I quit

davegilsenan

I've had enough.

I bought a RRC last Feb. I knew it would be unreliable, need jobs doing etc and I wasn't wrong. It's just that every job, simple on a german car, turns into a massive ordeal. I drove it home and a few times before the centre viscous packed up. Changed that then gave it a service. Then the temp started climbing whne driving. So i changed the water pump, thermostat all the belts etc - again was a horrible chore - then had water leaks, redid some of the earlier jobs again.

Finally after months of fiddling, i got it finised today. I started it up........and out comes smoke from the belts/pulley area.

I closed the garage door and I never want to see the thing again.

In general its a nice example, used to run beautifully, got leather and all the toys, suspension works etc. I wonder if I'm better off breaking it for parts of selling it as a repairable?

:( :( :(

The funny thing is that even the most complex classic is a reasonably simple car by todays standard.Apart from the willingness to rust very quickly they are fairly well made.

Unlike,I have to say later BMW influenced models,where most of the problems I deal with are German design/build. L322 RR's and TD4 FL's being the worst.

Life was easy and rewarding when TDI's were in production......

It's easy to get frustrated with stuff like that, depends what you really want - if you bought a cheap reliable eurobox would you be secretly pining for the RRC or blissfully happy?

Sometimes (and I'm by no means accusing you of this) one can create more faults by fixing others, or end up spending money fixing the wrong thing, only for the root cause to fail a few miles down the road. For example - the number of people who do drastic things like buy new ECU's when it's a £5 sensor or loose connection at fault because they haven't come at the thing methodically, or don't understand the thing.

You didn't forget the antifreeze when filling up did you?  :ph34r:

No antifreeze = seized water pump = belt slip =  smokeyness.

Take a look in the cool light of day, and I am sure you will find it an easy fix, if not I will take it off your hands :P

I could'nt agree more with all the replies you've had so far. Take a break from the garage, turn your mind to other things for a while then seek help from other enthusiasts (or even a good independant if needs be) to get it sorted once & for all. Land-Rover products will always have the ability to give their owners stress from time to time but the Classics are still the easiest RR to put right & leave all the later models for dead when it comes to character. Throw in the towel too soon & I'll guarantee you will live to regret it, I have to use an independant for all but the most basic of problems but even with that financial burden the car still brings a smile to my face when I drive it, unlike the four-year-old M..... that's our daily driver :(

I can totally sympathise! I'm on my third RRC and again it's being broken for spares having had loads of time and effort poured into it. Mine has succumbed to terminal rust and after sitting for such a long time, it's no longer viable as I don't have the time/energy/inclination to do anything about it. Shame really!

As above, don't give up, you'll regret it.

Bear in mind that the newest RRC is now approaching 16 years old. How many German cars do you know see still on the road at this age?

If the previous owner has not lavished it with regular servicing and maintenance, there will most likely be a number of things that simply need replacing.

When any vehicle gets to that point the only way to keep it going is to systematically replace parts. This may not be a cheap process, but once you have got through it, you will hopefully have a reliable luxury car that will keep going for many more years with just a little routine care.

It can be easy to loose heart when you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Take a break from the Rangey (not too long, mind). I have days when I just can't be ar**d to work on cars, so the best thing is not to try. Come back another day when you feel in the right frame of mind and all will be well again :)

Hi.

I can relate to what your saying. I have 4 and none just quite right. Mine will let you down when I most needed them.

I need to sell 1 or 2, should be 2 really.

If it,s not your everyday drive stick with it for now. Remember why you bought it in the first place.

What everyone is saying is good advice, but you are the one who must decide. GOOD LUCK.

Could be worse, you could have a Micra :angry:

I was dissapointed to find it has a reno engine in it, just to make things worse. It's broken down 3 times in about 8 weeks.

3 1/2 hours to get the alternator off :huh: because you have to drop the engine.

Fuel filter? battery and air inlet system off (if you have LHD then take off the wiper mechanism and motor)

Now a stupid little plastic pipe has bust and I have no brakes (vacuum elbow on the pump).

It's 5 1/2 years old with 33,000miles on it. I expect to have trouble with a 15+year old Rover product and would rather fix one any day.

We owned a 1982 RRC and she gave us some heartache but SO much joy. She was our everyday car so our problem was she was just too thirsty. My brothers would tease me that I might as well drive a dump truck. But we all marveled at her incredible power and solid build- I had more than one run in with our local notorious "matatu" mini buses and each time the matatu driver was left licking his wounds and cursing himself for taking on our mighty Rangey LOL. Had major headaches with the alternator and the carbs initially. But my wise mech dug up an old Lucas alternator and Stromberg carbs from his garage and fitted them and from that day on she ran faithfully, never failing. I once drove her through a long rocky bypass with deep pits and nasty boulders everywhere and she was the only vehicle miles around aside from the construction machines. She could handle the worst terrain or weather, you name it, and after a quick wash you could proudly park next to any shiny new SUV. And on the road the drive and handling were very smooth for a 20-something year old car.

I sold her when our firstborn arrived (diapers are expensive nowadays) but I never regretted owning one. Infact I am pining for wifey to let me buy a late 80's 5-door RRC. There's nothing, absolutely nothing as beautiful as driving along the Rift Valley Escarpment, food and beer in the back, yelling out so you can be heard or trying to listen to a tune on the radio over the roar of the Rangey v8!

I've had 2 range rovers. One was an utter bucket. I poured money into it in the hope at some point it would all be fixed. Wrong.

Best thing I ever did was get rid.

The other was a tidy example that burst an airbag, and had a flat battery, (and if it could stop leaking in water that would be good too) but it mostly works and I do enjoy it.

So I'd get an impartial opinion from someone of whether it's a bucket or a tidy motor.

If it's tidy think about taking a breath and a spanner to it there is pleasure to be had, if it's a bucket take a hammer and angle cutter to it, still pleasure to be had but in a different way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...