What recovery gear do people carry?

Just a topic to spark some conversation. 

What recovery do you carry? 

Personally I carry:

Tree linx

Cagelinx 

Strops

Recovery rope

2 snatch blocks 

Waffle boards

Soft shackles

Normal metal shackles 

A 8274 24v upgraded gears with extended drum 13mm rope (front)

A husky 24v air spooled extended drum 11m rope (rear) 

Ground anchor. 

Put the kinetic back in the garage has I refuse to trust 90% of people's recovery points! 

2 hours ago, Claytonv8 said:

Just a topic to spark some conversation. 

What recovery do you carry? 

Personally I carry:

Tree linx

Cagelinx 

Strops

Recovery rope

2 snatch blocks 

Waffle boards

Soft shackles

Normal metal shackles 

A 8274 24v upgraded gears with extended drum 13mm rope (front)

A husky 24v air spooled extended drum 11m rope (rear) 

Ground anchor. 

Put the kinetic back in the garage has I refuse to trust 90% of people's recovery points! 

I carry 2x snatch blocks, tree straps  selection of steel shackles, high lift jack, have waffles, tend not to carry them, balloon jack, works off exhaust , again not always carrying it and ground anchor

Rhino 13500lb winch on the front soon  to be warn 8274 on the rear 

Regards Stephen 

• Like 1

Mix of hard and soft shackles form 1.5 to 6.5 tonnes. One of my soft shackles is 10 tonnes SWL, but I don't trust soft shackles to that extent

1x conventional snatch block (Black Rat 20,000lb swl)

Kinetic Rope 1.5" from Yankum Ropes

Kinetic Rope from Goodwinch

Kinetic Strop ARB

Static Strop - 11m 8tonne SWL

2x 18tonne SWL shortening chains

Some endless loops from 1 tonne SWL to 5 tonnes SWL

CM35 12mm winch rope with spliced eye (105')

2x 10mm 100' extensions

set of Brothers 5tonne SWL

Winch Blanket

1x Land Rover Discovery hydraulic Jack 

1x 8 tonne hydraulic bottle jack and attachments

1x Toyota screw jack

Shovel

Goodwinch G10, Upgraded to re-machined drum supports, with roller bearings, Bow motor, and some other secret bits. Stall is almost double original

Comms, lights, head torches etc

First aid kit with some extras (and the knowledge on how to use it) comfort pack (toilet paper, chocolate, sanitary towels etc)

Some other bits and bobs like ratchet straps etc depending on the recovery job

• Like 3

Tow rope (24mm 3 strand),

Selection of shackles and strops 1-6ton and 2-5m,

1 endless strop 2m,

2 snatch blocks,

10m dyneema winch extension

Spade,

Winch blanket,

Gloves,

12ton bottle jack,

First aid kit, fire extinguisher, tyre repair kit and pump

Warn X9 in a vector system with 11mm dyneema,

I have 2 bridging ladders and a Hi lift but they stay in the workshop.

Mike

This may sound obvious, but a spare wheel is something not many people carry. 'I've got one on the trailer' is the usual comment, before they ask you to borrow yours.

• Like 1

ARB kinetic strap, tree strap, various sizes of shackles, nowadays a 12k winch and pulley, jack, spare, lots of tools.

On long trips in the Merc I transfer some stuff over. Usually a few  shackles, the kinetic strap, some tools. It has gotten a jack and a tyre repair kit as well (no spare, nor room for one).

4 hours ago, Claytonv8 said:

I'd rather gently pull with a kinetic than with a fixed strap, greatly reduces the shock load. Kinetic doesn't mean foot-to-the-floor-launch.

10 hours ago, miketomcat said:

First aid kit, fire extinguisher, tyre repair kit and pump

I was going to say this. If you're messing around with this sort of stuff, a first aid kit becomes essential. And they're meaningless without the training to use it. 

• Like 1

in justification of the long list, I do recovery at various events and competitions, as well as timber extraction from interesting places and 'recovery' for local farmers when 'The Popcorn Limiter Folk' decide to drive droves on the moor

I do have a hi-lift, it stays in the garage unless I am doing some training. I also carry 3x 1.5kg fire extinguishers (tested every year by the guy that does the Glastonbury Festival fire extinguishers). I have some waffles (used as shelving in the workshop).

I'm using the shortening chains more and more now, as decent recovery points are becoming less and less common, even on competition vehicles. On the Lands End Trial I warn the competitors via social media two weeks before the event, that if they don't have decent recovery points then I will be using a chain to create one, what ever the damage. Soft shackles just cant take tight radius or sharp edges; added to which the scrutineers are getting lazy....

I also carry stuff like a spider brace and a couple of decent pry bars, window breaker, seat belt cutter etc.

I also carry a brew kit, with plenty of hot water and some extra clothes, towels etc. No way I'm going to get soaked, that's the drivers job, but if it's cold, then I don't want him/her/they getting hypothermic (although I carry kit for that)

Every six months I get the kit laid out and work through what I've used and what I haven't. I also make notes on what I could have used (like the spider brace). I also like testing 'new' stuff on the market. I get sent a bit and I collect a bit. I've got a Safe-Xtract X lock coming soon. Looks to be an total waste of money, but the Muricans swear by them.

• Like 1

I thought it looked a bit like a climbing belay device and one of the proposed uses seems to be to belay a vehicle though I wonder how often people find they're in a position where that's necessary!

Found a video to demonstrate its use in reducing the line left on the winch drum. (X lock bit starts about 10 mins in)

I think I'd prefer to use a snatch block and get the mechanical advantage as well as reducing the line left on the winch.

Edited by Green Bob

35 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I'm still in the dark... it just seems to enable you to have a doubled up section at the hook end? It doesn't seem like you'd actually be able to have much extra line out. 

It's a shiny expensive thing. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm much of the Chocolate Fireguard opinion. I test stuff with a knowledgeable friend (Angus Norrish, for those in the know)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Green Bob said:

I thought it looked a bit like a climbing belay device and one of the proposed uses seems to be to belay a vehicle though I wonder how often people find they're in a position where that's necessary!

Found a video to demonstrate its use in reducing the line left on the winch drum. (X lock bit starts about 10 mins in)

I think I'd prefer to use a snatch block and get the mechanical advantage as well as reducing the line left on the winch.

Why not simply use the winch to wind in the surplus cable, or alternatively either move the vehicle further back, or use a pulley block. I also thought it looked like a climbing belay, but couldn't understand why....

44 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Why not simply use the winch to wind in the surplus cable,

I can understand wanting to get the winch pulling from further in to maximise the pulling power but that's exactly the scenario where you'd use a snatch block to do the same thing.
I can't imagine a circumstance where you'd want to be using the most of the winch's power but you wouldn't want to be pulling 2:1. If, for example, you think the anchor might not cope with 'double the force', you're not going to get the vehicle out if it needs that anyway!

I think its appeal is how shiny it is and the video is someone trying to justify why they've spent money on a new fad. It seems to have multiple uses but they all look to require using it in conjunction with kit that you'd already use for those situations anyway.

I'd be interested in your thoughts after using it for a bit, especially how well it does at holding doors open or papers down...

Edited by Green Bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm happy to lend it out once we've finished playing. Although Angus might break it, he's good at that.

I honestly can't get my head around the need, although Bob's suggestion of a paperweight is a good idea. I could polish it up some more