But where would you tie the rope?

As I was driving today I thought about last winter and the possibility of the same snow and slush this year and people with stuck vehicles.

Then I realized if I came across someone with their car stuck in snow or in a ditch, embarrassingly I wouldn’t know what to fix the rope to on my 90 :blush: , to pull them out. Looped around rear chassis legs or jate ring/s as I don’t have a tow bar on my 90?

Cheers

J

Hey J,

Well unless you are perfectly happy with towing people out of such situations then I wouldn't try. I have a tow ball with recovery eye/pin set up on the back and 2 recovery loops on the bumper, i have correctly rated towing gear in good condition and generally happy to give someone a tow if everything looks ok to me.

Its tough, but there is always the chance that if you do anything wrong you could hurt someone at least damage the towed vehicle more... or you're own truck, at the end of the day you dont want to make a situation worse.

Its not difficult to bolt a simple recovery loop plate to your rear crossmember to give you a proper recovery point I wouldn't try a recovery on any other part of the vehicle unless it is an emergancy.

Mav

I like to do recoveries off the front of my vehicle, ie. in reverse. That way I can see what is happening. I use the towbar at the back if I have to, and the steering guard has recovery points at the front if I'm not using the winch (which is preferred for control). Also a towbar on front bumper for light tugs.

I would agree with the above though, if the car is in a ditch everyone's okay and it's safely out of the way then leave it there for the (insured!) experts to deal with. An incapacitated car in an inconvenient or unsafe place I would move out of the way to make the situation safe, but no more than that.

Any actual accident involving damage to a vehicle or third party, or injuries to persons, I would leave to the police to deal with. Not worth getting involved (unless of course there is a direct threat to life etc. where I would like to think I would do my best to help!).

• Like 1

I actually extracted an x-type jag last winter from a ditch, with supervision from the police... (hmm they mainly just watched) they where very nice about it all, thanked me for saveing them a rather lot of time, the owner was rather pleased to on all accounts too, but i was in that case happy to accept responsibility for my actions, and like to think I thought through the situation before I got on it.

Always let the owner of the stuck vehicle attach a rope to thier vehicle, never choose a tow point for them

Unless you think its unsafe or would not work. That kind of selective "lack of responsability" can just get you into more trouble. you either say "I can get you out - my way" and accept responsibility, or say "sorry chap - you want a lift?" - In my humble opinion that is :i-m_so_happy:

i pulled a tecso delivery van out last year. They had left the towing eye in the depot not that it was much use as they had to come out backwards.

spoke to the boss man in their office first to ask where he wanted the rope put as they have nothing on the back at all

main reason was they were on the outside of a corner half blocking the icey country road in a blizzard likely to cause a bigger accident than leaving them their.

Also worth noting I regularily marshall and recover vehicles at both shows and off road events. So both my vehicle and kit are up to the job

i towed a beemer up a hill once, for a bit of diesel money. land rovers are VERY thirsty aparently when towing a 3 series in the snow!!!

there have been others i have chuckled about, and waved as ive driven past them, my rule is, if there in my way, ill offer to tow them out.

i will also explain to them the situation, so as they know what im thinking, and can object if they want to. obviouslt i will also point out any problems that can occur, i.e. car in ditch or up wall. (could scrape coming out) usually they aer at the point where they dont care if they get 1 or 2 more scratches on the sill.

i dont do big accidents, obviously, proffesionals are usually on the case quicker than anyone.

Towed quite a few out last year, but did have at least one Eurobox where none of us could identify anywhere to put a tow-rope, a slot for the towing eye, or anything you'd even be able to put a rope round. Pulled some chap's saab out of the back of some chap's van, that made quite a selection of expensive noises but at least the chap in the van could get going again :lol:

I've heard it said you shouldn't really do recovery in reverse as it's the weakest gear in the box, although I'd hope the average landy would be able to pull a eurobox along in the snow without breaking a sweat.

As for taking money, that's dodgy ground from all sorts of points of view - if there's more fun this year my plan is to tell people to make a donation to the Air Ambulance as it's SLRC's nominated charity.

My thoughts:

If it's a eurobox, never allow the rope to jerk tight when towing - it's amazing how little force it takes to tear them apart otherwise.

If it's a eurobox, only use it's towing point or (with care) it's towball - it's amazing how little force it takes to tear them apart otherwise.

If it's a eurobox, be extra careful when using a towing point at an angle - it's amazing how little force it takes to tear them apart otherwise.

(The above three thoughts are inspired by my time in a scrap yard)

I would not normally recover ditched or crashed vehicles as there is too much possibility of upsetting police crash investigators or insurance. If crashed vehicle is in a dangerous position I would do what I can to mitigate that using my red triangle (you do carry one - right?) and maybe my car. Lest year I came across a car half in a ditch around a sharp bend after a long straight on snow. The first motorist to see it had parked at the end of the straight with hazards on where he could be seen for about a mile, and in the other direction he had set up his triangle - very sensible I thought.

