's somewhere in a ~100 mile circle drawn in the middle of the map that's as good as anything, being near-ish a main motorway will make more difference to people's travel arrangements than the precise location.

If the arrangements can be as minimal as "a group of us are going to camping at this site on this date, come and join us" that is great as it removes a huge amount of hassle, no need to book, etc. and folks can do what they want from there.

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If the arrangements can be as minimal as "a group of us are going to camping at this site on this date, come and join us" that is great as it removes a huge amount of hassle, no need to book, etc. and folks can do what they want from there.

Also avoids all the legal and insurance issues that come with formally organising a gathering.

As far as I'm aware all previous forum meets have been informal like this.

7 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Or in a slightly larger village with a great pub and even better cafe, Monyash just south of Bakewell.

A cafe is a great addition - can't beat a proper fry-up the morning after!

Also about 100x easier than trying to do a fry-up on a camping stove, and no washing up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Sounds good to me.

I'd try and put in an appearance if I could get away from work.

When are we thinking of?

My take is that pubs, cafe's and green laning (as much as I like all of those) are likely to fragment the group and distract people from the whole point of it being a social gathering, all of us in one place.

Very basic campsite in a good location with the ability to have a fire would be what I'd look for.

It's better if just a few turn up and have a good time, than 30 say they'll come and it never happens.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 11:26 AM, geoffbeaumont said:

I wonder what our geographical spread is? Ideally weighted by density

Being a nerd I had to look for answers to that...

The answer, of course, is that it's complicated - but the Ordnance Survey put the geographical centre of the UK not far from me in the Forest of Bowland (leaving NI out doesn't move it far - just to the east near Clitheroe):

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/newsroom/blog/where-is-the-centre-of-great-britain-2

The centre by population looks to be somewhere in Leicestershire. It was calculated as Appleby Parva at the turn of the century, but will be a bit further south east now:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071123015253/http://www.applebymagna.org.uk/population_centre.htm

That's an archived page of a local website that's no longer available and is quoting the Daily Mail - but it's reporting serious study. From page 33 of the PDF linked on this page, if you fancy some weightier reading:

https://www.dannydorling.org/?page_id=1449

So both Gaydon and Bakewell look pretty good as "fair" locations based on the idea of not to far from the centre with the right facilities. At least for our UK members - I'm assuming not many others will be tempted unless they happen to be in the UK already at the time. Maybe just one or two from mainland Europe?

Ok - we can bin the bank holiday. You’re right.  The other downside would be everywhere would be busier.

Just a random weekend towards the end of summer then - and we seem to be having good weather till deep into Autumn these days.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:15 PM, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Prob with being so far flung for me it’s a combo of spare time / fuel are near £2 litre / daft 5.2 v8 at 8-18 mpg

You can't spend all that time and money fitting a stupid V8 and then not bring it out for us to look at :P

@Anderzander avoiding bank holidays & school holidays is generally a good idea as people often have "bigger" plans for those.

• Haha 1

You might be better looking at 2023, most people plan ahead, so will have little spare time.

I would also suggest looking at time rather than distance as the central point - for example any meeting point that requires the M6 or the M25 to access, adds hours to a journey

One option I've just thought of... Our very own @NRS91 and family run a campsite with a rally field not far west of Macclesfield. Not wanting to speak for Nick, but the whole family are vehicle mad. Nick with the Land Rovers, Scammels & ERFs, His mum has all sorts of classics and his dad is into anything Bond (of the minicar variety).