Another tray back in build...

SteveG

Good link and a bit different. Rear half of chassis completely replaced on this one and Dana 44s as well inc 3 link front.

Guess the next round of developments will see the cab's replaced.

Why did they buy the 90 Station Wagon? Apart from the front chassis and perhaps the steering box they have sold or thrown everything else away! Even the cab is now a truck cab.

:lol::lol:

There seems to be a lot of these being built at the moment, how long before the ministry catch up with them all :unsure:

I cant see a problem with VOSA ,so long as the vehicles in question are built properly and to a high standard with all lighting and body modifications matching the guidelines.

Not sure about radical chassis modifications ,Surely they must be subject to an SVA test.

I cant see a problem with VOSA ,so long as the vehicles in question are built properly and to a high standard with all lighting and body modifications matching the guidelines.

Not sure about radical chassis modifications ,Surely they must be subject to an SVA test.

Think you are right there!!! That is main reason i have not gone to a "full tube set up" cant be botherd with the paper work rubbish and insurance probs.

Think you are right there!!! That is main reason i have not gone to a "full tube set up" cant be botherd with the paper work rubbish and insurance probs.

OK

Add a cage to a standard truck cab

Then why not do a tubular tray back, then get the man from VOSA to sign it off.... :)

Then 'modify' that to put into a set of 'converted' tubular front wings... :ph34r:

Which leaves you with a full tube vehicle which is signed off by the man from VOSA... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Peter

Not sure what the point is of cutting the chassisrails of, unless you like to achieve more bump, but that is not the case here. the main rails are only 2 mm thick so I cant see the weight being an issue either. Do I miss something here?

From a purely engineering point of view, I'd be concerned about that trayback. The chassis forms a (nearly) planar backbone for the car, and is heavy because of it. Weight can be saved by going tubular and passing stress through the cage higher up, effectively you use the roof rails to recover the second moment of area for the whole structure.

My concern here is that the cage isn't able to bear that stress around the windscreen hoop (unless it's invisibly reinforced beneath the body, but it still can't be great) and the four tubes that form the 'chassis rails' on the conversion aren't really far enough apart to give the kind of rigidity that the car needs. I'd be willing to bet the torsional stiffness is well down, and won't recover much when the diagonal is put in the main hoop.

Interesting idea, but IMHO you can't convert half the vehicle to spaceframe and leave half chassis-based without some nasty bending stress concentrations. There's serious weight savings available in a carefully-stressed full frame, but you can't go half and half.

So if this and vehicles like it turn up to an event where scruineering requires road legal vehicles what will happen? It needs an SVA for the tube conversion. NO SVA no entry?? Somehow I doubt it but it needs to happen. (Same for people running non-approved tyres.)

The only reason to do this to the rear of a vehicle is to use decent tube and change all the suspension to 4 links and coilovers (or quarter eliptics). Otherwise it is seems pretty pointless. But if it's what the guy wants to do then more power to him. Just get an SVA.

But then they say "its a spaceframe rear chassis". What does that mean??? Is it a spaceframe or a chassis? Get the basics right before you do radical engineering.

By the way, been looking at a "true" spaceframe with torsional rigidity of 7500 Nm per degree. Thats about twice a "normal" monocoque saloon car! :D

FB

So if this and vehicles like it turn up to an event where scruineering requires road legal vehicles what will happen? It needs an SVA for the tube conversion. NO SVA no entry?? Somehow I doubt it but it needs to happen. (Same for people running non-approved tyres.)

FB

eeeek

It might just be me working slow, but unless there was a small army working on that car there is no way it was built in 10 days.

Really bad front suspension geometry, looks like a recipe for chronic bump steer, no articulation and a bent axle case.

From a purely engineering point of view, I'd be concerned about that trayback. The chassis forms a (nearly) planar backbone for the car, and is heavy because of it. Weight can be saved by going tubular and passing stress through the cage higher up, effectively you use the roof rails to recover the second moment of area for the whole structure.

My concern here is that the cage isn't able to bear that stress around the windscreen hoop (unless it's invisibly reinforced beneath the body, but it still can't be great) and the four tubes that form the 'chassis rails' on the conversion aren't really far enough apart to give the kind of rigidity that the car needs. I'd be willing to bet the torsional stiffness is well down, and won't recover much when the diagonal is put in the main hoop.

Interesting idea, but IMHO you can't convert half the vehicle to spaceframe and leave half chassis-based without some nasty bending stress concentrations. There's serious weight savings available in a carefully-stressed full frame, but you can't go half and half.

Exactly my thoughts. There is no visible triangulation to the stress points, it relies upon the strength of the steel rather than the design of the frame.