Neat Stowage for Ratchet Straps

RichardAllen

Does anyone out there have a cunning means of storing ratchet straps neatly ? I use quite a few for strapping down roofrack loads, and they always end up in a horrible tangle. Someone must know how to do this better.

All help gratefully received on a minor but irritating problem.

Regards

Richard

No doubt the rubber bands are cut from cross sections of old inner tubes (from cars or lorries) or bicycle inner tubes, of varying wheel diameters, doubled or tripled (one tube wrapped round two or three times, not two or three tubes per ratchet!).

Somehow I don't think the alternative, of ex Post Office red elastic bands, will be quite up to the job. Pity, as they do seem easily available :-)

Cheers.

No doubt the rubber bands are cut from cross sections of old inner tubes (from cars or lorries) or bicycle inner tubes, of varying wheel diameters, doubled or tripled (one tube wrapped round two or three times, not two or three tubes per ratchet!).

Somehow I don't think the alternative, of ex Post Office red elastic bands, will be quite up to the job. Pity, as they do seem easily available :-)

Cheers.

no just get some heavy duty elastic bands they work a charm ;)

rob

i have a nice steady supply of these , the postie sits in his van at the bottom of the drive and sorts out his next drop

i have a nice steady supply of these , the postie sits in his van at the bottom of the drive and sorts out his next drop

The current red bands used by the post office do not appear to be as durable as the original brown version, so using the tail of the strop is the simplest solution.

• 2 months later...

I use a Tuppaware container....if you roll them up tightly you don't need elastic bands to keep them in place.

I do something similar. I have a dividers in it, one side for the long strap, the other for the ratchet part. Seems to do the trick for me.

Now my cargo net is a different matter. It's a large net with about a dozen hooks on it. The only way I've found of storing that is to use it! Any tips?

I saw a truck driver winding the straps on the side of a curtain-sider with a device which was essentially a fork made from two flat bars with a crank handle. You wind the strap on with the crank, then pull the device out the middle. He was using plastic clips to keep the straps tidy (like a big kirby-grip) - but a rubber band would work too.

It was only taking a few sec per strap - so quite a saving in time.

Si