Workshops

smo

Since moving to devon ive been struggling with 2 stables, one for tools and one for the car. Today i found a new workshop on a farm but the farmer said "make me an offer" to rent it.....i have no idea where to start, so what do you guys have space and facilities wise, and what does it cost you?

I rent them on a local farm, there is no room to modify the layout as the wall between them is structural and rather decrepid, even without it the space isnt ideal, no chance of convinging the farmer to change anything either as the whole farm is subject to a probate battle whilst they sort who is going to own it!

The new place is about 1.5x wider and length of more than double the stables. (so more like the 2 together end on end with extra width)

45ftx18ft, old grain shed converted for a workshop, 3 phase lecy, £10 a week when he can be bothered to charge me, but i do do a lot of maintainance on his kit for him for bu**er all, works both ways,

BOW..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ as above

a mate of mine gets free space plus everything included for work on his stuff for free swings and roundabouts

mike i know its abit of a trek just to work on your vehical but i was quoted middlewich area 100quid a month for a decent sized barn on a farm everything included, worth just rolling onto any farm and asking which is all i did

dave

:( That will be the front drive then. About the size of 2 cars. Cost is through the roof due to the fact that i often have to pay to have things done that i can do myself but not while the house is on the market as it is not a good look.

Dave if you have any details that would be great, I'm sure I know someone who'd be after space for a Discovery and some series bodywork :lol: My dad has visited pretty much every farm in a 10 mile radius of Davenham! Distance not a problem as I have to commute from Liverpool to Lostock anyway!

Smo - what are the details?

Leccy? - YES

3 phase? - NO (not that i saw)

water? - YES, just outside

drain? - YES, just outside

Access / restrictions? - NO, easy access, good track

floor material? - CONCRETE

roof condition? - EXCELLENT, the other half is his own workshop for the farm, and the building adjoining is rented by a brewery

wall material?- BRICK/BLOCK

nearest 'other person' - for noise restrictions and such. - WORKING FARM, so none really

etc etc

Al.

Size wise its about 16' wide and probably 45 ft long.

I have my own farm workshop and from my point of view when renting out space it's more to do with how much hassle it will as much as the price for the shed.

Most farmers are security concious and will be happier knowing that you won't have and endless stream of mates turning up at weekends, that there won't be a surplus of scrap cars appearing round the yard, and finally that you will pay and not leave them with what they perceive as a shed full of rubbish.

I would have thought £100 a month would be reasonable but as you can see from the other answers, money isn't the driving issue.

Cool, cheers for the info.

With regards to security i work on the basis that the less people who know the better and made that point when chatting to him today, whilst i might discuss what is there on here, i shant be saying where it is!!

Steve Hiatt's hit the nail on the head - hassle. My parents have stored cars for my mates for free in the past but it's sometimes turned sour when cars outstay their welcome, tools go walkies, you find random people wandering round etc, and it's more awkward to turf out friends. They've come to the conclusion that it's not generally worth the hassle, even for a price - it takes a lot of months to offset a missing welder / set of spanners / farm gate etc.

That said, they store a car and a boat for our plumber for free - he's never been a hassle, just him visiting once a month and he comes to the house first so we don't shoot at him. We've not seen a plumbing bill in years either ... :)

I also pay £25 a week, including power.

DSC_0020-1.jpg

God I hate you even more now :lol:

I pay £50 per month for a large single garage with power on a quiet farm.

The only problem is the dust :angry:

Mind you, when I changed my gearbox (all day event) one of the farmer brothers towed my hybrid in to a large dry barn and helped me finish the work at midnight even though he was supposed to go out with is fiancée that night :D

Marc.

Guest noggy

Ive got a purpose built 2400square foot workshop, three phase and a second floor at one end. Concrete floor, cement fibre roof and breeze block walls. water is outside. costly sum of... £0 thats the bonus of being a farmer!