some what odd!

white90

It's certainly different Tony but probably best kept in the forest where I should imagine it's at it's best.

Out of curiousity what happens to a vehicle's handling when the front axle is wider, does it have steering problems ?

Out of curiousity what happens to a vehicle's handling when the front axle is wider, does it have steering problems ?

Wouldn't know on the road, but off road it makes a big difference, we built rog's last trialer to have a 10" wider track at the front, made it turn out of ruts very well and once you'd got the front end through a gate you knew the back wouldn't touch.

Good spec on that 90" though, i find myself liking it a lot.

D60 front will see off any rover axle.

Unimogs have the front a few inches (not as much as 10) wider than the rear...

Not sure why, but I hear it's a good thing. Bit of a useless non-tech comment really... Sorry! :rolleyes:

Al.

P.S. - Never mind the D60, it's got a 14 bolt rear. That's beefy!

Isn't D60 = Salisbury?

I still can't work out why more people don't convert to Salisbury front & rear, people build axles all day long in the US but over here people seem to cr*p themselves if you mention anything to do with altering an axle casing...

Only thing wrong with it is it's a 90 :P apart from that, me like.

Isn't D60 = Salisbury?

I still can't work out why more people don't convert to Salisbury front & rear, people build axles all day long in the US but over here people seem to cr*p themselves if you mention anything to do with altering an axle casing...

Only thing wrong with it is it's a 90 :P apart from that, me like.

D60 is a sailibury but not as we know it.

rover salisburys use tiny halfshafts.

The closest we get to a D60 is a 101 axle, but even then the diff isn't running the biggest shafts it could.

Availibility of custom shafts was the biggest limiting factor to building your own axle but rakeway have steped into that void so who knows whats being built out there now.

Problem with different track width is that front and rear dont follow the same track, increasing resistance(theoretical). Nice piece though, I would like to see his winch set up (PTO front and rear). The forestry vehicle idea is interesting, would the cops buy this story when you live in london? Congestion charge, who knows.

Daan

To be fair I don't see rolling resistance as a big issue in a 2.5 tonne truck with appalling aerodynamics, offroad tyres at low pressures and a big engine etc etc.

The issues for this kind of application are more to do with stability and steering characteristics.

Al.

Hmmmm, that truck's familiar. Pictured here on round 2 of this years AWDC challenges:

CTR2p041.jpg

later on pictured like this:

CTR2p042.jpg

It was at Llanfyllin on round 4 last weekend, I followed it up to our first punch when something went bang in it. I think they were forced to retire without getting to the first punch.

From the ebay addy.

"LT77 and 1.6 transfer box, much stronger than R380, don't break layshafts!"

I've never heard mention of this b4, anyone able to enlighten me, I always thought that r 380s were superior to LT77s in every way?

Cheers, Steve.

Early R380's had a layshaft problem which led to a bad reputation, this was quickly rectified in later revisions but of course by then everyone was an expert - "Oooh no mate, R380's break".

I asked Ashcrofts about this before I bought my R380 and they said if you are buying an R380 from them it will be the latest (=strongest) revision internally and that they are indeed stronger than the LT77. If it's good enough for the Tomcat it's good enough for me!

If the vehicle is classed the same as a Fast Trac, surely it would then be limited to 40 mph on the public highway?

It looks to me that the front fairing is wider then the winch drum. Surely that would cause problems with spooling cable back onto the drum?

Have a look at the answer to questions. Something like if pulled by cops, the cops won't be interested if do a DVLA check as it would come back as a tractor. Now I would have thought that would have aroused the cops natural inquisitiveness and get them to do all sorts of checks!!!

So far no bids, but plenty of interest here! :D

Regards

Leeds

I'm not really surprised there's been no bids. I would want to make a truck like that, or at least supervise it's construction. Just buying one already made off of someone else isn't the same thing at all. The sellers comments about red diesel, tax and MOT exempt - while possibly true, are a bit of a put off for some reason. Almost as though it would attract attention from the Police.

Les. :)

D60 is a sailibury but not as we know it.

rover salisburys use tiny halfshafts.

The closest we get to a D60 is a 101 axle, but even then the diff isn't running the biggest shafts it could.

Availibility of custom shafts was the biggest limiting factor to building your own axle but rakeway have steped into that void so who knows whats being built out there now.

Rover Salisburies use 1.24" diameter 24 spline halfshafts - except for the 101 FC which had 1.47" 21 spline halfshafts. Dana 60's use 1.31" 30 spline or 1.5" 35 spline (also some old 1.3" 16 spline). A 101 FC axle should be almost as strong as a stock 35 spline D60.

I too do not understand why more people don't fit front salisburies.

The vehicle in question has a 14-bolt rear axle, which looks like a D60/Sals, but it even bigger and stronger again.

If this car is indeed MOT exempt and benefits from free tax disks then it must be registered as an agricultural vehicle. If this is the case then it can only be used legally on the road if it is in use for agricultural or forrestry purposes and no more than 1.5km from land owned or leased to ONE owner. In other words, no more the 1.5km from your own farm. This is a big issue with quads used on the road. Most are registered as agri. and taxed for free. For the time being the police are largely ignorant of the law and people get away with it but I undersatand that this is set to change. For the record, I changed my quad to PLG and it now costs me £110/year to tax it as a small car. :(

As far as the axles having different track, in some conditions this may prove an advantage - for example where the front wheels damage the surface and the rear wheels would otherwise suffer a lack of grip. It is more likely though that the front wheels will sink in soft mud and displace this mud to the sides as you progress. Generally the rear wheels are able to progress without having to displace more mud and therefor suffer no more resistance - unless the front and rear axles have a different track. Have you ever been in a convoy of vehicles and seen the guy at the front get stuck or have trouble when going through the first mud hole whehn the rest of the convoy gets through wasily, first go? The guy at the front has to fight his way through the mud and the rest just follow in the ruts he has cleared. Trust me, I lead a lot of convoys... :)

Chris