and another illegal car on ebay...

stobbie

Pre SVA I built or helped build several road vehicles, and you could pretty much do as you pleased. Only had to pass the MOT and an engineers report for the insurance company. I never needed the engineers report as they accepted my employment at the time to be sufficient.

I helped build a Jago Jeep kit

I built a marlin roadster from a kit

Helped build a Ginetta G4 (never again)

I built the chassis for an RTV special using Lada Niva running gear under a Jago Samurai body. (Anyone know where it is now? DVLA said it was taxed last time I checked)

Helped build a couple of Duttons.

In those days if you got it MOT'd and Taxed and drove it for a while on the old reg no it was easy to keep the number. Otherwise you got a Q

So, OT, this business with the insurance cover reverting to TPO; if I were to buy a really big motorbike - say a Hayabusa - and insure it as a moped costing me about £20/year I should think, and I then pranged the 'busa into someone's shiny car, are you suggesting that the insurance would pay out the TP losses? I cannot see it, they will just say I was not insured as I had declared the vehicle wrongly. Apart from anything else the owe that to their shareholders!

Or have I missed that part of the RTA?

Chris

So, OT, this business with the insurance cover reverting to TPO; if I were to buy a really big motorbike - say a Hayabusa - and insure it as a moped costing me about £20/year I should think, and I then pranged the 'busa into someone's shiny car, are you suggesting that the insurance would pay out the TP losses? I cannot see it, they will just say I was not insured as I had declared the vehicle wrongly. Apart from anything else the owe that to their shareholders!

Chris

It's complicated, and I've put something on here before about it but cannot lay hands on it at the moment. When a policy is taken out it remains in force until it expires or is validly set aside. The example in my text book is regarding a disqualified driver failing to declare his/her disqualification. Although it is a false declaration (covered by separate part of the Act (RTA s174(5)) it remains in force until the insurance company sets aside the policy (this only invalidates the insurance in the future). I think the plain-English version is that the policy remains valid (at least for third party risks) until the insurance company finds out you've been a naughty boy/girl*

* delete as appropriate

This also applies to restrictions put on you by the insurance company e.g. age restrictions, times of use, modifications to the horse power, etc.

Regardless of declaring mods, if the car does need an SVA then the insurance company would void the cover

Are you sure? Any examples of this happening, I've googled and can't find one example from the thousands of 'illegal' bobs, hybrids and kit cars. I know one person who had no problem claiming on a bobbed Range Rover, no SVA.

It's complicated, and I've put something on here before about it but cannot lay hands on it at the moment. When a policy is taken out it remains in force until it expires or is validly set aside. The example in my text book is regarding a disqualified driver failing to declare his/her disqualification. Although it is a false declaration (covered by separate part of the Act (RTA s174(5)) it remains in force until the insurance company sets aside the policy (this only invalidates the insurance in the future). I think the plain-English version is that the policy remains valid (at least for third party risks) until the insurance company finds out you've been a naughty boy/girl*

* delete as appropriate

This also applies to restrictions put on you by the insurance company e.g. age restrictions, times of use, modifications to the horse power, etc.

Once the insurance company has accepted your money in payment for a policy you are insured untill they notify you otherwise.

I paid for insurance but forgot to state the start date (oversight not intentionally) many months later the insurance company called me and told me that they could not continue the policy without the start date and returned the whole payment. I was concerned that I had been driving the car for the whole time however the salesman told me that as they had taken the payment I was insured the whole time but they could not keep the money so I had recieved freee insurance. :P

If you read this before then sorry for repeating.

Marc.

Well obviously all my years working within the insurance industry arranging policy's and then going on to assessing claims on motor vehicles were obviously wasted, and according to you are incorrect!!!.

At the end of the day if an insurance company accept a declaration of modifications on a vehicle the insurance WILL be valid.

Thanks for that, nice to have real world knowledge.

Chris

Even if they do pay out it still amounts to fraud which is a criminal offence in it self. The insurance company may decide to pay out then prosecute you for full costs, (including all there legal fees) afterward. Whether they decide to do this would depend on the amount of the pay out, there assment of whether they could win and of cause if you had any money to pay if they did win. If you live in a rented house, have no savings, no job and no other assets they probable wouldn't both as they would never even get there legal costs back.

KNOWINGLY makeing a false declaration would amount to a criminal offence, if they decided the modification was minor and you may not have actually known it was a modification (are the alloy wheels standard for that model or not?) they are likely to be easy on you, if it is more obvious particularly if they consider it contributed to the accident they are likely to be less understanding.

Also in some (not neccisarily the vehicle which started this thread) cases where the vehicle is not what it says then they can declare that you were not driving the vehicle they insured. In the example above the insurance company have insured a moped, if you were driving a Hayabusa they haven't covered that even if it has the number plate from moped stuck on so you have no insurance and they can refuse any pay out. This would particularly apply to vehicles which are so highly modified that little of the origional exists or blatantly on false numbers plates and registration (tax exempt series 2 with 90 chassis, axles, engine, body work and gearbox!).

Well obviously all my years working within the insurance industry arranging policy's and then going on to assessing claims on motor vehicles were obviously wasted, and according to you are incorrect!!!.

At the end of the day if an insurance company accept a declaration of modifications on a vehicle the insurance WILL be valid.

I'm sorry but its simply not true - insurance companies can and do cancel policies and refuse to pay out because of things wrongly declared, mods that are not declared correctly, or for somthing like a vehicle that should have an SVA and doesnt - its a fact and ive seen it happen.

When did the SVA reg's come in to existence?

1998 But, originally, if you kept the original chassis frame and enough other original chassis components to get your 'points' score, a vehicle did not need to be SVA'd. The DVLA quietly snuck in the 'original and unmodified' condition at a later date (around 2000 IIRC). So, if you can prove that the mods were done before that condition was introduced you should be ok

You can avoid SVA if you can prove the vehicle was in existence in its modified state before SVA was introduced, but you won't be able to avoid getting a Q-plate if the vehicle has been modified beyond what is permitted in the rules. There are loads of cars running around that should be on Q-plates according to the regulations, but they haven't been found out yet.

With a DIY (non-kit conversion) body change on a separate body/chassis car (Land Rover, obviously) that alters its appearance significantly('significantly' being open to interpretation) they have on occasion been insisting that the vehicle goes for an SVA test, even though that particular scenario isn't specified in the regulations.

• 1 month later...
I reckon there would be less spuriosly registered vehicles about if the DVLA made it a bit easier to be legal in the first place.

Yes, by relaxing all rules we could all be legal. I have always felt that if less stuff was illegal then the police would be much less stressed and could implement laws much better and more efficiemtly. Why not start by legalising anything beginning with the first three letters of the alphabet? Arson, Buggery, Burglary, Car theft, Crack dealing etc... Yes, I can see now how that would help. :rolleyes:

Chris

I reckon there would be less spuriosly registered vehicles about if the DVLA made it a bit easier to be legal in the first place.

Yes, they do make the process unnecessarily difficult to comply with all the rules when it really shouldn't be difficult to register a modified vehicle.

They are happy enough to accept a home made chassis but can't accept shortening or changing a rear crossmember without a lot of hassle.