New MoT Testable Items from 01 Jan 2012

Puffernutter

They changes it to save cash, the old certificates were very expensive to produce, but now everything is fully computerized, have no real benefit to anyone.

Even the reminder sticker has been dragged into the 21st century and been replaced by an SMS :)

i thought that you could leave the airbags disconnected anyway as there is no legal requirement for them to have to work

i had a main dealer disable the airbags once when i used to have a baby seat in the front

does this mean that i have to get the airbag system working again

i thought that you could leave the airbags disconnected anyway as there is no legal requirement for them to have to work

i had a main dealer disable the airbags once when i used to have a baby seat in the front

does this mean that i have to get the airbag system working again

You will have to get the airbag light to function as it should, to get a pass under these new rules, the correct sequence will be printed in the vsi data on the mot testers inspection sheet.

not if you pit a baby seat in the passenger seat when it comes to MOT time

Having a baby seat will not the abs light being a failure, on the systems where you can turn the passenger airbag off there is usually a separate warning light to say it's been turned off.

"Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps" - All in the wording, is the official line still to ignore HID retrofit then?

The line above reads to me that they will only be checking these devices when they are fitted, if they aren't fitted they won't check them.

Doesn't seem to have been any mention of the catalyst check a few places have highlighted, a visual check to make sure a cat is fitted rather that just relying on a emissions test.

I had also always assumed, seemingly incorrectly, that a split/missing/damages boot on a ball-joint was a fail. Either way it's good practice to replace one if it fails, they're not very expensive.

My Nissan patrol Air bag, went wrong 2 years ago after spending a fortune to "fix" is under warranty it did it 2 weeks after the warranty ran out too, they want 2k to replace the wiring loom! Light now wired into the engine management light so it goes out on its own!!

Hey Les, here in South Africa oil leaks are a fail. However, all you do is get the underside steam cleaned and then get underneath with a rag at the testing place. Actually I don't have to do that as testing is only done on change of owner (stupid, yes, but true). So my 1995 Defender has never been tested at all and never will at the rate I am going :hysterical:

"Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps" - All in the wording, is the official line still to ignore HID retrofit then?

The line above reads to me that they will only be checking these devices when they are fitted, if they aren't fitted they won't check them.

I do not know about LED headlamps, but HID have to have automatic cleaning and self levelling systems fitted by law, so if HID are fitted then they must have cleaning and levelling systems.

Chris

Oil leaks to be a failure item? that's going to knock out most LR products! I've even seen new Defenders in the showroom with drip trays under them. I agree about the 'new' MOT cert. typical government - keep jacking up the price & doing their level best to force older vehicles off the road whilst they can't even give you a decent quality cert.

Oil leaks to be a failure item? that's going to knock out most LR products! I've even seen new Defenders in the showroom with drip trays under them. I agree about the 'new' MOT cert. typical government - keep jacking up the price & doing their level best to force older vehicles off the road whilst they can't even give you a decent quality cert.

driptrays under vehicles in showrooms is standard practice, just to prevent the floor being contamiated & any slips of staff when the vehicle are moved.

I thought new regulations couldnt be applied to vehicles already on the road?

certain things cannot be applied to older cars ie airbag systems and cats to name a couple, but otherwise, if it's fitted, it's testable. at the end of it all, the MOT is designed to make sure a vehicle is roadworthy (on the day of the test only) and complies to a minimum set of standards.

count yourselves lucky it's not Japan, they have a test every 6 months, and that is tough, hence the large numbers of imported Jap spec cars with low mileage about, it's not uncommon for a car to fail it's test with only 20/30k on the clock over there, and be uneconomical to fix

My speedo is 100% correct. When the car is parked....

It has never worked since I rebuilt the truck, the differences between 300Tdi engine looms and V8 interior looms got me so hacked off in the end I just downladed a speedo app.

Often wondered why they havent raised an eyebrow that the milage reading has been the same for the last two years, and will be again at 9am on Thursday morning :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had a reminder from a friend who's just had their fiesta MoT'd...'new regs in force, you need to get your speedo working!', just thought I'd check back here and we all seem to think accuracy is not important as long as the needle moves and you can read it at night....do we still think this is true? I do intend fixing it, think we've settled on 3.54 diffs and 7.50 tyres so it'll be worth me paying for a fix now, its just a case of whether I absolutely have to do it before June, or whether I can get away with it if I still havent done it by then!

nudge, anyway!

I've just had a reminder from a friend who's just had their fiesta MoT'd...'new regs in force, you need to get your speedo working!', just thought I'd check back here and we all seem to think accuracy is not important as long as the needle moves and you can read it at night....do we still think this is true? I do intend fixing it, think we've settled on 3.54 diffs and 7.50 tyres so it'll be worth me paying for a fix now, its just a case of whether I absolutely have to do it before June, or whether I can get away with it if I still havent done it by then!

nudge, anyway!

Well the online MOT handbook doesn't mention testing for accuracy, most concern seems to be with broken glass and visibly not able to work. So you are probably safe if the needle moves and the bulb glows :)

Just read a column in LRM, written by Ross Floyd. He is talking about the new MOT regulations from January. One that he listed is as follows: Catalytic converters must be present if they were original fitment. I can't say I have seen this elsewhere on any of the lists of new regs. If true, its a bit worrying to the likes of me having de-catted my TD5 last year. This item would not even qualify under the retrospective arguement as it was original fitment.

According to the Registration number my vehicle is LEZ compliant, however, I think with the Cat and EGR removed it probably no longer is.

What do the experts think ? :unsure: