Disc Handbrake???

Wattle

Hi there

I purchased one of the disk replacement hand-brake systems off Simon about 2 weeks ago.

I haven't got it installed yet due to illness.

BUT, I have to say the device looks extremely well developed IMHO and Simon's service was second to nun.

I have to say that I have seen quite a lot of talk about this particular device on 2 other forums that I frequent. Everybody has commented on what a great idea it is and that Si's unit looks very well made.

A couple of people commented on the price but I really fail to see how the average guy with limited resources could come up with a set up like Simon's complete unit for much less money. Not worth the trouble IMHO.

Extremely professional and very quick delivery times.

I would not hesitate to Recommend Si's Company. I really wish him all the luck in the world with his new venture.

I sure will be purchasing the other up and coming kit he is due to release soon.

Kind Regards, gary B)

Phil,

yep i have one an have just fitted it - yesterday in fact.

as the wagon gets used alot for off roading the drum was constantly filling with mud and woul dnever work after and event, so i used to have to take it apart, every time without fai, and clean it. when it did work performance was never great either. hence the reason to go for a disc conversion.

i had the older style drum setup (pre-300tdi) and it seemed to suffer more with mud filling than any of the other 5 LR i have owned over the years. despite being same spec as some of them. i haven't experienced the same problem with the 300/td5 style on- this one is easier to adjust as well.

So its fitted and went for a spin, all works as it should and very pleased with it, the misses can drive knowing it works (it hasnt for the last 12mths) (MOT also Due) you can hear the disc and pads just touching as you drive although this will go as wears the micron (!) or so of extra material down,and you have to listen for it as well. no different to pads rubbing the discs on axle brakes, its just nearer to you and under the seat box so you can hear it.

i believe Simon also produces a guard for them as well now to protect the disc.

Having an underdrive fitted meant some extra work for cable clearence etc (more to follow) same would hold true for a Overdrive. i believe Simon is going to produce a kit to overcome this.

in comparison to LR std handbrake although i am yet to test it o steep incline with a loaded trailer it does stall a tdi in low first with revs if you try to pull away with it on. i have never driven had a rover do that before (including all the work ones i have driven)

excellent qaulity parts and good service.

overall very please to date, will see how muck affects it next weekend and will keep you posted.

fitted mine over 6 months ago...... ina word BRILLIANT.... well worth the money.

it took me an hour to fit it.... and if i can do it in an hour.... everyone else should be able to do it in half.

took mine through as much water and mud as possible and it just keeps on working.... where as my drum just wouldn't.

buy one. :)

Thanks for all the positive chaps! It's a very nice feeling!

Big thanks to Mr Hobbit for the write-up in total off road - I was bowled over by it! My misses almost cried (don't know if this was joy or the fact that I'll be living in my workshop from now on ;-)

Sodbury was fab - I really enjoyed talking to everyone (even you lot!) and we had a pretty good day sales wise too. More importantly however, I think it has raised our physical profile a bit.

If you are a forum member - I'll give you a decent deal - bung in a cable or shaft tool perhaps. Without the forum - it wouldn't have happened!

Si (Being Mr Smiley this evening!)

Simon,

Please finish up development on the Series version!!!! Looking forward to it.

Simon

My vehicle is a 1985 V8 110, which is fitted with the LT95 gearbox. Will you be making a kit in the future to fit this gearbox. It sounds just what I am after.

Phil

Simon,

Please finish up development on the Series version!!!! Looking forward to it.

It's under way! I'm expecting delivery (from the US) of a caliper which might do the trick any day now. The difficulty with a series box is that there is a ring of bolts which hold the handbrake drum in place and increase the diameter in the middle which the pads need to avoid by 40 mm. The existing caliper would work, but you would loose 20mm worth of pad at the outside - not ideal.

The new one is supposed to be slimmer, with about the same gripping force. We'll see!

Phil,

I'm not sure about LT95 gearboxes. They are the ones where the gearbox and transfer box are all one unit and they have a very small diameter drum IIRC?

I tried ordering a back plate for one of these to see if the bolt spacing was the same - but they are no longer available! Most people (grown ups) that I've spoken too have said that you can fit a later drum to an LT95 but you have to fit a later (cable type) handbrake lever and (obviosly) a cable. I would assume that the bolt holes are the same - but I could not guarantee it! If they are the same as a Borg Warner or LT230 transfer box then it will fit - otherwise it may be necessary to drill some new holes in the back plate.

Next time you take it apart, take the back plate off and photocopy/scan the back of it. If you let me have a look at the picture (fax/email) - I can tell you if it will fit (and I'll give you a decent discount for your trouble!)

Alternatively, if someone would like to flog me the back plate - I'd go for that!

Si

Just out of interest how much "grip" has the disc brake got compared to a conventional drum (assuming the drum isn't bunged up with sh&&&), does it have more or less? Just thinking of conventional brakes where discs are usually much more powerful than drums, although that may be down to the level of brake assistance on modern vehicles.

Older (1980s vintage) vehicles here always had handbrake problems (usually expanders seizing up) but apart from the cables wearing out and sticking, the newer drum handbrakes on 300Tdi onwards seem to be OK. But we don't have deep silty wet holes which fill up the drum with muck and wear the shoes out, any holes that deep here are only fit for bog-snorkelling and this is best not attempted in a LR :ph34r:

Just out of interest how much "grip" has the disc brake got compared to a conventional drum (assuming the drum isn't bunged up with sh&&&), does it have more or less? Just thinking of conventional brakes where discs are usually much more powerful than drums, although that may be down to the level of brake assistance on modern vehicles.

Older (1980s vintage) vehicles here always had handbrake problems (usually expanders seizing up) but apart from the cables wearing out and sticking, the newer drum handbrakes on 300Tdi onwards seem to be OK. But we don't have deep silty wet holes which fill up the drum with muck and wear the shoes out, any holes that deep here are only fit for bog-snorkelling and this is best not attempted in a LR :ph34r:

Well, I've found the disk hand brake hold the vehicle better than the drum ever did, even when propperly cleaned out with new pads. I'm seriously chuffed!

Not sure about the holding capacity of the standard drum in good order - but it is only required to hold the vehicle on a shallow slope (20 degrees rings a bell IIRC). The X-Brake is capable of holding about 7 ton on a 45 degree slope, but that's right at the top end of it's capability. For an average LR, even with a trailer, you will not find a slope where your tyres will not loose traction before the handbrake slips! I'd still reccomend you leave it in gear / park just in case something else fails.

Si

Mike Jackson (from ORRP) seems to think it holds much better than the drum brake...

Update on the performance of the new brake.

On the way to Newbury the hand brake happily held the 90 and the ifor williams trailer on a slope with no creep.

Even more impressive whilst winching out a stuck Bobtail today. I pulled the handbrake on and placed the Choktrax in front of the wheels before I started. After winching it out with the winch threatening to stall (so almost 5 tonne load) I looked at the choktrax and the 90 hadn't pulled forward onto them. For the first time ever the 90 held on the handbrake whilst winching.

Mike

From here