How do these people not get rumbled?

Dunc

Browsing eBay whilst I await my hoe to bring me my dinner... ;)

I found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1966-LAND-ROVER-88-INCH-HYBRID-V8-4X4-CLASSIC-OFF-ROAD-DEFENDER-BLACK-SILVER-/150671410366?_trksid=p4340.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D6%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3287693429324318337

which is a link to this

$(KGrHqR,!k4E6FC+9WqTBOiiHK06Hg~~60_12.JPG

and is listed as a 1966 tax-exempt Landy.

In the description he cites a RRC chassis, 3.5 V8 and somehow 'Series 3'...

One bloke has asked a question as to how it's retained its original ID, but the response is minimal!

Lovely looking little truck, but surely a candidate for getting nabbed for VIN-swap or not going through VOSA for potential 'Q' plate.

Nowt to do with me I know, but just thought I'd share. Cheers. :D

I don't understand this forum sometimes. Why do people feel it is their morale duty to ridicule others. Yes it is not as legal as it could be but do you look at ll the hookey clothing on fleabay and ask them questions as to wether it was sewn in a sweat shop up North somewhere? I don't expect you do.

Anyone buying this and not understanding what it is deserve to get shafted. There is no need to announce it to the world. If you are so concerned have you reported it to Ebay? Or the Police? Prob not.

It states a 'classic V8 coil sprung chassis, so maybe he spent hard earned on a custom jobbie from Richards? In which case he may just be inside the law.

Some are so blatant it's easy to laugh, this one isn't so clear if you ask me.

:)

I don't understand this forum sometimes. Why do people feel it is their morale duty to ridicule others. Yes it is not as legal as it could be but do you look at ll the hookey clothing on fleabay and ask them questions as to wether it was sewn in a sweat shop up North somewhere? I don't expect you do.

Anyone buying this and not understanding what it is deserve to get shafted. There is no need to announce it to the world. If you are so concerned have you reported it to Ebay? Or the Police? Prob not.

NO - people do NOT deserve to get shafted, thats like saying that old people deserve to get robbed if they answer the door to a rogue trader. I have to do everything the right way or i'd get fined etc, and these $£*cking people shouldn't be any different. I bet you wouldn't be saying this if you'd got screwed over? I hope vosa see it and crush the *%$king thing.

:angry2:

I'm with the other comments above leave the bloke alone, his choice.

If you wish to "play that game", you may as well point your finger at any truck that has had it's chassis modified in any shape or form and now requires an iva, sva, abc etc - that'd be half this forum :lol:

G

Perhaps the OP was wondering how the owners of such vehicles manage to get away without being picked up by the authorities, either by DVLA or at the roadside by VOSA?

As for people potentially buying a pup; well, it is 'caveat emptor' isn't it? Either you know your stuff or you employ someone who does in order to avoid getting ripped off privately OR you go to a garage and benefit from the UK Sale of Goods act. Simple.

Chris

off road toad-people getting shafted, if they buy this then there could be a minimal chance, but thats their problem, end of!!! but 'you' getting fined, well the good people always get caught out, in a way its now wonder why people turn to the dark side! and the fact you said to scrap that is beyond belief! :o tax- every motorcar has to be taxed, its just the price that varies! and i will agree with you, its a nice truck! :wub:

now im not saying this is perfectly legit but we dont have the evidence to say it isn't!, so innocent until proven guilty...

its a truck with a rrc chassis and running gear with a S3 body and defender face lift, thats it!

i hate these topics so much!! they are so pointless! we cant prove anything, so whats the point in debating it? :angry2:

How do people get away with it?

I have said this many times but.

The majority of the modified cars in Classic Ford are tax exempt with different engines, axles, gearbox, chassis work. Tax exempt UK ford dragster with US V8 engine on a tube frame chassis??

The modified 4x4s in magazines for the same reason apart from the rare articles about the forumers on here who put theirs through to a Q plate.

An article about an old 2 door RR with a new chassis new axles new 4 door body Injected 3.9 new auto with new transfer box and Tax exempt??

I had a hybred until I realised there are too many unknowns, I did not sell it on as it is not OK for the next owner unless he knows exactly what he was getting. My mate wanted a LR for towing horses but I did not suggest mine, he later rang me to look at a 90 on fleebay for his daughter, it turned out to be as this one but not as nice, I told him to walk away.

