Cracked block repair suggestions....

muddy

There's been more than one appearance of block stitching on Car SOS, they drill a line of holes and hammer in specially shaped inserts that tie it all together, then grind back & peen it, looked really smart and I assume it holds well enough.

• Like 4

I think stitching and brazing would be a good repair. Stitching to prevent flex and tie together, and braze to seal.

As long as the stitching doesn't smash the block any worse!

Ooooh Tractors ! I have got a couple of Majors, with leaky liners, so I feel your pain !

Stitching is quite expensive, unless you can get the guys at Car SOS to do it for nothing. IMO, I also think you would be better off finding a used cylinder block or engine, unless there is a compelling reason not to, and I can't think of one, or are you an originality freak ? But as I see that you have the incorrect grease nipples fitted for that year, I guess not !

• Like 1

No not particularly bothered about originality, only the block, fuel pump/timing cover and cam are original anyway.

I would consider another block howerer having just top hatted and completely rebuilt this one in the last 7 days to get it ready for the run id quite like not to tear it in bits too soon! I don't think id feel too confident in the stitching not just putting the side of the block through.

Ultimately I know the block is scrap however unless I trip over one for £50 that's good I'm loathed to throw more time/money into something that ultimately kind of works as it is... also the man who rebuilt the injectors has the 6 cylinder version of the engine looking for a new home....

• Like 1

A good friend of mine with an engineering and welding business, I wouldn't know too many people who could do a better job let's put it that way. It cracked whilst the tiger torch was still up the bores so not exactly cold :ph34r:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, muddy said:

A good friend of mine with an engineering and welding business, I wouldn't know too many people who could do a better job let's put it that way. It cracked whilst the tiger torch was still up the bores so not exactly cold :ph34r:

That's unfortunate, hope my diff case welding fair's better.......

Regards Stephen

1 hour ago, muddy said:

In the hubs? What year would you put it at?

In the drag link. What year ? I am not Dexta expert.com but the blue mudguards....... I will guess at 1962.

Main problem I see with block stitching, and to a lesser extent, welding, is that the block itself is structural to some degree, and that would worry me.

Six pot conversion is tempting though. I went down this road a bit, but that turned sour due to the engine being partially seized. I did not go further because of the costs, and also concluded that unless you are into tractor pulling competition, exceeding the design parameters in this way, only achieves using the fuel up quicker.

Might still do it though, although it would be a lot easier with the Dexta.

Keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace. I am always amazed what turns up there.

12 hours ago, muddy said:

also the man who rebuilt the injectors has the 6 cylinder version of the engine looking for a new home....

And there's the answer!

A ploughing match friend has a dexta with a Perkins P6 fitted. Lovely tractor, lovely conversion. Mind, he's also got a B414 IH with a P6 fitted, converted to 4 wheel drive and an LR series front axle fitted....and the draw bar is adjustable using worms form an old Massey trailed dung spreader. He's somewhat competetive

• Like 1

Lovely convoy!

I remember a good mate that is also into tractors (and got me to buy a Deutz D4005 a few years ago) had a similar problem with a crack in the block, I think on an Allis Chalmers. He got it fixed reliably by stitching and brazing it himself. He is a pretty good welder. I could ask for details, any excuse to talk about tractors will be welcomed I'm sure. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vulcan bomber said:

Preheat the block, then TIG braze with Silicone Bronze. Have a look on YouTube for John Mills/doubleboost he does a fair amount of it.

He is also on the mig welding forum if you want to ask him for advice - https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/members/doubleboost.22416/#latest-activity 

Edited by reb78
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, steve b said:

There's a lot of John Deere tractors in that pic! Is the £ the amount raised for the chosen charity?

Steve

Yes total amount on the day for Yorkshire air ambulance. Local dealer where I used to work is John Deere so they have a fairly big presence in the area as you can see!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, attempt two at brazing most definitely unsuccessful, holes were drilled and tapped, grub screws put in and peened over before starting. Not sure what's in the cast but it will not take to anything and loves to pop and bang just when you think you have a nice pool. You can actually watch the cracks growing as you are welding despite pre heat. The only thing I can say is after smashing the living bejesus out of it this morning with a hammer to the point where you can watch the cracks 'poof' dust out it seems the sidewall is stronger than I thought and id definitely have a go at cold stitching were I to end up in this position again. I dare say if you were able to put the bare block in an oven and get it properly warm you might stand half a chance however that's just not practiacal in this situation.

I guess I better start looking for a new block.

IMG_5987.thumb.jpeg.35576c1efc530808b61143b08f17efbe.jpeg

IMG_5988.thumb.jpeg.3a703eea89da068624ce036887bc1bba.jpeg

IMG_5989.thumb.jpeg.de94ef7f4ea3325503ed157cd921a20d.jpeg

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, muddy said:

Small update, attempt two at brazing most definitely unsuccessful, holes were drilled and tapped, grub screws put in and peened over before starting. Not sure what's in the cast but it will not take to anything and loves to pop and bang just when you think you have a nice pool. You can actually watch the cracks growing as you are welding despite pre heat. The only thing I can say is after smashing the living bejesus out of it this morning with a hammer to the point where you can watch the cracks 'poof' dust out it seems the sidewall is stronger than I thought and id definitely have a go at cold stitching were I to end up in this position again. I dare say if you were able to put the bare block in an oven and get it properly warm you might stand half a chance however that's just not practiacal in this situation.

I guess I better start looking for a new block.

IMG_5987.thumb.jpeg.35576c1efc530808b61143b08f17efbe.jpeg

IMG_5988.thumb.jpeg.3a703eea89da068624ce036887bc1bba.jpeg

IMG_5989.thumb.jpeg.de94ef7f4ea3325503ed157cd921a20d.jpeg

Not good news but loving the way to get the engine on its side!

And fair dues to you for reporting back the lack of success. I wonder was it repaired before?

Totally stupid suggestion: grind it flat and screw a 10mm plate to it? With a gasket and stop leak, it might work.