MUD Defender stolen at Billing

Kev Baldwin

Having heard all of the stories over the years, this year was my year!

Stolen on Friday night from outside Holiday Inn off A45

2002 Epson Green Td5 90 - Reg K3MUD

Subtly modified (lack of 'Lets off -road' stickers!), but with lots of extras including....

Safety Devices external cage

255 BFG M/T (nearly new) on Boost alloys

Southdown sliders

Mantec snorkel

Mantec steering guard

Mantec Tank guard

Mantec window guards to rear quarter lights only

MSS Drawer

MSS Cubby

Safari Equip Track rod guard

OME suspension

MUD Rails

MUD Bulkhead Removal Bar

Aside from the above there were a number of subtle stealth mods of my own that to the untrained eye would appear to be factory fitted. For obvious reasons I'd rather not say what those features are, but there are enough of them hidden away to identify it as mine without a shadow of doubt.

Yep. I know chances are I'll never see it again, but there's a reward for anyone who offers any info that might help in its repatriation.

IMG_1071.jpg

ourcars6.jpg

BTW. I'm told mine was one of four Defenders taken from Hotel car parks on the Friday night.

Cheers Kev B

Sorry to hear of yet more thievery. Yours looks like a nice truck, I hope you get it back.

CCV on car-park....but no footage of anything

Makes you wonder what's the point of having CCTV :angry: I bet if you had driven over their flower beds they'd have had footage.

With all those goodies on board I wonder if the perpetrators knew quite how much they were getting???

What did you have in the way of security devices fitted? I imagine as a Td5 it had an engine immobilser as std.

I wouldn't list the security devices otherwise it might help them strip it etc if they just put it on a trailer

Really sucks that it happened though, I dread that happening to me :(

What I am more interested in, and what others may be too, is which devices have proved ineffective. I have two devices I have used over the years that claim (like most I expect) to be pretty hard to overcome.

We all know that nothing will stop someone who's sufficiently determined, but I would think a car taken from a hotel car park was probably driven away, not lifted by Hiab.

Very sorry to hear that Kevin!

It is always one of my nightmares when parking mine anywhere! To the extent that I would rather sleep "in it" than park it outside a hotel in England!

On a lighter note though.

If they are clever they will realize the extra value of your ownership and advertise it in LRM as "Ex K Baldwin LR90"

Unfortunately not very likely though :(:(

Very sorry to hear of anyones pride and joy being stolen. These thieving scum need clamping down on real hard! It's the only way to deter them long term!! The sentences most get when caught are laughable these days!!!

Lara

That's a great shame Kevin - and the others who had theirs stolen the same night.

Kev, was yours the only Land Rover in the car park or was yours targeted amongst several?

It would be interesting to try to profile what sort of trucks get nicked? Yours is very tidy, but not all that distinctive. I wonder if a similar spec truck plastered with stickers and distinctive markings would make it less attractive?

I know that when I went anywhere in my old yellow 90, I would get emails from people saying they saw me on the M6, in the Isle of Wight etc - so maybe stickers are good?

I must think up some fiendish revenge machine to add to my 110 to make whoever steals it wish they hadn't! I quite fancy the idea of putting a ram on the steering which just gives the steering a bit of a mind of it's own when traveling between say 5 & 10 mph. ;).

Si

I remember Porsche bringing out a trick like that on one of their 928 models in the 80's, the steering shot back and jammed you in the seat if you didn't have the right code etc, Some guy in the states got wedged and hurt by his own car and as you can imagine, Porsche were a little reluctant to leave it as an option after that :lol::lol:

I did once see a custom show bike that had a spike that shot out of the seat if you were not supposed to be riding it!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Painful but not un-deserved ;)

Lara,

Just Googled the Porsche thing and found nothing so it might be an "urban Myth" but it sounded good :D:D

Really sorry to hear about your landy been nicked, gutted for you.

If you have a garage or a gate these are great to protect your toys for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GATE-POST-ALARM-PROTECTS-GARAGES-FARM-GATES-SHEDS-/350353287254?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item5192aee856

They take a blank 12g shotgun cartridge, Will make the buggers think twice about nicking your motor after they have changed their duds and their ears have stopped ringing. Will wake you and all your neighbours too.

Hope you get it back.

I'm sure i read about a paintbomb type device, on a timer which went off after a preset time if it wasn't switched off and was filled with the skin staining dye they put in bank cases.

that'd be good, but very messy, and very annoying if you forgot to turn it off!

i heard about a ukranian guy who used to come in my friends shop and buy allsorts of electrical gubbins, he was fed up of getting his houseboat broken into so he made a setup running inverters to his metal handrail, came back one day to two large hand-shaped lumps of skin on the rail!

funny thing is the potential theif went crying to the police! who were not amused and gave him a strict telling off.

i never heard of him getting any break-ins after that though!

i fear we are getting off topic now though and will be shortly chastised...

I must think up some fiendish revenge machine to add to my 110 to make whoever steals it wish they hadn't! I quite fancy the idea of putting a ram on the steering which just gives the steering a bit of a mind of it's own when traveling between say 5 & 10 mph. ;).

I always thought that Land Rover had put one of those on as standard - it's called a Land Rover steering box.

pressure mat under the front seat cloth linked to a seriosuly loud siren, so when they sit on it they get a rather loud noise in a confined space???

or even a microswitch under the clutch pedal linked to the stop solenoid....

back O.T. though, it makes you wonder of the camera's had been altered so that they didn't cover the car parks. it has been known in the past for unscrupulous characters who work in hotels to work with car thieves by accidently moving the cameras etc...

it pays to make sure that when you park up at a generic roadside sleeping establishment to look for the cameras and park in range of one.

hope you hear something back about your truck though, would be devastated if my disco went, even though it's not kitted out or anything, it's still mine.

it pays to make sure that when you park up at a generic roadside sleeping establishment to look for the cameras and park in range of one.

gutted that your truck got taken matey :(

but as for parking in view of the camares dont bother , wasting your time . i parked my vehicle (my road car) in a premier inn in manchester last year and it was vandalised (smashed roof in) was a night mare trying to get accsess to camara footage (had to get a soilicitor involved) then when we did see 1 tape of 3 as only the pub next door not the primier inn would release the tape , the people can be seen coming in to the car park , leraving , returning damaging car and walking awy , only problem is footage is so carp it could have been any one and the police really really did not give a s***

will only park in secure gated hotels from now on

I'm reasonably sure data protection laws dictate you can get hold of any CCTV footage you're in, but as has been said most commercial CCTV is not good enough to be of any use or admissable in court, either through neglect (ancient tapes etc.) or just very low quality cameras/recorders.

Council/police CCTV is usually up to scratch, if there are cameras anywhere local to where stuff happened you can submit requests for copies of footage either containing you/your vehicle or possibly even the scrotes what took it.

As for the police not giving a ****, realistically the truck was probably in a container on its way somewhere far away before anyone knew it was gone.

I'd second the request to ask what security was fitted as it clearly didn't work so would save people wasting their money.

Sorry to hear about your truck.

I agree about the footage from external cameras. A friend of mine is manager of a bar, and cars frequently get done when left outside overnight. I have personally seen the footage a few times and sure enough there's the same guy in a hoodie walks up at 4.15am, smashes a window, grabs stuff and legs it. He can't do much, the cops can't do much with the footage, waste of time really. :(