chainsaws

Dark green 90

looking into getting myself a small chainsaw (small trees and branches)

stihl ms180 or 210 are around my £200 budget

any other suggestions welcome..

what do you carry?

Protective equipment!! :ph34r:

Not familiar with either model you quote but in general you can't go far wrong with a Stihl.

Oh, and by the way, did I mention protective equipment? :ph34r:

AndyG

Id go for the MS210 as it has a slightly bigger engine.

Dont be tempted by the cheeper makes of Chainsaw, as you will struggle to get spares. I know I can drive to the local stockest down the road and get any spares for my Stihl or Husqvarna. Mostly straight off the shelf.

Budget anther £100 to £150 for your protective clothing.

Depending what im doing I carry an MS250 with 16" Guide Bar, a Husqvarna 136, 5 ltrs of fuel, 5 ltrs chain oil, spare chains, tools, bow saw, pruning saw. Class 1 protective legging, boots, gloves, helmet with visor & ear defenders.

I carry this as I help look after 16 acers of woodland.

I would highly recommend Husquevarna. There are a number of models that should be within your range (although everything seems to be cheaper over here) I have a Husky 350 and it's a great saw. Al the 3 series will do very well. Lightweight, easy to service, and it easily handles an 18" bar. The pressure releif valve means easy starts. Husky's really are the best saw (my opinion of course) and worth looking at in comparison to whatever Stihl you're considering.

oh - and mine came with a free set of protective trousers......

Stihl is what the pros use, no Q.

Best kit availalble .............but the price is terrifying. :blink:

If you can't justify or stretch to a Stihl, then next best is a Husqvarna which is the one I use,

nice piece of kit, 1/2 to 1/3 the price of stihl (but not as good) light and yes use safety equipment, or at the absolute least HD Gloves, and keep a eye on how many times you "Tighten" (read stretch) the chain :unsure:

Nige

Det cord is more fun...erm apparently..

I used to use Stihl for keeping (almost bulletproof)

petal carries a husky all the time and a tramontina

the Fins laugh at huskys (giving me chainsaw envy) and wont leave home without at least one stihl in the car, they all have tramontinas now which has made them slightly less destructive

huskys for light use are ok but nowhere near as well built or torquey as a Stihl IMHO

i'd suggest stihl every time, huskys are nice but a touch more delicate as previously stated - i know at least one agricultural college has gone over to stihl cos they stand up to hamfisted students better.

as for bar i couldn't go longer than 16inch - i've felled 3ft diameter oaks with one and the saw has a much better balance is lighter and so easier. in this country you're unlikely to need much more 90% of the time

oh and to echo previous posts proper protective gear and some training - very easy to make a big mess!

I have no knowledge of chainsaws myself so can't help with the actual topic, but I have a relevant tale..

Buy and use protective equipment - Sorry if you are just eating... A friend was wearing gloves, helmet and boots and (you probably guessed it) put the saw through his knee-cap! :o and then had to drive to get help. He didn't bother to put his trousers on because he was only trimming a few branches...

Rog

buy the trousers and some decent gloves and always wear them, Husquavana sometimes through in a decent helmet with ear defenders and a visor, all three a must have.

Mole Valley Farmers Husquavana 136/7 - £140 that 12" bar and a 350 is £350 (or similar) 18" bar, bigger engine but same tooth size chain. i use both a 136 and 350.

Huskeys are used by the pros, but quite often its foresters who just fell day in day out and look after their kit meticulosly. Stihl is used by most tree surgeons as they stand up to neglect much better. My next statement will probably go against the grain but, I don't care who it is or their experiance if they haven't had basic training and have the minimum c/saw gloves, wellies, ideally boots, trousers and helmet all with the current CE Shield logo on then you shouldn't be using a chainsaw!!! A set of PPE will cost you as much if not more than a good basic sthil chain saw!!

Stihl or Husqvarna, there is very little to choose between them, we use both. Bit like a Merc and a Volvo verses a Lada and a Skoda.

Thing is, buy the best you can with what you can afford but be warned, the cheaper Stihls and Huskies are not that well built unlike their big brothers, they have been made for cheapness and it shows.

Make sure you use the correct two stroke and guide bar oil. When you sharpen always use a file guide unless you have plenty experience.

If you are cutting a hedgrow tree you can almost guarantee it has been used as a fence post by the farmer so try and leave the first 1mtr/1.5mtr and avoid the nails/barb wire.

Kick back, compression wood, tension wood, hung up branches, theres lots to consider

PPE = Boots (wellies are cheaper), trousers with all round protection (not just front), gloves and helmet are all mandatory, jacket is optional.

Two farmers over our way were cutting a wind blown tree, the one with the saw had PPE the other did not, 'the other' now has a face full of stiches.

i use a 023 Stihl. Its the biggest of the non-professional saws Stihl make (plastic boby not steel!) but I have given it a lot of use (and abuse) over the past 6 years of hedgelaying, tree felling and keeping a hungry woodburner going. Been through 1 sprocket, 2 guide bars and about 8 chains. I had a few blokes in this year to lay 500 yards of hedge and they both used 023's too. Nice and light, reliable and pretty robust to boot. Unless you are using a saw day in day out then I reckon the 023 is going to me more than adequate for your needs. BUT, and its a big BUT. Get some training and please please use the proper PPE as mentioned above.....

Remember you can't use a chainsaw anywhere other than on your own private property without a proper licence.

For small jobs, such as tree surgery, I use Stihl. I also have two Husqvarna 266XP chainsaws, and an old Stihl 060 for larger stuff. A small stihl saw is very good, and they seem to be very tough. Husqvarva are also a professional saw, but I have never used any of the smaller ones.

Some saws can use a variety of guide bar sizes, and this can be very important - if you suddenly find that the saw you have is not up to a job - replacing just the guide bar and chain is a lot cheaper than having to buy a bigger saw. My Huskys can take a guide bar from 15" up to 22", so although the 67cc power unit can be unbalanced with a bigger guide bar on - it still saves on having to buy or carry a bigger saw all the time.

For non-professional and occasional use, I would say a small Stihl is a good buy, parts are available from garden centres etc.

Les. :)

To echo others,

Buy the best rear handle saw you can afford (IMO Stihl) 16" bar fine for just about everything

Get trained

Get full protection..........only when the correct method of doing a job is known can short cuts be taken, even then the pro's (inc one guy i was working with) get it very wrong.

Don't look over the bar when cutting, your neck wont be covered by any gear and that jugular vein is just too tempting for a saw on kickback!!

To carry;

Saw

PPE

Maintenance kit - inc spare chain, save time by sharpening when back in workshop

- spare spark plug

- files etc...

Fuel and oil

.....Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
being new to this forum hope don't upset you

use a two man saw its about 4 feet long very quick and safe removes most trees with less than 18" dia

No real need for the gear no need to carry petrol/oil always works takes little space

18v Cordless.............No petrol or oil :lol: ...........Got it of "The Bay of E" for £12! Just brought it for laugh!!

post-604-1172275504_thumb.jpg

A mate in the tree game only uses Stihl, Huskys are great for forestry work.

He cringes when he sees users without PPE, get the trousers, they arent cheap, but they are cheaper than new legs.

We usually take one with a 16 or 20" bar.

being new to this forum hope don't upset you

use a two man saw its about 4 feet long very quick and safe removes most trees with less than 18" dia

No real need for the gear no need to carry petrol/oil always works takes little space

Stihl havent got a chainsaw yet, but was out today on a bimble and ended up at the back of wantage, cut a few small trees out the way with my small bowsaw

but then came across two larger blocking the lane,no puff left so turned round,anyone in the area with a chainsaw?

It's been said before and I make no apologies for saying it again. Before you even think of buying a saw you need to do two things:

1. Buy the best protective gear you can afford.

2. Get trained.

Armed with those two things you will stand a better chance of keeping your body parts and your life (and perhaps those of others) intact.

Stihl havent got a chainsaw yet, but was out today on a bimble and ended up at the back of wantage, cut a few small trees out the way with my small bowsaw

but then came across two larger blocking the lane,no puff left so turned round,anyone in the area with a chainsaw?

Which lanes were those?

I'll have a bimble up this week and have a go.