Bluetooth Ear Defenders

Anyone got any experience with any options for Bluetooth hearing protection? 

I’ve been looking at the Isotunes over-ear ones at the moment. Not the biggest fan of in ear headphone stuff as I find they fall out (normal foam earplugs are fine!).

Workshop I’m not so worried about as I’ve got the stereo in there, but the house means lots of work with the SDS/breaker or noisy cutting equipment. 

Bonus if anyone is around Faringdon-to-Abingdon areas and I can have a listen!

So not really what you're asking for but I've found a good set of noise cancelling headphones work better than my actual ear defenders. They have the added benefit that you can use them for other household things and not look too weird.

The downside is the price, the upside is the quality of the music.

Again, not quite what you asked for, but I used to use Shure in-ear headphones that used use roll-up foam cores like normal earplugs, really good sound isolation and they don't fall out. I've never looked for wireless ones though. Again music quality :D, price :(

i've looked at a few as i use a chainsaw or a log splitter all day and like to listen to planet rock
for the log splitter they were viable but for use with my chainsaw helmet it mean spending big money which i couldn't justify
what i used before was the std ear pieces but my phone was always full of saw chip and i kept damaging cords so i got bluetooth ear buds and they seem to work well-they do fall out now and again but are contained in the ear defender

• Like 1

I've got a set of the 3M Work Tunes ones (not radio but Bluetooth) and really like them. Use them every week normally for a couple of hours mowing the lawns on the tractor, use them with power tools, chainsaw etc.

Comfortable, decent sound quality and you can even receive phone calls etc., although people you're talking to can't hear you usually over the noise of the tractor running flat out.

Think I got them from the US via Amazon, weren't cheap but they've lasted very well considering the abuse.

Edit

They've come down in price a lot and are more readily available in the UK.

https://amzn.eu/d/2Ioys21

• Like 1

A couple of guys at work use them (comercial engineering workshop) One has the 3M pair, the other a chinese rebrand noise canceling and supposedly (chinese can be unreliable in there ratings) class 5 hearing protection $180 NZD both are bluetooth (neither of them can sing properly and its worse when we can't hear there music lol) got another who wears noise canceling airbuds 
They charge them at lunch for half n hour and they all run all day and they have been using them for months.... the dude with the buds his have been going for almost 2yrs 

I'm too cheap, we have a shop radio so thats good enough with class 4 earmuffs lol

I'm not 100% sure on the battery life but mowing the lawns usually take a a couple of hours and I'd say that it's over a month between recharges on my pair so comfortably will do an entire days work.

I bought some cheap in ear bluetooth headphones for about £15 off amazon over two years ago and the only thing I can fault is I broke the top off the case and grinding dust/swarf sometimes sticks to the magnets that hold them in the case and stop them charging. They have the little rubber bobbles on and seem to stay in very well. I know its not exactly what your looking for but for the price I really can't complain.

Forgot to say to you the other day, we have some noise active ones for shooting. They are Bluetooth aswell so maybe that’s an avenue to go down. You can still have a chat while wearing them and as soon as the noise goes up they cut it out. Can’t find the ones we have but if you type it in to Amazon you seem to avoid the H&S price tag

you Can also turn the mic up so you can hear what’s going on on the other side of the room😂

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:36 AM, ThreePointFive said:

So not really what you're asking for but I've found a good set of noise cancelling headphones work better than my actual ear defenders. They have the added benefit that you can use them for other household things and not look too weird.

The downside is the price, the upside is the quality of the music.

I don't think that's a good idea. I have a set of Sennheiser Momentum noise-cancelling over-ear headphones. I have to take them off when a helicopter flies low overhead (close to an airbase), or it'll give me a headache.

Noise cancelling works by sending opposite soundwaves out, so they cancel each other. So that's 2x the energy around your ears, although the sound waves should technically cancel out...

1 minute ago, elbekko said:

Noise cancelling works by sending opposite soundwaves out, so they cancel each other. So that's 2x the energy around your ears, although the sound waves should technically cancel out...

we recently had a health investigation at the work place (not sure how to name this) , the guy doing all the test, told me after the hearing test , that they see a lot of hearing loss on young mechanic's who use noice canceling headset/earphone's .

so i'm not to keen on using them (as i'm allready losing some hearing in the higher Hz range , "pretty normal for mechanics at my age " i was told ....)

36 minutes ago, hurbie said:

we recently had a health investigation at the work place (not sure how to name this) , the guy doing all the test, told me after the hearing test , that they see a lot of hearing loss on young mechanic's who use noice canceling headset/earphone's .

so i'm not to keen on using them (as i'm allready losing some hearing in the higher Hz range , "pretty normal for mechanics at my age " i was told ....)

That is a very interesting point that I had not considered. I knew how noise cancelling worked but diddnt put 2 and 2 together……

Ross maybe stop being a little bitch and just get earbuds and some decent ear defenders over the top😂

2 hours ago, hurbie said:

Did they check if these mechanics weren't listening to the Screamo or the Dubsteps at full blast while wearing these headphones?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I'd be surprised if the noise cancelling ones were dangerous, given they are used widely in shooting as Doug says. 

In itself, that's an incredible feat given the reaction times. 

Most, if not all, of the normal noise cancelling headphones aren't actually rated for hearing protection though.

So there's a huge difference between active type hearing protection, and noise cancelling headphones.

9 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

That is a very interesting point that I had not considered. I knew how noise cancelling worked but diddnt put 2 and 2 together……

Ross maybe stop being a little bitch and just get earbuds and some decent ear defenders over the top😂

I would but for some reason I've never found a pair that actually stay in my ears! 

In related news, I did try a mates pair of Isotunes over-ear ones at the weekend so I at least know they will (just!) go over my massive swede. They also sound quite good. 

@Ed Poore how big is your head? 

7 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I would but for some reason I've never found a pair that actually stay in my ears! 

In related news, I did try a mates pair of Isotunes over-ear ones at the weekend so I at least know they will (just!) go over my massive swede. They also sound quite good. 

@Ed Poore how big is your head? 

Plenty big enough...:ph34r:

There seems be a lot of adjustment still left on mine.

• Like 1