What Top Tips Do You Have?

istruggle2gate11

Hi all,

Took the starter motor off yesterday for a clean and lube up, whilst I was doing this, I thought I would just post a little modification that I do, perhaps people have many more that could help?

1) Starter Motor Solenoid - I place a coupling nut (a nut approx 30mm long) onto the M8 solenoid connection, this then allows you to place a short bolt as the clamp for the main power wire. The advantages are (a) It saves stripping the copper thread when struggling with hands folded 180° as the coupling nut uses more thread than just the nut ( It saves cracking the solenoid housing from stressing the stud © it seems easier to me!

2) When working on my series motors, I drill and tap the drum brake with 3 x m8 holes which allows me to push (jack) off the drum in the future (I know it has a hole already, but its a course UNC thread, and its usually much easier to find a few M8's lying around). The advantage is it saves a lot of noise and hammering later!

Anybody have any more?

2) When working on my series motors, I drill and tap the drum brake with 3 x m8 holes which allows me to push (jack) off the drum in the future (I know it has a hole already, but its a course UNC thread, and its usually much easier to find a few M8's lying around). The advantage is it saves a lot of noise and hammering later!

Anybody have any more?

I've got one!!

Slacken off the brake shoe adjuster and the drum slides off without the need for pullers or hammers!! ;)

Be careful not to drop it on your toes though - ouch!! :o

Orange

I've got one!!

Slacken off the brake shoe adjuster and the drum slides off without the need for pullers or hammers!! ;)

Be careful not to drop it on your toes though - ouch!! :o

Orange

Well, if that's the case, you're very lucky. Go buy yourself a Lotto ticket! :blink::lol:

Wait for freshly welded metal to cool before picking it up

Same goes for hot jump leads. These blisters are itching like you wouldn't believe!

Top Tip2. (learnt the hard way a few years ago)

never ever ever let go of a High Lift Jack handle when its in the down postion. Trust me you don't want to make that mistake!

Will :)

never trust a hobbit especially the devon variety when they say " So and So has already driven this maxi trial" :)

yep with front and rear lockers and coils, power steering and 2 " lift

go p155ed off keeping on going PSST every time i had to engage the lockers on the series :)

Place a table behind your front door. Then you won't have to bend down to pick up your mail!

I have two starter motors. One on the vehicle and the other normally lives in a bucket full of oil. When one dies - simply swap them over. You can keep swapping them over like this for quite a long time before both are knackered. A year or so in oil seems to do wonders for bunged up solenoids.

Si

When jump starting another motor, put the negative lead on a metal component on the engine (eg lifting eye) of the vehicle you're starting.

That way if the battery is faulty or completely dead the vehicle will still start.

If it doesn't start immediately wiggle the negative clip to give a good contact and wait a few minutes before re-trying.

• Use a plant sprayer with a lance, full of EP90 to do the oils, much easier than scrabbling round underneath
  • Fit a voltmeter - battery lights lie, especially when the alt is full of mud
  • Vauxhalls colour the -ve battery lead white and the +ve lead black. Do not try to connect the black jumplead to the black wire.
  • When building a 4m long wiring loom, put the heatshrink on before soldering a plug on the end
  • Never, ever, get in a vehicle piloted by Guy Shepherd
  • It IS quicker to fit MSEFI than diagnose Lucas EFI
  • Peugeot 106's can be broken into using a length of RedCare jumper wire and a cable tie (discovered this last night when the ex locked her keys in :lol: )
  • There's nothing more dangerous than someone trying to prove they know what they're doing
  • The time from now until the completion of the project tends to become constant.
  • The second you put your feet up, the boss will walk in.
  • Never, ever reveal to your wife/GF/significant other what your credit limit is.
  • Million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10

Put a mark on your water temperature gauge.That way you see the needle move straight away from normal.

But if it's a LR Defender gauge you are wasting your time. They read in the centre from 40c to about 105c. By the time it's moved your engine is toast. If you have a decent gauge ie VDO, then the gauge moves too much to make sense of lines. Better fit the coolant level alarm (like a bog ball valve fitted into the header tank) which goes off as soon as the level drops. Mine is also wired into the alternator light in case the fan belt drops off and into the oil light in case the oil pressure drops off. Oh, and into the EGT at 730c. So when the buzzer goes off, it can be any one of four reasons, but it isn't hard to figure out which one.

Vauxhalls colour the -ve battery lead white and the +ve lead black. Do not try to connect the black jumplead to the black wire.

I know this NOW!!! bit odd in the dark when jump starting the wife's Corsa from the Disco!! Flames there was! Image the humility! :unsure:

Now flogged the Corsa (with brand new Alternator) and bought her the Defender! Could have been worse I suppose! :lol:

Always wash your hands carefully before going for a pee when you have been cutting up chillies.

Lol, i know what that feels like, when i was a chef in my previous life i did just that, the other chefs were wondering why i was crying over the stove !

use the see through bit of a cassette tape box as an ice scraper.

On a similar note to above about not picking up hot metal, one of those absent minded days I was heating up a big nut on an old Ford tractor with the gas, put the ring end of the spanner on it and got the nut moving, then....take the spanner off the nut, go and put the open end on it of course grabbing the ring end....shout all the names under the sun which results in the service manager coming poleing out of his office for the first time in 20 years.

Dont think make the mistake of thinking that when you cross member /bumber STARTS to rust, that it is covered by the corrosion waranty.

According to a local stealer, you must have a truck FULL OF HOLES in order to quailify!!!

So resist the urge to do something about it now.....leave it to rust out and LR will fix it for you!! :huh::huh:

1) Ever want to know the exact geometrical centre of your vehicle - simply wait until it is dark, cold, raining and your vehicle has broken down - then drop any tool you happen to have handy somewhere near the vehicle. It will instantly roll to the exact centre. This works especially well if you are wearing a suit, it is muddy and you drop the one tool that you really need to make the vehicle move.

2) Don't lick frozen lamp posts.