All terrain vehicles - a bit OT

BogMonster

I have been asked at work to look into some all-terrain vehicles for carrying passengers.

It is a bit OT as Land Rovers are probably off the menu - they are one option but I don't really need info on that as I already have it to hand but the main problem is limited seating capacity.

What other all-terrain vehicles are there around for carrying passengers over soft terrain? Hagglunds BV206 is one option but I think very expensive - allegedly they can carry up to 17 people in the passenger variants but I bet they ain't comfortable and must be shoved in at least two deep!

Is there anything else similar - either wheeled or tracked - that is worth looking at?

No idea of budget at this time but the essential requirement is for some options for vehicles that can carry lots of people across soft peat, everything else is variable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, ta! :)

How about THIS big beast will take 38 people in air conditioned comfort!

that is absolutely AWESOME,

sod using it for moving peeps around a peat bog - that would be the ultimate expedition machine!!! blinds on every window for when you want privacy and some simple partition walls to make a bedroom, living room / kitchen and a bog room, it would be epic!

Hmm very nice truck no doubt. But you don't wanna put that somewhere really soft, not unless you have two more like it to tow it out with.. if you want to be absolutely sure you will arrive at any destination in any terrain there really is nothing like a tracked vehicle. BUT, if you're planning om covering a lot of road miles. It's no good..

Thanks I'd already looked at the 38 seater but it's based on the big MAN fire appliance chassis and last time the RAF went tally-ho off into the boonies here with one of those to fight a grass fire I heard they planted it within a few hundred yards of the road... just too heavy for deep peat. Think they had fun getting it out too...

Awesome vehicle though :)

What about those arctic tour buses - 4x4 with monster terra tyres, they are used for beach tours in NZ and Oz too , also I'd look at the masters of traversing bog with vehicles , the Russian army/oil exploration users.

ZiL make the Archimedes (sp?)twin screw drive exploration vehicle ...but that may be a step too far ;)

..or keep it simple and make it a 4x4 quad each with terra tyres :P

If I can find some pics of these choices I'll post them

cheers

Steveb

edit to add :

post-1339-074129200 1291906787_thumb.jpg

post-1339-063976600 1291906819_thumb.jpg

post-1339-099474500 1291906841_thumb.jpg

post-1339-055653000 1291906999_thumb.jpg

post-1339-020572800 1291907127_thumb.jpg

:) mmm

I've just been re-reading a book by Robert Fox, a BBC reporter who came across with the Army in 1982.

He mentioned some 'small tanks' (Scimitars and Scorpions) that had been brought across, and were reckoned to have a low ground pressure, lower or as low as a typical squaddie. He didn't go into how many pounds were in the squaddies back pack.

Robert Fox also relayed the story from one of their officers that these vehicle were fast on tarmac roads, in one case getting 'told off' for exceeding the speed limit down the M1, on the way back from exercise. The real crime being that they overtook the General in his car!!

Robert Fox, Eyewitness Falklands, A personal account of the Falklands campaign. Published by Methuen London Ltd.

ISBN 0-413-52290-3 (Hardback)

ISBN 0-413-52300-4 (Paperback) pages 32 to 34.

What about a PistenBully, the ultimate snow mobile, but also widely used on low ground pressure applications, particularly peat handling, so should be ideal. Second hnd ones start at around €30,000, new 'special purpose' ones are €100,000 plus, which is much cheaper than a Hugglund.

post-5209-024009500 1291916163_thumb.jpg

hi,

here are a couple of options that havent been used so far.

http://www.loglogic.co.uk/productrange.php

http://www.scot-track.co.uk/scottrack.htm

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/vehicles/warv/vehvolvo.htm

the loglogic soft trak is a very capable machine. i have personally driven two types of these. a three seater pick up and a nine seater (which would suit you better) ive used them both in scotland on Rannoch moor for mainly red deer extraction over severe soft peat and rocks. it will go most places you point it! Where i work, they recently bought one instead of hiring and with all the accesories (winch, spotlamp, extra six seats in rear, roll bar etc.) it was the deep end of 50k!! and there a british company, made in Devon.

the scot trak is no where near as big as the above but alot bigger than the best argo. would seat six okay.

if you drive it on floatation wheels its okay but not as good as tracks, but if you run the tracks around the smaller wheels (you have to do that) you will constantly be repairing punchers from the track pinching the bead. and its a pr*** of a job because the track has to come undone each time. but yet very good on soft terrain, hard ride tho!

have also used the hagglunds and the volvo bv202e. which is slighlty less heard off. the hagglunds was constantly breaking down, and overheating. it had a genuine ford v6 original. would do about 35 mph on hill roads with 20 people quite tightly packed inside, you would fit 25 without dogs and gear. though it is meant for snow, would do just over 50mph on snow. bloody quick.

hth jack.

Based on my own experience on MAN vehicles, i would stay well clear.

At my work we have approx 40 MAN vehicles.

Regular issues with diagnostics shutting engines down or going into limp home mode.

Auto transmissions do not select correct gear on steep terrain.

Traction virtually non-exsistant in wet. Snow-forget it.

4 instances of water in fuel system costing £12000 a time to repair.

Terrible build quality.

Regular breakdowns.

Poor customer care- example, broke down last monday in a MAN urban artic.

Local dealer came out and locate fault to an air distibution valve.

Rang his dealer up to locate a replacement.

Guess where nearest part was?

Germany!!! and i was in York.

Took 'til Friday for the part to come and us to get the unit back.

See if Volvo do anything appropriate, just stay clear of MAN's, as my employer is, once their lease runs out!!

Hope this helps.

Chris

From the original post it sounds like you need a cross between a Defender and a Minibus. So what about a County converted Transit bus? they are very capable for what they are with the bonus of off-the shelf parts pretty much everywhere. The axles used to be DANA and somewhat stronger than the rest of the drivetrain so basically if you bust anything you'll bust the Ford bits.

If you have more money what about a Pinzguar, do they do a people carrier?

I have been asked at work to look into some all-terrain vehicles for carrying passengers.

It is a bit OT as Land Rovers are probably off the menu - they are one option but I don't really need info on that as I already have it to hand but the main problem is limited seating capacity.

What other all-terrain vehicles are there around for carrying passengers over soft terrain? Hagglunds BV206 is one option but I think very expensive - allegedly they can carry up to 17 people in the passenger variants but I bet they ain't comfortable and must be shoved in at least two deep!

Is there anything else similar - either wheeled or tracked - that is worth looking at?

No idea of budget at this time but the essential requirement is for some options for vehicles that can carry lots of people across soft peat, everything else is variable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, ta! :)

Are you looking into 2. hand vehicles or new ones? Is cost of transportation to your location a big issue that will affect vehicle choice?

If you are looking for 2. hand vehicles consider the older members of the Hagglunds family like the BV202, they are becoming available as military surplus for reasonable money. Also look into the Volvo C303 family, for maximum carrying capacity consider the the three axle version.