I would generally help people get going up a hill in snow for example, but would tell them how I propose to do it, and ask that they accept responsibility for any damage before proceeding. I do however, have a niggling little bit of resentment about the way that people assume that you have nothing better to do than pull half-a-dozen cars up a hill. Oh, they are appreciative if you help, but what gives them the right to get angry if you don't?

But back to the original question - you should only use proper towing equipment (rope, strops, shackles etc) made for the purpose and attached to proper strong points on your Land Rover.

Obviously all bets are off if I thought that there was danger to life or limb - then I would have to do whatever I could with whatever I had, but would really think hard about not making things worse.

Roger

My thoughts:

If it's a eurobox, never allow the rope to jerk tight when towing - it's amazing how little force it takes to tear them apart otherwise.

If it's a eurobox, only use it's towing point or (with care) it's towball - it's amazing how little force it takes to tear them apart otherwise.

If it's a eurobox, be extra careful when using a towing point at an angle - it's amazing how little force it takes to tear them apart otherwise.

I would not normally recover ditched or crashed vehicles as there is too much possibility of upsetting police crash investigators or insurance. If crashed vehicle is in a dangerous position I would do what I can to mitigate that using my red triangle (you do carry one - right?) and maybe my car. Lest year I came across a car half in a ditch around a sharp bend after a long straight on snow. The first motorist to see it had parked at the end of the straight with hazards on where he could be seen for about a mile, and in the other direction he had set up his triangle - very sensible I thought.

I would generally help people get going up a hill in snow for example, but would tell them how I propose to do it, and ask that they accept responsibility for any damage before proceeding. I do however, have a niggling little bit of resentment about the way that people assume that you have nothing better to do than pull half-a-dozen cars up a hill. Oh, they are appreciative if you help, but what gives them the right to get angry if you don't?

But back to the original question - you should only use proper towing equipment (rope, strops, shackles etc) made for the purpose and attached to proper strong points on your Land Rover.

Obviously all bets are off if I thought that there was danger to life or limb - then I would have to do whatever I could with whatever I had, but would really think hard about not making things worse.

Roger

Exactly what Roger says, some super good advice. :i-m_so_happy:

My thoughts:

Reminded me of this recovery I saw on youtube :)

I't's not like tugging a 4x4 out :blink:

PS the language is a litte colourful once or twice

Years ago one of my friends pulled a car off a dry stone wall, it burst the fuel line and went on fire. He then spent a lot of time with the police as the owner wanted him done. At the end he got away with it but it does go to show that people are only great full when it all goes well. I will recover people but make sure that they except full responsibility if things go pear shape. Makes me think twice. "O" I don't recover idiots, last year a BM passed me on a very slippy road and about a mile further on I found him stuck in a fence - gave him a nice wave as I passed by. He was OK but his car was a mess.

It's got nothing to do with Health and Safety (you're not at work, so...), but everything to do with the fear of litigation yes.

Funnily enough the chap who agreed at the time that he'd take all responsibility for any damage will forget he said anything of the like when it comes to crunch time!

• Like 1

It's got nothing to do with Health and Safety (you're not at work, so...), but everything to do with the fear of litigation yes.

Funnily enough the chap who agreed at the time that he'd take all responsibility for any damage will forget he said anything of the like when it comes to crunch time!

What happens with all the 4x4 response volunteer services? I know they have insurance but obviously they will be doing something to minimise the chance of having to claim on it. Do they get people to sign disclaimers?

What you do at pay and play sites is one thing.

Helping stranded motorists is another. I would assist a motorist from an upside down car and make it safe by turning the ignition off and disconnecting the battery (and in fact I have done so).

I'll happily tow strugling BMWs up hills.

I leave ditched or crashed cars alone - I'd only make an exception if I thought the car was likely to cause another crash if left.

The problem I usually have is that non of my recovery gear fits on most vehicles. I remember once having to bump start a friend's car in Snowdonia a couple of winters ago and only just managed to get the shackle through the eye on the Micra. And that had a pretty large recovery loop on it.

Once had to give a 4x4 at Bisley a tug out of a ditch and ended up having to find a smaller rope because there were no suitable points to put my tow ropes onto it... :closedeyes:

• 11 years later...
On 11/27/2011 at 10:17 PM, Maverik said:

Hey J,

Well unless you are perfectly happy with towing people out of such situations then I wouldn't try. I have a tow ball with recovery eye/pin set up on the back and 2 recovery loops on the bumper, i have correctly rated towing gear in good condition and generally happy to give someone a tow if everything looks ok to me.

Its tough, but there is always the chance that if you do anything wrong you could hurt someone at least damage the towed vehicle more... or you're own truck, at the end of the day you dont want to make a situation worse.

Its not difficult to bolt a simple recovery loop plate to your rear crossmember to give you a proper recovery point I wouldn't try a recovery on any other part of the vehicle unless it is an emergancy Towing Services needed.

Mav

I just bought a 2022 AWD pilot special edition and now I want to get a Sea Doo Switch 21ft boat approx. 3300lbs with trailer. Anyone doing this? If I get factory installed towing package with cooler do you think I will have any issues? I'm curious on how it will do on steep boat ramps. I'm in FL so don't need to worry about towing around hills.