So why is it so common on this forum to see topics like this? Either we are more honest than most or we like complaining?

Maybe a bit of both :D

Marc

Surely, it depends when it was built, which most people forget, if it was built pre the points system, surely he or she is OK.

Why, when using the above example is nobody jumping around about this then....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tomcat-trial-land-rover-off-road-racer-comp-safari-88-/260863149789?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cbca7c6dd

I am not a big fan of the points system, but i dont agree with the forum condeming a seller to the stocks when we dont have the facts. The forum are not judge, and jury on this.

What makes me qualified to say this, well, i have been requested to attend a V OSA's facility, with my Series 1 coiler... Mine i know is OK, BUT V OSA's would not, and neither would DVLA offer any kind of supporting documentation to me... Lucky for me i have no plans to sell....

What makes me qualified to say this, well, i have been requested to attend a V OSA's facility, with my Series 1 coiler... Mine i know is OK, BUT V OSA's would not, and neither would DVLA offer any kind of supporting documentation to me... Lucky for me i have no plans to sell....

Say I bought your series 1 coiler and had no documentary proof of when the conversion was done, or of it being checked by VOSA. One day I get the attend a VOSA facility 'request' ..... is the onus on me to prove the conversion was done before a certain date or them to prove it was done after? Just curious about this....

That Mr Wabbit is a very good question, and one i put to the authorities myself.... Along the lines of " if i have a problem in the future or i want to sell (even though i dont) how do i protect me, or any prospective buyer from this happening again in the future"??

I was assured that all my documentation supplied at the time would be coppied, and stored on file, for ever and ever ah men... Now, how much confidence i/we have on the filing system in place is another matter....

In addition i have a new log book with some keys words noted regarding modifications, i can't recall the 2 words exactly, but along the line of Altered Vehicle...

IMHO, you can't go round pointing fingers of blame to anything that is tax excempt... How many 90's are running around on galv chassis from another motor that dont have matching number???

Again IMHO the point of the current system is to stop criminals making financial gain from vehicle ringing, to build a vehicle of this type 20 years ago was normal, and PC... it now isnt PC that doesnt mean that these vehicles should be condemned any more than green laning used to be PC, and now isn't....

I'll leave the nursery door ajar in case anyone would like to bring some more toys....

That Mr Wabbit is a very good question, and one i put to the authorities myself.... Along the lines of " if i have a problem in the future or i want to sell (even though i dont) how do i protect me, or any prospective buyer from this happening again in the future"??

I was assured that all my documentation supplied at the time would be coppied, and stored on file, for ever and ever ah men... Now, how much confidence i/we have on the filing system in place is another matter....

In addition i have a new log book with some keys words noted regarding modifications, i can't recall the 2 words exactly, but along the line of Altered Vehicle...

IMHO, you can't go round pointing fingers of blame to anything that is tax excempt... How many 90's are running around on galv chassis from another motor that dont have matching number???

Again IMHO the point of the current system is to stop criminals making financial gain from vehicle ringing, to build a vehicle of this type 20 years ago was normal, and PC... it now isnt PC that doesnt mean that these vehicles should be condemned any more than green laning used to be PC, and now isn't....

I'll leave the nursery door ajar in case anyone would like to bring some more toys....

Cheers for the reply, VOSA's response shows a big hole in the whole system really.

Say you built and sold your coiler before 1998 it might never have been inspected (other than MOT) and it's quite likely the car may have changed hands many times and documentation lost (as it wasn't required before the sva was introduced). If VOSA today stopped you, they would have no documentation on file as they had never inspected it and the owner would have no paper work as it had been lost (very likely to happen if it had been through a dealer!).

What now happens to a legitimate car? My guess is a big headache for the owner and a Q plate :(

Or maybe they are pragmatic about it and if all the parts look old enough they give you the benefit of the doubt.... assuming you haven't subsequently replaced the parts during ongoing maintenance.... :blink:

Where is the lid to this can of worms?

Where is the lid to this can of worms?

Bit of a problem there as the lid was put down amongst some other worm can lids (lucas wiring, caliper piston seals, engine transplant issues etc etc), as such we cannot prove the lids identity and it is therefore currently away having its sva-iva-abc test in order to properly quantify its existance in the eyes of the powers that be.