Forum Map / Relays / Location Info???

Astro_Al

Hi folks. Here I am again, surely this expression of dissatisfaction with the facilities will see me booted...? I can only keep trying! :P

This one comes up quite often, so I figure it at least needs a conversation.

There are quite a few posts about forum relays for getting parts / ebay items etc distributed from seller to buyer without paying postage. Often sellers state 'pickup only' - on ebay and such, which restricts what you can bid on.

There are also quite a few times when it'd be useful to know who is where. Just yesterday I was racking my brains for someone in Sheffield to pick something up for me. (Landymanluke was the 'lucky' victim of a random PM... :ph34r: ).

Someone recently suggested some type of map which I think was an excellent idea. Perhaps we could have a map of people who are willing to take part in forum relays. If you are in the group of willing participants, you have the right to ask others in the group to help you out. I'd be willing to help others if I could and I'd appreciate the reverse.

So, I throw the topic open for discussion. Is there some way to 'formalise' the forum relay idea, create a map (either of general members or of relay participants), or do something else that I haven't thought of?

Cheers, Al.

:)

I'm not volunteering for anything :ph34r:, but, I noticed that Hampshire & Berkshire 4x4 Response use an online map thingy for showing where there members are - frappr - I'm assuming that a LR4x4 account would have to be set up, then those who are happy to lug things around can register. I think you could probably add a little bit of info about routes you travel regular-like.

Thanks for the inputs.

I think that people would have to do it on the understanding that it is at their own risk, and they'd have to wait until it was convenient for others in the chain to 'do their bit'.

I'm not sure if this is a can of worms or a great idea. I'd certainly be willing to help people out where I could.

Al.

P.S. thanks Fridge - when do you return?

Brilliant idea IMHO. This way we can see at a glance where our nearest member is, and arrange relays according to where the item needs to be moved from.

Would also be useful for those that wanted to arrange a local green lane meet up, or even a monthly pub meet somewhere (can you imagine a convoy of landrovers pulling into a pub car park on a summer afternoon :) )

get's my vote

I don't want anyone to know where I live - they'll only be after my millions. :rtfm:

Les.

You are too easy to find...

Stop anywhere in the south of England... "Excuse me sir, I'm trying to find Sir Les of Hensonshire"

They'll give you address and directions to the door.. You are just way too famous !

I'm happy to sign up for forum relays.... Quite a few visits to Hensonshire these days and willing to move smaller / cleaner stuff around in the other car if It's near where I'm going to....

And like others say, helps to plan a bit of trip out if you can see people local.... (I see you Mo..........)

Neil

FWIW, with my 'other forum' hat on, we use Frappr on LRBoards - page here

You can be as (un)specific as you like, in fact you can be where ever you want!!

It's very easy to integrate into a page - took me about 10 minutes, most of which was pulling the suitable files out of phpBB - the observant among us will notice i never finished the alterations 100%!

Luke

Al, I think its a good idea. Give a rough address (eg town or first 4 digits of your post code) and then you can trade PM's if you want something relaying. I'm regularly up and down the A34 and and happy to help if anyone needs something moving in that direction.

Come to think of it - I know LOADS of forum members names, addressess, phone numbers. Is there any money in passing on this information?

Les. :P

Les,

I reckon it would be worth an arm and a leg, in fact, probably two arms and two legs,............ yours...... get the drift... :rtfm::banned::rofl:

Good God. :o

And there I was, worried the Mod Possie were going to come a-knocking and bludgeon me with White90's sack of treasure!

You can't imagine my relief!

Well, ok, thats good news. What was the general feeling in the A&M forum? Pro, or not so pro?

Since it'd have to be an opt-in system, its hard to see why anyone would be strongly against it. But i know logic doesn't always prevail in these matters... :P

Al.

:)